1911 issues

Macv276
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all

I have a Umarex 1911 which has been a total workhorse up until now. 

However, recently it has developed an annoying habit where the hammer sometimes doesn't stay in the cocked position- it's an intermittent problem and it doesn't make any difference whether it's being operated with the cycling of the slide or if the hammer is manually thumbed. 

Any ideas on this? 

Much appreciated 

What exactly happens? Does the hammer just slam forward firing the gun without you pulling the trigger? Or does it fall forward into the half cocked postion?

It may be that the sear spring otherwise known as the '3 finger spring' needs some slight adjustment. The three arms are incredibly sensitive... when I first took my MEU apart and put it back together it started burst firing; without realising it I had ever so slightly bent one of the arms out. I think I have read that after a lot of use the sear spring can sometimes need some re-alignment or tuning. 

4 hours ago, Macv276 said:

Yup, just falls forward into the fired position, don't have to pull the trigger at all sometimes 🙄

I'll take a look at the sear spring tonight, hopefully it's a quick fix! Cheers 

Check the below video out from time stamp 5:48 he explains a little bit about the three finger spring.

Note he mentions that the middle finger resting too forcibly on the sear can stop the hammer from falling and that just a tiny amount of pressure is required - I'm wondering if your issue is in the other direction..  ever so slightly not enough pressure, thereby letting the hammer fly from time to time - so perhaps bending the middle finger forward gently could resolve the issue. Now this is quite delicate work (certainly more so than most gearbox work),  bending sheet metal back and forth can lead to metal fatigue and snapping so just be really gentle and conscious of what your doing here - if you don't like the look of it, send it in to a tech. 

Archived