Misheard Phrases.

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Which ones do you come across whether it be online or not, which make you teeter between laughing and crying?

The most common one I see is "I could care less"

Also on another forum someone just used this could be a "Blessing in the skies" 

6 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Mongs saying "pacific" instead of "specific"

Yes! All the damn time!

6 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Duno if this counts but its annoying when people write there when they mean their (possession) or they're (they are)

Sadly I think in the not too distant future, children won't be taught the difference. Same with you're and your.

One of the kids at my Nephews nursery would say "please subscribe" rather than bye. Transpires it's because he watches so many YouTube videos he genuinely thought that's how you ended a conversation. 

2 hours ago, Steveocee said:

Finishing a sentence with "Sooooo.........." Insta-Hate from me for that.

Similar pet hate, when people say "yea" after every sentence when explaining something.

"I went down to the supermarket yea, and this girl came up to me yea. She told me there was an accident yea, asked me to call an ambulance yea."

Sorry, stop right there, turn around and kindly fuck off.

On a different tack, but it appears that something was ‘mis heard’ ......

I help out with friends who trade at shows, and was at Olympia comicon a coupe of weeks ago.

I gave some additional customer service helping a lady choose a couple of gifts, then taking card payment I offered her the opportunity to have a text or email receipt ... and of course let her know that personal data was not kept by us, her phone number was going into the PayPal machine only, and that PayPal May retain it for future payments  but we don’t. If she wants to be kept in touch then to like us on Facebook ....

as I enter her phone number, I show the screen to confirm it’s right and also show that I haven’t ticked ‘save customer details’

.... and as her phone beeps with the incoming text, she walks away with a glint in her eye and says “Oh, you could ‘accidentally call ..... name... later”

..... No I can’t - like us on Facebook like I told you to

14 hours ago, Tommikka said:

.... and as her phone beeps with the incoming text, she walks away with a glint in her eye and says “Oh, you could ‘accidentally call ..... name... later”

..... No I can’t - like us on Facebook like I told you to

She obviously knew you are an airsofter. Being active in the coolest hobby around drives the ladies wild!

On 17/03/2020 at 11:14, Cr0-Magnon said:

The most common one I see is "I could care less"

This seems to be a US thing and no matter how many times people explain it to them, they just don't get it.

Another one is "mind your business" instead of "mind your own business".  It's just really odd when they leave out own.

Also, if you've not watched Trailer Park Boys, you need to.  One of the characters is constantly getting sayings mixed up and comes up with hilarious stuff.

https://trailerpark.fandom.com/wiki/Rickyisms

Not a misheard issue (sorry), but "Know what I mean?" really rattles my cage.

Guy outside my work recently, chatting with his colleague and adding "know I mean?" to the end of  every damn sentence - and sometimes even at the start of them. Really had to bite my lip. Almost turned to him and said: "Yes, I think your mate here and everyone else is very fucking clear about what you mean - it's not that complicated!"

Honestly, getting old is a terrible thing. My patience is waning, lads 😐

4 minutes ago, Uncle Pauly said:

Guy outside my work recently, chatting with his colleague and adding "know I mean?" to the end of  every damn sentence - and sometimes even at the start of them. Really had to bite my lip. Almost turned to him and said: "Yes, I think your mate here and everyone else is very fucking clear about what you mean - it's not that complicated!"

My mechanic also says that after EVERY sentence 😂

I just nod constantly

When I first transferred to London with my job, a young guy I worked with began almost all of his sentences with 'Raah'. I thought he was calling me 'Raul' for ages, got to the point where I couldn't be asked to correct him. Then I discovered it's a thing that kids say now. 'Rah'. Christ I'm getting old. 

• Supporters
On 18/03/2020 at 16:59, EDcase said:

My mechanic also says that after EVERY sentence 😂

I just nod constantly

It's right up there with "get me doh" & "innit".

On the plus side, these fucktards make me sound intelligent 🤓

On 18/03/2020 at 16:54, Uncle Pauly said:

• 4 months later...
On 20/03/2020 at 11:21, Macv276 said:

When I first transferred to London with my job, a young guy I worked with began almost all of his sentences with 'Raah'. I thought he was calling me 'Raul' for ages, got to the point where I couldn't be asked to correct him. Then I discovered it's a thing that kids say now. 'Rah'. Christ I'm getting old. 

Back in the dark ages when we were boys, 'Rah' was our favourite utterance. Said in an adolescent husky voice and accompanied by the stroking of an imaginary catweazle type beard!

Bizarre!!

Regards 

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Back in the dark ages when we were boys, 'Rah' was our favourite utterance. Said in an adolescent husky voice and accompanied by the stroking of an imaginary catweazle type beard!

Bizarre!!

Regards 

Someones been watching too much Platoon lol

IMG_5116.JPG

On 20/03/2020 at 11:21, Macv276 said:

oh the irony “Couldn’t be ARSED”  😂😂😂

One mate of mine, a top lad but just classic for this sort of thing once mentioned to us that he’d just filled up his car and was a little surprised at how expensive it had become, he said to his wife after he paid that he was ‘white as a sheep’ with surprise at the bill 🤔

we all corrected him to say that he would have actually been ‘white as a sheet’ but he wouldn’t have it, eventually proclaiming that he’d prove us ‘pisstaking barstards’ all wrong which he tried to do by asking almost 30 people all at once in a team meeting to which he found out rather publicly that he’d been saying it all wrong for more than 40 years!

he still claims that set him up somehow! 

No no wonder we all called him ‘joey Leytonstone’ on account of his vocal deficiencies and where he was born 🤣

that bloke was a weapon and a half...

4 hours ago, Dogsbody100 said:

One mate of mine, a top lad but just classic for this sort of thing once mentioned to us that he’d just filled up his car and was a little surprised at how expensive it had become, he said to his wife after he paid that he was ‘white as a sheep’ with surprise at the bill 🤔

we all corrected him to say that he would have actually been ‘white as a sheet’ but he wouldn’t have it, eventually proclaiming that he’d prove us ‘pisstaking barstards’ all wrong which he tried to do by asking almost 30 people all at once in a team meeting to which he found out rather publicly that he’d been saying it all wrong for more than 40 years!

he still claims that set him up somehow! 

No no wonder we all called him ‘joey Leytonstone’ on account of his vocal deficiencies and where he was born 🤣

that bloke was a weapon and a half...

I thought it was white as a ghost. But just to be 100% let's say white as a ghost covered in a sheet. 

Oo scared meself then!

👻

Regards 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.