TM M9A1 safety issue?

The Commander
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I got a new TM M9A1 from Fire-Support, but the safety is unusually hard to operate. Most of the time I need to use both hands to force it down, and if the safety is engaged and the slide is cocked, the slide gets stuck and doesn't move forward all the way until it is disengaged.

Every few safety flicks, the safety becomes really smooth and I can easily flip it up and down without it making a weird noise -- but give it a couple more tries and it becomes unmanageable again.

I dissembled the slide and it doesn't look like anything is clearly broken -- anyone had a similar issue with the M9A1, or do I have a defective product?

• Supporters

I have a TM M92FS and TM Albert W Model 01P (essentially a TM M9A1).

With my TM M92FS i had quite the opposite.

The Safety lever was really smooth and when i flicked the left side down the hammer would not decock, when i pressed the right side down it did. My TM Albert W Model 01P has no such issues.

I have added the link to the TM M9A1 instruction manual and will use part numbers so we are both on the same page (no pun lol): https://www.tokyo-marui.co.jp/pdf/p_pdfmanual_191002135400.pdf
Scroll down to page: 19

Can you flick the safety lever back and forth smoothly when the slide is off the pistol?

As you do this look at the underside of the pistol and you will see a small sliver of metal (Part no M9A1 - 19)  moving up and down as you operate the safety lever. When in safe it protrudes a little until it is flush with the flat block on its right, when in shoot, it recesses.

This sliver of metal engages with a notch in the trigger group that stands proud. It is the black (not silver) one to the right of the hammer (Part no: M9A1 - 52) if you were looking at the pistol from the back.

Essentially what happens is that if the hammer is cocked (as in at the rear position) and you engage safety, that sliver of metal (Part no M9A1 - 19) goes from recess to proud and pushes down on that notch (Part no: M9A1 - 52) which disengages the hammer de-cocking the gun. You can try it yourself by taking the slide off, cocking the hammer back and then pressing down on this notch and the hammer should de-cock and flick back forwards.

The likelihood is that the spring (Part no: M9A1 - 51) that operates the notch (Part no: M9A1 - 52) has bent awkwardly or there is something not sitting right with the notch (Part no: M9A1 - 52).

This will require a complete disassembly of the trigger group taking special care to remember how parts go back in, realigning the notch, whilst its all open may as well clean and re-grease and putting the stuff back.

Im no airsoft tech and the first time i took the trigger group of my TM M92FS i put back together quite easily even without the manual and its blow up diagrams.

3 hours ago, The Commander said:

I got a new TM M9A1 from Fire-Support, but the safety is unusually hard to operate. Most of the time I need to use both hands to force it down

Oh and don't force it down, you can and will break the safety levers or the cam which operates it.

Archived