Umarex X95 Project - LPEG plastic gearbox mini Tavor.

Asomodai

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So the X95 LPEG has come through.

Bit of backstory, my tech and I were shooting the breeze about whether this could be worked on. Lots of people have asked online but very few have done much apart from changing the barrel. Some people have claimed to HPA'd them, but I am not massively interested in that direction. Put in the back of my mind as it probably wasn't worth the 100 euros. Come to present day and I picked one up for just 42 euros from Germany. I couldn't pass it up. The intention is to use this as a sniper secondary or use in ultra close CQB (I dont want to hurt anyone too badly).  

20200317_145916.thumb.jpg.6fe8ead18fac94205150b58a822ca0a6.jpg

IMG-20200317-WA0012.thumb.jpeg.8574a99718d135097a0fcdd20d456aac.jpeg

First impressions:

It's the same quality plastic as my full size Umarex Tavor. IE cheap but roughed up to make it seem like Nylon reinforced. It's very lightweight at only 1.2kg and takes my PTS EPM mags. 

Definitely polycarbonate gearbox and RC car motor. The mag release is plastic and definitely a bit suspect so will have to treat it gently. Shimming is pretty awful sounding. 

Luckily the hop it actually variable rather then just on and off as is described online. Though it's clear while the hop arm definitely can provide alot of pressure, the bucking itself is very hard so wont hop much.  

Fires at 220 FPS on .2s and overhops them even with no hop set. With hop set on full the FPS drops down to just 140 FPS.

It lifts .25s like a champ, but falls slightly short at hopping .28s. With a bucking change it shouldn't be a problem. Range of this is... actually quite impressive considering. 

The Aim:

Get this firing between 270 to 300 FPS reliably without destroying the gearbox within a few skirmishes. I love using my TM Aug which is fantastic range wise at only 270fps so that is ultimate goal. 

What can be changed with current knowledge:

* Change the barrel for a ZCI 6.02 tightbore barrel, Longer then the existing barrel which is shorter then it could be. The X95 will likely take 340mm. Hopefully this should bump up the FPS by quite a bit without changing the spring.

* Improve air seal with existing components, new O-rings etc. 

* Get a replacement Neo RC Car motor. There plenty about, but need to identify the exact size of the one inside this. RPS is just awful, easy to lock up the gearbox on semi

* Change bucking to something like a Maple Leaf 50 degree Macaron and 0hm nub. May need to do some modification to whatever the hop arm is inside, but its probably doable. 

* Basic Perun non AB Mosfet and all new 16AWG wiring and Deans connector.

* Existing gearbox will be reinforced in impact places with epoxy. 

What we will be looking into to see if its possible:

* We will check to see if we can somehow shoehorn a V6 box inside it, but its highly doubtful, let alone setup a trigger system. 

* Check That the air seal components can be replaced, if the Gears, Bushings, Cylinder, Cylinder Head and Nozzle and piston can be changed we will probably change them to metal ones. But keeping the Piston head plastic and sorbo it right up to reduce impact. 

This probably wont be an overnight project though, so updates will be few and far between! 

Some investigatory work has been completed. 

My tech has said that the gearbox is pretty much all proprietary, Gears, Air seal components etc. The only things we can do in its current guise is to reshim, mosfet, New O-Rings, new barrel and bucking. It would be possible to change the hop unit to something more standard if we re-arrange. Most likely an AK unit as they are quite small and the BB tube will be in the right place. 

We might be able to put in a V6 gearbox or even a Real Sword T97 gearbox with a little rearranging. We just need to get some gearbox dimensions and will look further into it. 

We have made a few more measurements. A 330mm Inner Barrel would be the longest length barrel we could go to. 

With an AK style hop unit inside we will have about 195mm of length for a gearbox without extending the buttpad. 

We surmised that a Real Sword T97 Gearbox, a V6 P90 gearbox and believe or not a V1 TM Famas gearbox would be the best candidates. 

Because of the magwell we had to strike the T97 gearbox from the list because the motor cage will be in the way. 

The V6 is shorter then the V1, but too wide where the motor is to fit in the body, we would either need to turn the motor and thin out the motorcage; or mill out part of the body a bit, which is already looking a bit thin around there. 

The V1 is slightly longer then the V6, but thinner all the way down. We may have a slight impeding with the mags on the gearbox but we'll have to see. Luckily I have a spare V1 Famas Gearbox so that could keep costs down. 

So we may be going down the V1 TM Famas Gearbox route! Though we wont completely take the V6 off the drawing board as they are a much easier gearbox to work with and get parts. 

Interesting project and do admit I did think about rebuilding 1 of these lpegs a couple of months ago.

I have to ask would a broken s&t tavor not be a good donor gun or is this not 1/1 scale? 

Also where did you get it for that price lol 

2 hours ago, johnnyj said:

Interesting project and do admit I did think about rebuilding 1 of these lpegs a couple of months ago.

I have to ask would a broken s&t tavor not be a good donor gun or is this not 1/1 scale? 

Also where did you get it for that price lol 

This is 1:1 scale. But the dimensions of the Real Steel x95 is different to the Tavor. 

The Tavor gearbox is too long to go in this one. 

https://www.kotte-zeller.de/umarex-iwi-x95-advanced-komplettset-aeg-6mm-bb-schwarz

Price has gone back up though to about 60 euros. 

Ahh didnt know that haha, but another gearbox is the pts pdr, you might have to use a feed tube of sorts for the mag/hop but it's more compact for sure 

6 minutes ago, johnnyj said:

Ahh didnt know that haha, but another gearbox is the pts pdr, you might have to use a feed tube of sorts for the mag/hop but it's more compact for sure 

Possibly. But very difficult to get. Thst the feedtube on the pdrc is built into the shell. Would be very difficult to marry up everything. I already have a V1 and V6 gear box at hand to at least test before drilling or purchasing anything. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think a v1 gearbox will be the best bet because its more compact than the v6. I'm working on a project like this as well, i think the biggest challenge will be connecting the trigger and selector switch, have you come up with ideas for thtay part of the project?

• 6 months later...

Hey guys I recently became interested in the X95 for a project im wanting to do. Does anyone have images of the gearbox itself?
For some backstory im wanting the X95 to do up like the S25-R on First Assault. Only differences are the height of the rail on the front forend and the military style handguard.

• 3 years later...
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.