Why do techs not like gate titans

Darbanator

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

2 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

OK chaps.... simple question then.... to protect the trigger contacts from arching and causing potential damage which mosfet should one install?  I get the optical sensor ones like the Titan as there is no longer a mechanical trigger contacts involved so the current can't bugger up the contacts.  Ergo, am I right in saying that if the trigger contacts cannot be replaced by the said mosfet then even that mosfet will cause the mechanical trigger to fail at some point?

Oh if there is one that doesn't involve soldering then even better as I'm rubbish at it....

The most basic one will do the job in preventing early damage to the contacts, although you'll have to do some soldering.

Basically it uses the trigger blades as a simple signal input, most of the current goes directly from the battery to the motor (passing through the fet of course).

Or you could swap the standard mechanical blades with a microswitch and wire it to your electronics of choice.

Take all this with a grain of salt as I'm pretty bad at electric/electronic stuff.

If you don't want to solder then you're stuck with complete sets like Titans/Asters, Leviathans and Perun Opticals.

17 minutes ago, Skara said:

Actually, if you have the ETU trigger still inside the gearbox, Perun makes an upgrade kit for roughly €50, it replaces the mosfet so you don't have to open the box and gives functions like binary trigger (which I absolutely love), tuneable precocking, AB, tuneable burst fire (1-5 burst) on both semi/auto switches, plus a number of QOL settings like battery savers and such..

I still have one - currently not installed, it only works on semi - the auto/burst is broken and unresetable.

My plan was to put it in my SPR when i DMR it eventually as auto/burst wont be a factor.

Will check out the Perun though, it would certainly be cheaper to set that up than pay 100 quid for something else - though if i keep it in the SPR I may just use as is.

________

Edit* looks like it brings pre-cock to the ETU so possibly worth while for the SPR DMR build 👍 

26 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

OK chaps.... simple question then.... to protect the trigger contacts from arching and causing potential damage which mosfet should one install?  I get the optical sensor ones like the Titan as there is no longer a mechanical trigger contacts involved so the current can't bugger up the contacts.  Ergo, am I right in saying that if the trigger contacts cannot be replaced by the said mosfet then even that mosfet will cause the mechanical trigger to fail at some point?

Oh if there is one that doesn't involve soldering then even better as I'm rubbish at it....

I have a Gate NanoAAB on my M249. It is not completely solder less but they do supply a lead that runs to your trigger contacts. You could crimp on some spade connectors to attach to the trigger. The rest is just plug and play as the other end of the contact lead plugs straight into the mosfet. You then simply plug one side of the Nano into your rifle deans plug and the other side of the Nano plugs into your battery (As shown in the attached image). Sorted. They don't have any of the burst, multi, drum and bass speed fire ridiculous options but they are only a smidge over £20.

image.thumb.png.e01ce46e64d3f57b4f3e85e1edfd8ee6.png

22 minutes ago, Skara said:

The most basic one will do the job in preventing early damage to the contacts, although you'll have to do some soldering.

Basically it uses the trigger blades as a simple signal input, most of the current goes directly from the battery to the motor (passing through the fet of course).

Or you could swap the standard mechanical blades with a microswitch and wire it to your electronics of choice.

Take all this with a grain of salt as I'm pretty bad at electric/electronic stuff.

If you don't want to solder then you're stuck with complete sets like Titans/Asters, Leviathans and Perun Opticals.

I've just checked out Perun, they don't seem to do a Next Gen variant (yet, although they have a V2 but not sure if they would fit in a NGR?) the Leviathan does look promising though...

9 minutes ago, RobHedley said:

I have a Gate NanoAAB on my M249. It is not completely solder less but they do supply a lead that runs to your trigger contacts. You could crimp on some spade connectors to attach to the trigger. The rest is just plug and play as the other end of the contact lead plugs straight into the mosfet. You then simply plug one side of the Nano into your rifle deans plug and the other side of the Nano plugs into your battery (As shown in the attached image). Sorted. They don't have any of the burst, multi, drum and bass speed fire ridiculous options but they are only a smidge over £20.

image.thumb.png.e01ce46e64d3f57b4f3e85e1edfd8ee6.png

They say a picture speaks a 1000 words and that certainly does... I expect crimping some spade connectors may cause some space/fitment issues within the gearbox but still an interesting idea...?

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

They say a picture speaks a 1000 words and that certainly does... I expect crimping some spade connectors may cause some space/fitment issues within the gearbox but still an interesting idea...?

if you're needing to keep everything minimal to save space you're probably going to need to crack the soldering iron out regardless.

tbh i'd suggest going with a very basic mosfet, i'm not a fan of those gate nano's as the ab can screw up your semi by stopping the motor too quickly.

I think it boils down to the fact of what do you do when something goes wrong. Say you're at a skirmish site, are you going to open up your gearbox? Even if you wait until you get home, what then? A lot of people aren't comfortable teching their own guns. I was speaking to a retailer of mining equipment (diggers and the such) and they told me that when selling to remote locations in Africa the buyer will actually pay more for older models as they have less complicated electronics and subsequently when something does go wrong they're far easier to fix with a traditional wrench etc rather than laptops and software updates. 

I have one RIF with a Titan and have had far more issues with it than the one I've got with a Warfet. Back to my mining point, even when it comes to changing settings I just stick the little card in it (still can't get my mobile to work properly with my Titan).

It seems that in this hobby, from our first day it's drummed in to us that the most important things are range, accuracy, trigger speed and rate of fire. Which may make a difference for people speeding round corners trying to clear multiple opponents but more often than not people with super-duper upgraded guns play in short bursts, talk about how great their gun is and then maybe take a few shots at a building from 50 metres away before calling it a day at lunch.

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

if you're needing to keep everything minimal to save space you're probably going to need to crack the soldering iron out regardless.

tbh i'd suggest going with a very basic mosfet, i'm not a fan of those gate nano's as the ab can screw up your semi by stopping the motor too quickly.

Yeah I guess you're right, I'd better practice how to solder I hazard to guess....  However, my needs are simple, all I want is to point and shoot and not worry about contacts buggering up and nothing fancy is needed like pre-cocking or AB as I'll only be playing woodland and not CQB... However, I do like the idea of being able to lock a rifle to semi only for DMR without having to manually take the gearbox apart... that's sexy! 

Oh apologies if I've dragged the thread off topic... We were supposed to discuss why techs don't like Titans..

16 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

@AlphaBear

Yeah, If you are short on space and want something totally basic and pre soldered to a switch assembly you can try something like the kingarms:

https://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/p35297/King-Arms-Cords-and-Switches-Set-with-Mosfet-for-Ver-2-Gearbox/product_info.html

I have this KA in my MP5K, it's tiny and tucks away in a little bit of space between the gb and lower rec.

Or you could try https://www.jefftron.net/mosfet/mosfet-v2-with-wiring - the mosfet components are inside the switch block area, so you don't actually need to find a place for it to go along the harness.

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I think it boils down to the fact of what do you do when something goes wrong. Say you're at a skirmish site, are you going to open up your gearbox? Even if you wait until you get home, what then?

tbf most gearbox failures aren't the kind of thing you're going to be fixing on site regardless of what's actually in there.

Yeah I guess you're right, I'd better practice how to solder I hazard to guess....  However, my needs are simple, all I want is to point and shoot and not worry about contacts buggering up and nothing fancy is needed like pre-cocking or AB as I'll only be playing woodland and not CQB... However, I do like the idea of being able to lock a rifle to semi only for DMR without having to manually take the gearbox apart... that's sexy! 

Oh apologies if I've dragged the thread off topic... We were supposed to discuss why techs don't like Titans..

1 minute ago, mzjango said:

ooh that's very handy, just what the doctor ordered methinks.

tbh if it's semi locking you could just do it mechanically, unless you're wanting to hot-swap springs and flit between assault/dmr in the same gun.

5 minutes ago, mzjango said:

@AlphaBear

Yeah, If you are short on space and want something totally basic and pre soldered to a switch assembly you can try something like the kingarms:

https://airsoft.tiger111hk.com/p35297/King-Arms-Cords-and-Switches-Set-with-Mosfet-for-Ver-2-Gearbox/product_info.html

I have this KA in my MP5K, it's tiny and tucks away in a little bit of space between the gb and lower rec.

Or you could try https://www.jefftron.net/mosfet/mosfet-v2-with-wiring - the mosfet components are inside the switch block area, so you don't actually need to find a place for it to go along the harness.

I'll take a look at these.... very handy indeed!

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbh if it's semi locking you could just do it mechanically, unless you're wanting to hot-swap springs and flit between assault/dmr in the same gun.

Exactly, The plan is wanting to hot swap the springs  in one gun (TM 417)... 

7 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

@AlphaBear   Ah, sorry I missed that you were after semi lock.

The thing is a basic mosfet by definition wont offer that kind of feature, it offers electrical protection, efficiency, rof etc..  you would need something that is programmable for semi lock which is by definition not just a basic mosfet, but yes as @Adolf Hamster says... you could mechanically do it.. easiest way is apoxy a little metal nub in the correct place under the external selector.

6 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbf most gearbox failures aren't the kind of thing you're going to be fixing on site regardless of what's actually in there.

I've had several issues with my Titan, none related to mechanical failure. Just last night I updated my firmware and now the gun won't fire at all.

1 minute ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I've had several issues with my Titan, none related to mechanical failure. Just last night I updated my firmware and now the gun won't fire at all.

Is there a firmware role back feature? 

Just now, Cr0-Magnon said:

There was a post a day or two ago on here saying not to update the Titan firmware as it would stop the gun from firing....

2 minutes ago, mzjango said:

I don't know will check tonigh but my point is, is this something we should be worrying about when it comes to toys we sling around muddy fields? Do I get far better results from the Titan than the Warfet...nope.

There was a post a day or two ago on here saying not to update the Titan firmware as it would stop the gun from firing....

Think it was just a status update but yeah hadn't read that when I jumped on my laptop to adjust the amount of active brake.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

I don't know will check tonigh but my point is, is this something we should be worrying about when it comes to toys we sling around muddy fields? Do I get far better results from the Titan than the Warfet...nope.

Think it was just a status update but yeah hadn't read that when I jumped on my laptop to adjust the amount of active brake.

ahh yes the wonderful world of tweaking things.

it's like the year or so i spent trying to figure out how to get the polarstar jack to shoot in a straight line before giving up and replacing it with a fusion.

still at least that gave me something to drop in the '42.

7 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Yeah it was a status update. Thing is the software I believe asks you to update as soon as you start it so one naturally does it I guess. 

6 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Yeah it was a status update. Thing is the software I believe asks you to update as soon as you start it so one naturally does it I guess. 

Haha, yeah silly me for thinking an update would improve things. Rarely the case (at least initially).

• Supporters
57 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Haha, yeah silly me for thinking an update would improve things. Rarely the case (at least initially).

This is why i never do firmware updates on my keyboard, last time i did it fucked it up completely.

• Supporters
2 hours ago, mzjango said:

There is in the app.

I've had titans in 2 of my rifles, m4 krytac and mp5 for 18 months without any issues so far.

Installation was straight forward, hacking away at the krytac gearbox was a bit time consuming but there are plenty of guides on how to do it.

Until recently I hadn't seen anything negative about them.  

I have a v3 titan still in it's box that I bought for a new LCT ak. Having seen so many negative comments about titans lately I'm unsure if I should install it.

• Supporters

Sometimes things don't go according to plan
As in the wise Murphy's Law which states many things

Some of which can be applied to this thread:

It is nigh on impossible to make anything foolproof,
because fools are so ingenious.

Ergo nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently capable fool.

But if they ever do make something completely foolproof,
life will simply create a better/bigger fool

I’m a technical person and I do work in friends airsoft stuff and my local site.  I installed a gate Titan into my TM scar and have worked on all sorts over the years.

i like them, so not all techs do not like them (they just might not be able enough to get there heads around it?)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late to this conversation, if you don't like soldering but don't have room for connectors you can try solder heat shrink 

• 1 month later...
On 27/03/2020 at 09:55, Keldon said:

I'm a bit late to this conversation, if you don't like soldering but don't have room for connectors you can try solder heat shrink 

Resurrecting a slightly older thread but this soldering all-in-one gizmo thing is pretty impressive... although I've learned to solder now lol..

Back to the mosfet discussion, looks likes Warfets are popping back now so I guess the supply chain is beginning to move again which is great news... 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.