the great airsoft robbery, or how much would you pay?

Adolf Hamster
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

30 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

How many people pirate movies or stream that have commented on this thread. Serious question.

I literally pay money to pirate movies and tv shows because it's more convenient not because I am against paying for them.

I stopped pirating games when it was easy to click buy and it installs in minutes.

37 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Sort by: price (low to high)

It's not just a habit, it's a way of life.

If (for example) Odin wants me to buy their stuff, it needs to be:

1) On the first page of sorted results

2) Make it clear in the title or summary why it's worth my time reading the details.

My other main hobby is PC games and for PC components a key thing for me has always been price per performance  i.e how many more FPS will that more expensive item get me or what feature does this have that makes it worth 40% more than another. Same rings true for airsoft for me

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

How many people pirate movies or stream that have commented on this thread. Serious question.

We weren't allowed to ask question like that in the old days.. the plod Beaker would come along and insta ban you 😢 

But yeah it depends on the sitch, sometimes the UK wont get a release until way later than the US (such was the case with the Mandolorian).

For me though this particular example (downloading tv/films) has some unique considerations - I genuinely believe that Hollywood is run and controlled by the Harvey Weinsteins of this world and that he wasn't the exception. Read into that as you will... it's just something that I think about these days.

An industry that I love and want to support including the small time innovators within, as is the case with airsoft has an entirely different set of personal considerations. Having said that you can be damn sure that I have bought JG, CYMA, Dboys and others many times in the past, at the time they first came out, that may have been a bit of a middle finger to the big boys.

• Supporters

I pay monthly for 3 different streaming services, but just watched a perfect copy of 1917 on Putlocker, sometimes needs must 😏

18 minutes ago, Tackle said:

I pay monthly for 3 different streaming services, but just watched a perfect copy of 1917 on Putlocker, sometimes needs must 😏

Yeah same i got Netflix and Prime so i do feed the dogs... but sometimes stuff just aint available...

• Supporters
1 hour ago, mzjango said:

Yeah same i got Netflix and Prime so i do feed the dogs... but sometimes stuff just aint available...

Watched Anna on prime last night, not bad, couple of brutal fight scenes, like JW but prettier lol

It's hard because I like nice things but I'm also thrifty. I have a WAS RPC, FRV Tailoring belt and altberg boots but all of my pouches and gun accessories are AliExpress specials (I even wait for deals on there, yes I'm that cheap). As for guns the only TM I would ever own would be an MWS. My primary is a G&P base upgraded with mainly ZCI and SHS (technically Rocket) parts but I also splashed out on a gate titan. I've been looking at those unnamed MAXX hop ups as well but I'd prefer to support a smaller company like them. I refuse to buy anything else from nuprol though, I have absolutely no problem undercutting big resellers liken them.

Without clones we wouldn't have the community we have now.

Imagine if all we had was TM/Systema and ONLY Eagle/Crye/LBT to choose from.

Nobody who earns less than 6k per month would be playing.

With this out of the way.

I try to buy genuine whenever I can, this means waiting for long times until said products become available on the European market.

I also pick clone/genuine according to what that piece of kit is going to do.

Does it need to hold all my shit? Genuine, no doubt.

Repro kit might even look the same in some cases because of similar, if not the same materials are used, but the quality of the stitching is where you can really test if your hard earned is well spent or not.

Also in some cases genuine kit isn't that much expensive than repros.

Take the FRV belt: it set me back €80 (yeah, it was 20% off but fuck off, would've been 100 shipped without the discount), and we all know the quality. Then we take the TMC belt, which goes around €75/80, 90/95 incl. shipping.

One is hand crafted and built like an absolute tank, the other comes from a factory where a grumpy underpaid Asian employee made it in series with a couple thousands more.

Which one would you get?

On the other hand, if I only need to carry Haribo and Mars then that €10 cheap ass repro pouch would be completely fine. Yes the colour might be off, maybe some shit stitching here and there with some off spec molle tabs, but it does its job and didn't cost me a kidney.

Unless you're building an impressions kit, in that case fuck off and buy that period correct €120 Crye pouch. Your money :P

It's all about the value we give to something.

If X thing is a fundamental part of our kit, why not dishing out some serious cash for it? at the same time if X is just an accessory that's irrelevant to the loadout's function, it's fine to go cheap and nobody will bat an eye.

Now, it's sad to hear that small businesses like Spiritus Systems are legitimately concerned about giants like Viper deliberately copying their stuff. After all, for those small companies the airsoft market is one of the main sources of income.

What they could do is partner up with other small companies (kinda like what Crye, which is not a small company by any means, did with Z-Shot and their licensed replicas) and release a line of licensed replicas.

So cheap fucks won't complain about prices anymore and they can still look Bravo Team as fuck without giving money to Viper/Nuprol/insert-shit-brand-here.

Fun fact: local retailer started selling them Viper rigs, he honestly thinks Viper invented them xD

11 minutes ago, Skara said:

Without clones we wouldn't have the community we have now.

Imagine if all we had was TM/Systema and ONLY Eagle/Crye/LBT to choose from.

Nobody who earns less than 6k per month would be playing.

Not sure where you got that from in order to own RS equipment but I can tell you I don't earn anywhere near that and I have a fair amount of RS gear and equipment. My personal way of affording things I like.. budgeting, saving and looking out for bargains on sales pages. Let me give you an example on something... I had been through 3 or 4 pairs of TMC combats because either they tore or the stitching wasn't up to par, decided that id do some research and look for something more robust, purchased a pair of UFPRO's and the things are almost indestructible, I use them for other things other than airsoft (as I like to get my monies worth out of my purchases) and they have survived barbed wire and all sorts. The only reason they don't look as good as they could is because they have faded slightly and have a pull on the stretch material.

All the brands you mentioned above I have got massive deals on in the past even on par with the clone counterparts in terms of cost on some occasions. For RS kit eBay is king and you can get some awesome finds if you are prepared to put in the leg work to find what you want. Not sure why people have this insane notion that anyone that turns up to a game decked out in RS must be some millionaire (yes some people are high earners but not all) as A LOT of people I know personally are the same as me and are deal hunters or just get very very lucky!!

20 minutes ago, Skara said:

Now, it's sad to hear that small businesses like Spiritus Systems are legitimately concerned about giants like Viper deliberately copying their stuff. After all, for those small companies the airsoft market is one of the main sources of income.

What they could do is partner up with other small companies (kinda like what Crye, which is not a small company by any means, did with Z-Shot and their licensed replicas) and release a line of licensed replicas.

So cheap fucks won't complain about prices anymore and they can still look Bravo Team as fuck without giving money to Viper/Nuprol/insert-shit-brand-here.

Fun fact: local retailer started selling them Viper rigs, he honestly thinks Viper invented them xD

Agreed, Crye made a good move in doing stuff with Z-shot but the American market is inherently larger than here or anywhere in Europe for that matter and because of the American culture I think that's why it works.

I probably didn't phrase it correctly.

Imagine your first approach to airsoft, you know fuck all about it, you go and rent your kit for the first games for relatively cheap and then you decide to buy your own.

(Remember, there are no clones and your knowledge is zero)

You already take a big chunky hit to your wallet because the cheapest TM M4 (actually a M16A1) is €300.

You then spend another 50/100 in mags and batteries.

You then want some tac gear to hold all your brand new fancy mags and Haribo. You do the sensible thing and go to a store to try things out.

Eagle/Crye/LBT isn't exactly cheap, let's figure another 300/350 maybe for a basic rig and a handful of pouches, plus eyepro and boots.

Voilà, you just spent €600+ which is a lot for a ton of people who are starting out.

In reality you can get away with less than half by doing your homework, but we're talking about a hypothetical situation in which you don't have access to clones and you're too dumb to hunt 2nd hand gear.

I hope you got the idea :)

Just now, Skara said:

I probably didn't phrase it correctly.

Imagine your first approach to airsoft, you know fuck all about it, you go and rent your kit for the first games for relatively cheap and then you decide to buy your own.

(Remember, there are no clones and your knowledge is zero)

You already take a big chunky hit to your wallet because the cheapest TM M4 (actually a M16A1) is €300.

You then spend another 50/100 in mags and batteries.

You then want some tac gear to hold all your brand new fancy mags and Haribo. You do the sensible thing and go to a store to try things out.

Eagle/Crye/LBT isn't exactly cheap, let's figure another 300/350 maybe for a basic rig and a handful of pouches, plus eyepro and boots.

Voilà, you just spent €600+ which is a lot for a ton of people who are starting out.

In reality you can get away with less than half by doing your homework, but we're talking about a hypothetical situation in which you don't have access to clones.

I hope you got the idea :)

ah apologies I misinterpreted what you posted clearly but my notion is still fairly valid.

16 minutes ago, clumpyedge said:

ah apologies I misinterpreted what you posted clearly but my notion is still fairly valid.

Of course it is valid, it's what the sensible people do to save some hard earned.

I recently started doing the same, although I'm not particularly hunting any RS gear at the moment but I will once I take the plunge and buy a genuine mk4 chassis (or mk3, I have no clue what the difference between the two is).

Just now, Musica said:

what about my broken heart? 💔

Duct tape, down your throat.

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Cable ties repair anything.

Nah, thats duct tape 😁

2 hours ago, Musica said:

Cyanoacrylate (aka SuperGlue)

As used in Vietnam... 😉

On topic:

Sad as it is, in this world the innovators will not always profit from their creations and inventions.

I'll buy the cheapest thing that will do a job to my requirements and I enjoy the process of researching the best bang for buck product...

• Supporters
2 hours ago, EDcase said:

Nah, thats duct tape 😁

Cyanoacrylate (aka SuperGlue)

As used in Vietnam... 🤔

On topic:

Sad as it is, in this world the innovators will not always profit from their creations and inventions.

I'll buy the cheapest thing that will do a job to my requirements and I enjoy the process of researching the best bang for buck product...

Case in point, prob the greatest example, Mikhail Kalashnikov, 100million units sold, he didn't get a penny, loadsa recognition but no hard cash !

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Kalashnikov

• Supporters
11 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Case in point, prob the greatest example, Mikhail Kalashnikov, 100million units sold, he didn't get a penny, loadsa recognition but no hard cash !

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mikhail_Kalashnikov

tbf he probably wasn't expecting much working in the soviet union at the time.

• Supporters
28 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbf he probably wasn't expecting much working in the soviet union at the time.

Yeah probably a bashed up lada & a sack of spuds at Christmas as a bonus.

Anyone that moans about their bosses should consider what his were like, ask for a pay rise, get 20 years in a Siberian gulag.

Good times 😜

Or there's the total opposite of Kalashnikov. 

Thomas Edison, who quite possibly invented nothing himself and yet is credited for inventing an awful lot. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Tackle said:

Yeah probably a bashed up lada & a sack of spuds at Christmas as a bonus.

Anyone that moans about their bosses should consider what his were like, ask for a pay rise, get 20 years in a Siberian gulag.

Good times 😜

i suppose at least the trains ran on time, so it wasn't all bad.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Musica said:

download (3).jpeg

Archived