Buying stuff from Japan... items sitting in customs

AlphaBear

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I ordered some bit's and pieces from Japan (upgrade parts and wrenches to fit a HK417).... and guess what they have been sat in customs for the last few days! I mean what the dickens are they doing sitting in customs? I had to buy the wrenches from Japan as they were out of stock everywhere else so I figured I'd just add a few more bits and pieces to the order and save a few bob on standard UK dealer prices..... Ha bloody ha! What I didn't account for was the silly payapl fx rate for the YEN or the fact I may get done for the parcelforce handling charge and of course customs tax.... (the letter two I'm still waiting to hear about)....

So the moral of the story is.... well I can't think of one as yet but I'm sure I will do.... Grrrrr

Why wouldn't they be in customs?  Just because it isn't a gun you are buying doesn't mean that you don't need to pay import duty.

Phone Parcelforce, give them your tracking number and ask for the Customs Number.  They may not do this or they may not have it yet but tis worth asking.   Go online, insert the said Customs Number into their online payment site - pay charges.  Done.

also expect all deliry times to expand as this coronovirus is affecting such, definatley will affect customs

Yeah I know Corona is affecting a lot of the global supply chain.. and also I guess imports from the far east may be put into holding areas and sprayed similar to what they do in aeroplanes when going to the Far East and South East Asia....which may explain delays. Normally EMS is very fast shipping....

Just wait till Airsoft sites start cancelling games.... that's inevitable too I expect...

7 minutes ago, AlphaBear said:

Yeah I know Corona is affecting a lot of the global supply chain.. and also I guess imports from the far east may be put into holding areas and sprayed similar to what they do in aeroplanes when going to the Far East and South East Asia....which may explain delays. Normally EMS is very fast shipping....

Just wait till Airsoft sites start cancelling games.... that's inevitable too I expect...

It is indeed, a lot of stuff I ordered is stuck somewhere because of the pandemic.

Also, our government has shut down the whole country (guess where I live :P ) including private sport events or training sessions.

If your government is smart they'll do the exact same.

16 minutes ago, Skara said:

It is indeed, a lot of stuff I ordered is stuck somewhere because of the pandemic.

Also, our government has shut down the whole country (guess where I live :P ) including private sport events or training sessions.

If your government is smart they'll do the exact same.

It's only a matter of time before that happens to be fair... I can't imagine how your country is coping with the lockdown though and how long it will remain.  I expect Italy will be used as a template for other countries to follow suit albeit it's a drastic measure but possibly a necessary one.... 

But going back to customs...... grrrr 

Placed an order from X-Fire myself just last night. Not expecting it to make it here in record time which is fine as I have a good month until I'm next out. Still want it tomorrow but yeah realistic head on the world has bigger issues than my delivery being delayed.

12 hours ago, HELIflipper03 said:

I have a parcel from hong kong still sitting in custom since the end of january.

That's totally pants! Have you called parcelfarce? It's probably sat in the Customs hub in Coventry. There should be a number to call the customs dept. My bits arrived a few days ago after I paid the customs charge and handling fee. 

7 hours ago, AlphaBear said:

That's totally pants! Have you called parcelfarce? It's probably sat in the Customs hub in Coventry. There should be a number to call the customs dept. My bits arrived a few days ago after I paid the customs charge and handling fee. 

Called them about 10 times. Always the same: they'll contact the customs department and wait until they get back to me. Heard nothing.

7 hours ago, Steveocee said:

Mine arrived this morning. Didn't get hit for import tax either which was a bonus. Very fast delivery from X-Fire

0_Et74Nt0Ripap73FpziO250Abj4YzNFEQumBLbUrSMChWZ8oZ_ZsezS9OK6RoEsxY5Zl2ZzT9v4ofZhrHzoft_ifAXQ15DffJKJsYxJWyREWS4E0Nj-NmD-33p9fJjTz4iNk107XXAdAFmyfTohRt2jRIaJ-aZHcicemQjmLEOarT3xrQENX1nf9C-OIjzhDZvVn5G7BNpwHbo28gv0MRTWH9y3JM2sfU1-iXJu85d-RTGXFwDcH1OQKBugI2cTmzw6FNr3W9t7cMYwOhLBnDFglrQ9SPZuHuA3XtEJNoU6LRAM_nq-XQqCOwuqMZymaFN7oY3QFsUHELNYi5bwiUbvdwokxIRvtN_fKpIbsiJ_U2lrt6uuasIQufg8a9z5oGzNLqW7lsKLpf6vHKm7Q9h8bpin5xnUAtmg16p9TcfyWEvqQzfHl0eRyJbFFM6M9J3V8VuWCtWnNcNJy2FOgfVOMhE-ejLvZturbe9qH2QcCnHySni2sp2Egkx0TsEvwAfR7qO99S3r_TOkF4If6L_Hk6eM8hp9WVpn6auqnCBNbma07ZuP6-bcpFE2dYoduoLiEBdHYK4AA5XBPsk5iPUgjczjdLER-XprmASmOrLNiCmFwNh3yD8rK9eg4WkdbRFmf0goGg_Y3iCozzb2UHrb2DRoBd1VyllpjYfBs-0nvr_VqewmrEscCSCj=w834-h625-no

Mine was approx 30,000 JPY so that's why it got flagged up....oh well hey ho....

I've got a package stuck in customs at the moment. I received an email advising me the other day that there would be fees due to the amount quoted on the front of the package as far as value is concerned. Wouldn't mind but one of the items I needed last week and could really do with before this weekend. C'est la vie.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if hijacking this thread but seemed more sensible than starting another- 

Do you have to pay for even parts such as stocks, foregrips and mounts from Japan/ China/Taiwan? If so, is there a way of prepaying this/pricing this up first so it comes through more easily and quickly? (In a world without a pandemic going on anyway...) 

In terms of bringing in RIFs, same question? 

Or do people try risking it and see if comes through without being held at customs?? 

44 minutes ago, Jimbodini42 said:

Sorry if hijacking this thread but seemed more sensible than starting another- 

Do you have to pay for even parts such as stocks, foregrips and mounts from Japan/ China/Taiwan? If so, is there a way of prepaying this/pricing this up first so it comes through more easily and quickly? (In a world without a pandemic going on anyway...) 

In terms of bringing in RIFs, same question? 

Or do people try risking it and see if comes through without being held at customs?? 

Import VAT is due on imported goods over the value of £15

(Or over £32 for gifts - but customs are used to that trick)

Import duty is required on certain types of item, but should not normally apply for airsoft parts.

Some overseas businesses will arrange payment, however with Hong Kong and China there are quite a few who don’t actually pay it, and just provide you with ‘import insurance’ which is often just them chancing it going through and paying you back if you get charged.

As an individual you can’t particularly pre pay to customs yourself.

Assume that you will need to pay import VAT plus the carrier fee for handling at the point of impact - that’s 20% of goods value (including postage) plus around £8 to £20

To avoid it use a UK retailer.  They may import on your behalf via their wholesalers and can quote you a final price 

For RIFs it’s the same thing - import VAT and handling fees, plus being a RIF you need to provide your VCRA defence to justify importing a RIF

People do take the risk of getting through without paying 

Either in ignorance - not realising that there are extra costs, or just hoping it will get through 

1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

Import VAT is due on imported goods over the value of £15

(Or over £32 for gifts - but customs are used to that trick)

Import duty is required on certain types of item, but should not normally apply for airsoft parts.

Some overseas businesses will arrange payment, however with Hong Kong and China there are quite a few who don’t actually pay it, and just provide you with ‘import insurance’ which is often just them chancing it going through and paying you back if you get charged.

As an individual you can’t particularly pre pay to customs yourself.

Assume that you will need to pay import VAT plus the carrier fee for handling at the point of impact - that’s 20% of goods value (including postage) plus around £8 to £20

To avoid it use a UK retailer.  They may import on your behalf via their wholesalers and can quote you a final price 

For RIFs it’s the same thing - import VAT and handling fees, plus being a RIF you need to provide your VCRA defence to justify importing a RIF

People do take the risk of getting through without paying 

Either in ignorance - not realising that there are extra costs, or just hoping it will get through 

Nice one! I am enlightened! 

Thanks 

20 minutes ago, Jimbodini42 said:

Nice one! I am enlightened! 

Thanks 

Or what can happen is, like what happened to me, the courier can deliver the item, after about a month you get a letter from a debt collection agency stating you haven't paid the courier for the fees and they threaten to take you yo court. For £26. It's a fun, fun experience 

A little bit more.  Import duty is generally around 3%, I can't remember the specific HMRC import code have is somewhere but it's a general outdoor sports code.  VAT of course 20%, then handling etc.  If coming from China via EMS then Parcel Force is the partner network.  They have an prehistoric system where the package gets send to the PF depot and only then does a letter get sent out telling you need to pay X amount.  This whole process can add a good 2-3 days.  Yes a f**king letter!!!

However what you can do is keep checking the tracking number.  Once is says arrived at depot phone up the depot directly (Google number), give them your tracking number, they will give you a 16 digit code which you can use to pay the charges online and get the packaged scheduled for next day.

It could be worse. The Japanese guy you bought it off could spell your name totally wrong, and mess the postcode up, and then customs ask for your defence, which they don't accept because the name is different.

That was fun.

Looks like I'm not the only one with a terrible postal service.

My optic has been sitting in customs since the 20th of March, seller declared a value of €1 so they blocked the parcel.

They sent me a letter on the 6th of April, which arrived this Tuesday (yes, 9 days later) which told me to send an email with the PP transaction, my ID and a bunch of other stuff.

Being prepared, I already had all the documents at hand, I sent the email literally 2 minutes after receiving the letter.

Haven't heard from them since.

Looks like we're in it altogether

Ordered X2 parts from Russia / X2 from Hong Kong - Both from trusted sellers I've dealt with before & all have tracking information. No further updates via Royal Mail / eBay other than good have left the country of origin back end of March.

Either they're en route via carrier pigeon or they're held up in Customs

Did try calling Royal Mail but not taking non-essentials calls & I gave up after 45 minutes!

Good luck to us all getting our bits & pieces 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.