guns you love, despite their flaws.....

Adolf Hamster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

figured this could be a fun idea, but what guns do you love to bits but secretly you know aren't really very good....

i was running the mg42 yesterday, it's first proper outing for several years after undergoing possibly the longest hpa conversion in history. and even though now it's firing pretty reliably, sounds mean as hell, and of course has the presence only a big ass gun can have, it's so damn heavy you can't use it all that effectively and when it comes to laying down plastic it won't do anything an arp with a drum mag couldn't do at a quarter of the weight.

and it got me thinking, i very seldom run the f2000, it's range/accuracy is passable if not fantastic compared to other stuff in my collection, but the trigger is absolutely atrocious and reliable semi auto is the fevered dream of a madman. it's also kind of awkward although granted weight wise it's not bad. it'll also give you a nice blister on your thumb knuckle if you aren't wearing gloves. but, i love it, because who doesn't want a belgian space gun in their lives?

the reality is my ak's and m4 are miles more effective than either of these, hell i can get as many kills with just a makarov than with the '42, but i still love them.

My "Silo Spec" Cybergun Desert Eagle. It's huge, over 2kgs, you need a unique speedloader for the mags and the tiniest of allen keys to adjust hop. However it looks iconic and the way it feels in the hand, shoots and sounds just bring a smile to my face .

Oooh, mememe!

PDR-C. Dual stage trigger is a pain without a manual selector. I cant bring myself to make it semi only so I cant use it in most CQB sites. 

Aug: Keep hitting the manual selector into full auto with my thumb. Need to use it more to get used to it. 

FAMAS: Used to have a problem hitting the selector switch by accident with my body. Recently hasn't been a problem. 

T97's. Awful selector and mag release placement

Ares SOC AR, even worse then the T97's for mag release. That and its damn heavy. 

ICS L85, Selector issues for the longest time that seems to be fixed. But now have hop issues. Always seems to have SOMETHING wrong with it. 

F2000, Semi auto, but not the exact same problem as @Adolf Hamster, the metal "second" trigger was worn away on the small nub protrusion. Had to get my tech to replace it with a new one, however as its an aug inside and its impossible to get a new "second" trigger for one, he had to dremel away at a standard V3 one to get the hole at the back. Works fine now. 

SVU: Magazine is too close to the pistol grip meaning an awkward stance. Not a huge problem for me at all, though I know many ex owners who got rid of theirs because of it. Though my tech has managed to mod his brand new one to move the grip a couple of centimetres forward. 

MK43: My most fun gun. However it was poorly constructed. The outer barrel is misaligned so the hop unit wont adjust without pulling the outer barrel out, which also disconnects the hop wheel, which allows the proprietary plastic hop nub drop out and become lost on a muddy day at AP. Had to beg Airsoft Pro to send me 3 additional ones as this is the second time its happened! 

P90: The only decent mags for it are the MAG 100+rd mid caps. Unfortunately they also cause Midcap syndrome so bad that I have to short fill them to just 90rds. 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Asomodai said:

F2000, Semi auto, but not the exact same problem as @Adolf Hamster, the metal "second" trigger was worn away on the small nub protrusion. Had to replace it with a new one, however as its an aug inside and its impossible to get a new "second" trigger for one, he had to dremel away at a standard V3 one to get the hole at the back. Works fine now. 

you're running the jg one aren't you? my problem is the g&g v6 box and it's rube golberg attempt at a trigger mechanism :P

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you're running the jg one aren't you? my problem is the g&g v6 box and it's rube golberg attempt at a trigger mechanism :P

Technically a Cyma, but the gearbox looks more like a JG then anything! 

All bullpups: Bloody trigger linkage! 

AUG A1 - one of my favorite rifles of all time, however the scope both on the real steel (from what I am told) and the airsoft counterparts is just so poor compared to most available magnified optics. You run it out of loyalty to the gun as opposed to practicality.  The A2 is fine and all, and it goes well with an elcan or trijicon, but the silhouette profile of the A1 is what makes it one of my all time favs.

And as @Asomodai said, the fire controls are awkward too.

KWA Vector of course.

Awesome to wield and fire, but terrible gas efficiency and reliability getting worse as they wear out with less and less parts availability 

i just hate my aug so its not it, that honour would be my ka tommy

metal body is great although the hop unit cracked at some point but temp fix works fine. but creaky plastic stock thats of the wrong length to be comfortable. however at one point i completely face planted it at full pelt and was amused it didnt break in two

Probably my WE P226. It's not well built, the outer barrel rattles like no one's business, the performance isn't great and I've never managed to get through a whole mag in game without it venting and literally freezing the mag inside the mag well. The rail is so slim that I can't find a torch that fits it and the trigger pull is nearly as bad as my MK23. I can't help loving it though, the weight and balance is perfect, the grip is so comfy and fits so perfectly in my hand and I just love Sigs

• Supporters
1 hour ago, PopRocket123 said:

Probably my WE P226. It's not well built, the outer barrel rattles like no one's business, the performance isn't great and I've never managed to get through a whole mag in game without it venting and literally freezing the mag inside the mag well. The rail is so slim that I can't find a torch that fits it and the trigger pull is nearly as bad as my MK23. I can't help loving it though, the weight and balance is perfect, the grip is so comfy and fits so perfectly in my hand and I just love Sigs

funny my WE sig has just a standard rail on it, although i get your sentiments on the gas effeciency (endemic to every WE i've used, even the mighty makarov).

my criticism for it is trying to get spare hop units/arms is a nightmare, literally the only bloody thing wrong with it too :(

25 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

funny my WE sig has just a standard rail on it, although i get your sentiments on the gas effeciency (endemic to every WE i've used, even the mighty makarov).

my criticism for it is trying to get spare hop units/arms is a nightmare, literally the only bloody thing wrong with it too :(

It may be my torch. It's just annoying because the same torch is almost too tight to fit on my KWC 1911

• Supporters

Amen to any gun that has dual semi/full auto trigger, total & complete pita's .

gun I loved but a bitch for so many reasons, my old TOP M60, took loads of mods but thankfully not too much money to get it running ok, just ok lol, but let her go one day after she mindfucked me for the last time.............god I miss her 😭

(That bitch deserves two memes)

IMG_5084.JPG

IMG_5085.JPG

26 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Amen to any gun that has dual semi/full auto trigger, total & complete pita's .

gun I loved but a bitch for so many reasons, my old TOP M60, took loads of mods but thankfully not too much money to get it running ok, just ok lol, but let her go one day after she mindfucked me for the last time.............god I miss her 😭

(That bitch deserves two memes)

Ah man, TOP...  weren't they the first ones to do LMGs? Them and STAR I think... super awesome, super unreliable 😂

Not sure if either company is around anymore?

• Supporters
10 minutes ago, mzjango said:

Ah man, TOP...  weren't they the first ones to do LMGs? Them and STAR I think... super awesome, super unreliable 😂

Not sure if either company is around anymore?

Prob not, the M60 had a mental bellows system, while it worked it was susceptible to splits & air leaks, don't get me started on the crappy gravity fed breech cover mag, it'd stop feeding if you shot up or downhill, can't remember which ?

as for the star, they came much later, I had the  249, loved mine, only ever had to make one repair, it was light as f#ck & more reliable than the only other 249 available at the time, the super heavy CA.

4 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Prob not, the M60 had a mental bellows system, while it worked it was susceptible to splits & air leaks, don't get me started on the crappy gravity fed breech cover mag, it'd stop feeding if you shot up or downhill, can't remember which ?

as for the star, they came much later, I had the  249, loved mine, only ever had to make one repair, it was light as f#ck & more reliable than the only other 249 available at the time, the super heavy CA.

Right yeah the STAR saw was pretty much full polymer right? and the big green box mag was very unreliable, half the fight was getting the box mag to feed reliably.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, mzjango said:

Right yeah the STAR saw was pretty much full polymer right? and the big green box mag was very unreliable, half the fight was getting the box mag to feed reliably.

Never a problem with mine, not even the wee nut-sack mag I bought.......I'd buy another one tomorrow 😍

For me:

1911's: never found an utterly reliable one, or any that don't rattle like castanets when you handle them. Many an evening has been spent cursing at one, fully disassembled on my workbench, because it won't work. But I'll still buy them 🤷‍♂️

Desert Eagles: love them, wayyyy too cumbersome to carry, weigh a ton but so much fun! 

P226: had the WE F226, thought it was great until I started using it and it was totally unreliable! But kept it for ages 😅

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

Never a problem with mine, not even the wee nut-sack mag I bought.......I'd buy another one tomorrow 😍

I confess I never actually owned one, a mate of mine did and I remember he was selling it because he couldn't get it to run very well... I just remember it being super nice and light, probably lighter than my CA M15 (M4-RIS) which at the time I ran with an M203.

He ran an M145 Elcan on it, which probably increased the overall weight of the package by 50% 😂 - that was a hefty optic!

16 hours ago, Macv276 said:

For me:

1911's: never found an utterly reliable one, or any that don't rattle like castanets when you handle them. Many an evening has been spent cursing at one, fully disassembled on my workbench, because it won't work. But I'll still buy them 🤷‍♂️

In a word, Marui. My Series '70 hasn't missed a beat and I absolutely love it. I intend to get more Marui 1911's in the future.

An asg schofield. I like single action revolvers a lot Tbf despite the fact they are in theory hopelessly outgunned. 

The solution is practice, and they're fun to shoot. 

I would love a pair of either HWS 1858s (rare and expensive) or crosman 1875s converted to 6mm (cheaper option but more work) and customised to look like Roland Deschains guns. 

• Supporters

If you can get decent range/accuracy out of it it's fine.

Its why i wouldnt consider my recently obtained WE ct25 to be worthy of this list because 7 shots of good consistent range/accuracy is actually pretty useful.

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

If you can get decent range/accuracy out of it it's fine.

Its why i wouldnt consider my recently obtained WE ct25 to be worthy of this list because 7 shots of good consistent range/accuracy is actually pretty useful.

I want one of those too. 

10 hours ago, Cromulon1994 said:

customised to look like Roland Deschains guns

Please tell me that you're not referring to that travesty of a movie version of the Dark Tower series???

It's been a while since I read the books but I like the idea so I might have to pull them off the shelves again to refresh my memory, a "Roland of Gilead" load out could be pretty awesome.

Archived