Motors

Luke26
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

atm stuff like motors are getting a bit thin on the ground

Places like Bullseye Country might ship some stuff for free

https://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/element-airsoft-high-torque-motor-long-shaft-in0917-5857-p.asp

or 

https://www.bullseyecountrysport.co.uk/ultimate-motor-boost-30k-custom-long-shaft-20760-p.asp

Think if this shortage gets much worse we might have to start winding our own armatures ffs

Unless Pete smuggles in some contraband RA HT motors soon our choices are going to get limited soon

• Supporters

those asg motors are beastly things, but not really something you should be slapping into a gun without thinking through the consequences, because it'll eat a gearbox alive if it isn't properly setup for that kind of speed.

• Supporters
21 minutes ago, Sitting Duck said:

Think if this shortage gets much worse we might have to start winding our own armatures ffs

Silver lining: how much of a thirst will sellers have for shifting stock once the Kung Flu dies down?

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

Silver lining: how much of a thirst will sellers have for shifting stock once the Kung Flu dies down?

Think they will know the demand will exist if not be in even more demand due to people delaying purchases due to no stock etc...

Could go either way....

Slightly lower price units to shift as much as poss

Or

Slightly higher price units, selling to more desperate customers with a more urgent need

Think prices will be the same if I'm honest

Think it might also be a good thing, looking around to utilise more of what we got already...

Re-using or recycling stuff a little more

Eg: a JG Blue 22tpa , a G&G blue Powerful 18tpa ???, or ICS 19 tpa stock motors

are not that bad for a stock motor if tweaking on a budget with 22~25k motors

Also re-using an armature like above in a burnt out neo can is a viable option more than ever now

but those three motors are all O type pinions so need motor pinion puller if getting into this stuff

Or saying fuck it and running 11.1v through a sluggish 28tpa to get some zest

But re-winding armatures....

nah fuck that, looked into it, thought about it but atm don't see the need to do that stuff just yet

but if stuff gets really bad then people may have to look at various alternatives/options

yet I don't see myself turning into Charlie Sheen just yet...

658751622_hotshotswheel.thumb.png.72f464e790f2fb4b56dfe2bd34ed45cb.png

if partying with coke & hookers is living within your means then obviously I chose the wrong career 

Still, looking to use up half decent motors is an option perhaps in some instances (for now)

Than just dumping moderate motors for throw away £25 new neo motors like we were so used to

Minor blip or bump in the road, couple of months ago it was blame Brexit, now it's Corona

Come Christmas it will be something else I bet

I own an ASG CNC 30K.
I also own an ASG CNC 40K.

The 30K is in a V2 gearbox, with 13:1 gears running a 7.4v lipo. Easy 25rps build.

The 40K is in a V3 gearbox with 18:1 gears running a 7.4v lipo. Easy 24rps build.

I also own a good swathe of other motors. SHS, JG, Cyma, ICS, Rocket, G&G and loads in the junk pile.

No single motor is best. The best motor is the one that fits the current build and does what you want it to do. £50+ on a motor is pretty steep, and the ASG cnc ones don't do anything more than a similar specced motor. The ASG cnc ones are re-branded Star Wei motors, Identical to the Magicbox 30K. 

If I were to buy on a budget I would buy the Rocket Airsoft 16TPA from @ak2m4 I believe he's got a new shipment due soon as he posted them on Facebook today. He sells them for under £30 unless the prices have risen this week. You get a lot of motor for the money Equivalent to the SHS HT and ASG boost. All are Neo magnets with 16TPA internals. The only difference is the ASG B 30K is £40 to the RA 16TPA £30.

The ASG CNC has the advantage of the CNC rear cap and so adds a little more to the build if you are needing some heat resistance in the motor, As the chances of melting the rear cap is reduced, but that only happens if you are using the gun without pause or are heavily reliant on active braking. If you are running a motor hot enough to need this you are also running with no grease in the bearings as it will have melted out, so it's another level of maintenance on the gearbox and not needed for a regular build. You are also risking the magnets as Neo magnets de-magnetise if heated too far, and don't re-magnatise when they cool.

https://www.ak2m4.co.uk/internal-parts/motors-parts

• Supporters

only 24 rps out of a 40k on 18:1?

my distinct memory of that thing is it would eat the battery in 30 minutes but that's fine because it ate the gearbox in 25 minutes.

• Supporters

If Pete has some due in next week then I advise anybody to grab one asap...

The new vented ones look neat

and before the Chinese new year & Corona crap hit I was tempted to take a punt on this...

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000615143427.html?spm=a2g0o.cart.0.0.3f013c007ZjzFD&mp=1

under $20 (plus shipping) looked a bargain - reckon it was trial batch but sold out now with limited production :(

but Pete is top notch mofo - so why go anywhere else for most instances on SHS/RA motors

A while back Systema Turbo & Magnum motors where the bee knees it was said

however 10 years ago anything half decent was ground breaking

But those Systema motors had a flaw of piss poor insulation that was just the alloy coating

The moment the coating started to fail the two poles would fry the windings burning out quickly

Quality Japanese engineering let down by piss poor assembly

Ironic the Ultimate/ASG u-35000 shares very similar design to the Turbo

fully enclosed can but with way better insulation both under the screws and terminal plates

There was a tutorial about improving the Syatema insulation

(m2.5 plastic washers and thin insulation for terminal plates to avoid shorts)

Image result for systema turbo motor

and the u-35000 with improved insulation (but also silver neo magnets)

Image result for u-35000 motor

see the washers under the hex screws & fibre insulation missing from Systema

both have the chunky brushes and thicker silver leads affixed to hex screws than under the brush springs

both fucking expensive motors compared to SHS / RA alternatives

some say they last longer - well maybe not shorty Systema's

Oh and don't try and bother trying to knock out Systema ferrite magnets

they are like Tokyo Marui magnets - well over glued into can that no matter what you try

you just end up shattering the magnets than easily removed lightly glued China motors

(and still the fucking thin bits of ferrite remain ffs - a right mess trying to upgrade)

Yeah fuck all this ultra glued Jap motors at times

gimme a cheapy China motor any day

so hope Pete gets some in for people in need of some zest in their toy guns

and 30k there abouts is just perfect imho - give or take 5k

silly 40k, 45k stuff just runs too warm and seems to drain your battery quicker I have found

13 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

my distinct memory of that thing is it would eat the battery in 30 minutes but that's fine because it ate the gearbox in 25 minutes.

It double shoots on a full battery but that's more to do with the speed of the gears I think. It's been running for a couple of years so I don't think it's going to kill itself anytime soon. As for the battery, it lasts all day on one 7.4v 2200mAh. The gearbox is set on bushings for all gears and I suspect that is the only thing that has kept it from killing itself!

It's rare I use full auto on it, as it's the silent AUG build. So it's used more for single shots without been heard.

The gearbox is set as follows.

40K ASG cnc,
Bushings,
Cut M110 linear spring,
Brass spring guide.
Nylon piston,
Oversized piston O-ring 20mmx2
Element silent head sets.

It's very quiet.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

only 24 rps out of a 40k on 18:1?

7.4v Lipo I expect

might get a bit more/less depending on wiring, no breaks in loom no fuse, soldered direct to motor than 2.8mm connectors etc....

also depends on 20c 25c 30c 35c etc.. battery etc plus make

(the Turnigy nano-tech airsoft batteries are not as efficient as regular Turnigy lipos of same rating)

but High Speed motors just run warmer and drain batteries quicker I've found

hence a 28k give or take a few k: 25~30k or so

13:1's SS a few teeth will yield great all round performance & efficiency if done right

if you shoot less picking your targets carefully than spamming or spraying

if you are not into going nutz then a HS motor on 18:1 is perfectly fine without need for gear change

if you wanna do the thing really well then 30k 13:1 etc...

horses for courses as they say

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Iceni said:

It double shoots on a full battery but that's more to do with the speed of the gears I think. It's been running for a couple of years so I don't think it's going to kill itself anytime soon. As for the battery, it lasts all day on one 7.4v 2200mAh. The gearbox is set on bushings for all gears and I suspect that is the only thing that has kept it from killing itself!

Fair enough, mine was running bearings and an etu with stupid heavy wiring on 11.1 but i did try 7.4 and it wasnt noticably slower.

Tbh these days i just dont bother with the speed, a stock motor on 11.1 with a basic mosfet puts out enough for me in an aeg.

5 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

mine was running bearings and an etu with stupid heavy wiring on 11.1

Hoairy Sheeet!

40K + 11.1 lol, That's an impressive mistake!

Every gun I'm rebuilding since doing the 13:1 30K build on the M4 will be getting that build. It's just so much better with 7.4v lipo's. Trigger response and auto speeds are superb without needing a lot of extra work done. It's literally a 2 tooth SS and you are done.

• Supporters
12 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Fair enough, mine was running bearings and an etu with stupid heavy wiring on 11.1 but i did try 7.4 and it wasnt noticably slower.

Gun was thinking....

Image result for snatch are you taking the piss meme

It is all case of horses etc....

decent battery space, slow motor = 11.1v if on a budget

compact battery space, quicker motor/gears etc... 7.4v

never truly rated 9.9v LiFe's myself as halfway point between 7.4v & 11.1v

some swear by them but never noticed much difference over a good 7.4v 25c in tweaked setups

get to 20rps or say 25rps and leave it as is...

when I've dropped a 30c 11.1v into a 24rps SS 3T setup it hit 40rps and still ripped the rack out on PME

So yeah I'm done with the more silly stuff going for 30~40 wanker stuff

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Iceni said:

40K + 11.1 lol, That's an impressive mistake!

the ROF wouldn't even register on the chrono, and i know it goes up to 50 :blink:

it was primarily a semi-only build, but the reliability was so poor i gave up in the end and went hpa.

8 hours ago, Sitting Duck said:

So yeah I'm done with the more silly stuff going for 30~40 wanker stuff

as am i, i'll confess to pushing the polarstars as fast as they can go and frankly 40+rps has very limited utility except maybe punching through hedges.

these days i keep my aeg's at a nice low rate of fire and even the hpa's don't get pushed (much preferr using semi anyway)

Super tricky getting enough stock as factories are still struggling to get back to capacity, only have 30 long and 20 short of the Rocket Motors coming in so don't delay if you want one.  New design which I'm pretty interested to see inside.  To vent or not to vent that is the question.  Talk to some motor manufacturers and they advise against it due to added risk of getting something stuck in their.  

Bottom picture is a motor that I've got coming in end of March with any luck.  Upgraded magnets, CNC end-cover, no vents, will be available in 14TPA, 16TPA, 22TPA and 28TPA.  Really liking these motors, company is decent, QC is pretty high.

No photo description available.

gp-motor.png

32 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Surely venting is going to be pretty damn useless in an aeg?

It might help keep some heat off the magnets. It's the only thing I can think would be an advantage to it. 

Other than that they look cool.

I'd be more interested in the twist/helical armatures. I've not seen those before.

@ak2m4 are the CNC motors done from just one factory. They look identical to the ASG/Star wei/Magicbox ones. If you can output those for £40ish then I know exactly what my upgrade motors will be in the future!

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Im more thinking most aeg grips dont leave any room for it to vent at all.

True to some degree as I said restricted flow blah X3

In "theory" heat rises so in many cases the heat from motor would tend to disperse upwards into gearbox on M4 AK etc...

In reality it just sits there as little air is drawn in to replenish hot air exiting, though the end bell allows some air to pass blah X3

It is likely 90% gimmick and 10% potential effectiveness

But if pushing stuff then as Tesco might say

Every little helps...

Build right, without crazy shit, and everything will run cooler or at least not as hot

The more amps/watts it draws the warmer stuff gets

Think a number of motors are coming with vents now

As said think it might be 90% gimmick or so but is what market seems to dictate in many fast neo motors

21 minutes ago, Iceni said:

are the CNC motors done from just one factory. They look identical to the ASG/Star wei/Magicbox ones. If you can output those for £40ish then I know exactly what my upgrade motors will be in the future!

Quite a few Chinese manufacturers are offering vented motor cans now.  Not quite like ASG etc, still a number of differences like larger brushes, silver plated wire etc.  Overall it's a step in the right direction at the lower end of motors.  

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Surely venting is going to be pretty damn useless in an aeg?

It's possible, need to remember that the majority of motors (certainly Chinese) are all rated and tested at the factory for 8.4v, in airsoft we use them way past their designed voltage.   Vents could perhaps mean the difference between fry and not fry at some of the extreme usage. 

Archived