Is it legal to shoot in a shared Apartment Backyward?

extortion
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I live in a block of flats and we have one very large Backyard that's secluded from public view, only people staying in these flats can view it through their back windows. I don't own the property Just renting it out. The backyard is always empty as no really uses it and the shooting targets would be set up in the middle so it'll be highly unlikely for anyone to get hit or bbs getting ricochet towards windows. One thing I'm scared of is someone seeing my RIF and calling the police thinking its a real firearm, I'm thinking of two toning one of my rifles just for this.

6 minutes ago, extortion said:

I live in a block of flats and we have one very large Backyard that's secluded from public view, only people staying in these flats can view it through their back windows. I don't own the property Just renting it out. The backyard is always empty as no really uses it and the shooting targets would be set up in the middle so it'll be highly unlikely for anyone to get hit or bbs getting ricochet towards windows. One thing I'm scared of is someone seeing my RIF and calling the police thinking its a real firearm, I'm thinking of two toning one of my rifles just for this.

You can be charged brandishing it in public, which can happen on private, shared or public land. So absolutely do not do this, maybe if you spoke to every tenant to explain what you are doing and ask if its OK to fire in it then that might be alright, but it only takes one person to report and you'll be in the dog house. Even myself with my own backyard, by default I would be committing an offense. 

Not to mention you would be littering everyone's space with your BB's. Its not very neighborly or considerate of you.

You are going to get cops called on you. I don't do it in my own backyard because of the neighbours will call the police two tone or not.  Any sane person who sees someone with a "gun" will call the police. 

Note that @musica has covered that it doesn’t matter if it’s two tone (IF) or a RIF.

The difference there would be “having a RIF in a public place without good reason” wouldn’t apply.

But firing it on land without the owners permission whether its a RIF or a two tone can be a firearms offence. (Firearms legislation - if the authorities classify as an air weapon then youre committing a criminal offence) 

No matter whether its a RIF or IF, any complaint could be treated as anti-social, which is not a crime in itself, but if you continue to do so could become an offence. (ASBOs etc)

• Supporters

Just don't do it, there are no positive outcomes in your situation, save your plinking for gamedays 

In your situation I would advise against it. I have a large garden with high fences and trees on both sides. So at most the neighbour on each side could possibly see me. I've already discussed airsofting and realistic BB guns with one neighbour and I'm on friendly enough terms with the other that I hope they'd ask if they were concerned. In fact as I mainly use my GBBP's for plinking, I'm more worried about upsetting them with the noise if I'm out there for more than a few minutes.

• Supporters
20 hours ago, Asomodai said:

You can be charged [with] brandishing it in public

Eh.  Not specifically, there no such offence (as always, I'm happy to be corrected, with citations of the Act and section).  However, if you mean Public Order Act 1986 Section 5, harassment, alarm and distress ( http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1986/64/section/5 ) then oh yes, that's what you'd be done for.

So: don't.  It's a really, really bad idea, unless you want to end up in the local rag in an article featuring the phrase "yob sentenced".

• Supporters

4 hours ago, Tackle said:

That's very sad.  Being a parent of a teenager with mental issues I feel bad for his parents.

extortion: Yeah, its a bummer to have that space and not be able to use it but just not worth the risk mate. 

I don't have a very big garden so to increase the distance to around 15m I shoot from inside the kitchen out the back door.  This also has the advantage of reducing the noise outside.  Even then I don't shoot much in case someone hears anyway.

Archived