TM G17 fix and revamp?

Skara

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yo bois.

This is the continuation to my status update.

I have found this TM G17 which I'm quite interested in, mostly because I can get it for cheap.

The gun comes from a job lot my friend picked up from a colleague, which included 2 rather cheap M4s (a G&G GR100Y or whatever it's called + another cheap one), said G17, some useless tac gear and a radio.

First issue: the mag leaks, I suspect the previous owner knew fuck all about GBBs and didn't bother keeping it gassed, it should be an easy fix (o-ring replacement).

Worst case I can buy another 2 mags and butcher this one for spares. NO CO2, as it makes the gun too hot and they are a total bitch. I'd like to stay relatively hassle free.

Are WE glock mags worth anything? what other brands shall I go for?

Second Issue: When hand cocking the slide the nozzle doesn't retract immediately, it feels like an old man trying to cross the road during rush hour, it takes his time and eventually retracts. It does seem to retract immediately when the gun is cycling (so with a magazine in, firing bbs). I have zero experience with GBBs, is that a matter of dropping some silicone oil in the nozzle? or does it need replaced? If it does, what would be a good long lasting replacement?

Third issue: the trigger feels funny, from what I remember, once pulled, the glock trigger stays there until the slide is cocked, effectively completing the cycle and resetting everything. With this pistol the trigger goes back to its original position. Is it me being retarded? or is there actually a problem with the trigger?

And of course the million dollar question:

Even if it's for €40, is it worth getting a gun in this condition?

Pictures of the gun will follow tonight, I may even post a video of the nozzle playing Franklin the Turtle

If it’s genuinely a TM, then yes, it’s worth it. Fixing the mags will at worst be new o-rings, but likely just a soak in silicon oil will do?

WE mags generally work better if you’re going to upgrade the gun, both WE and TM are around £15-20 used

Nozzle should stick in the hop momentarily. Don’t worry about the trigger or anything else if the gun fires correctly

Hot water treatment on the mags may work and then gas them up. As you've already pointed out, the worst case would be new O-rings.

The slide movement may just need the gun splitting and lubing the runners.You never know, could be a perfectly good G17 and for 40 euros that's a hell of a bargain.

Gun is a genuine TM, completely stock.

The only picture I have atm.

More will follow tonight, and tomorrow morning I'll post the videos.

IMG_20200224_165558_326.jpg

31 minutes ago, Skara said:

Gun is a genuine TM, completely stock.

The only picture I have atm.

More will follow tonight, and tomorrow morning I'll post the videos.

IMG_20200224_165558_326.jpg

Nice, what’s the brown crap by the ejection port?

13 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

Nice, what’s the brown crap by the ejection port?

No clue.

I'll check it later, hoping it's not shit.

Just now, rocketdogbert said:

Yeah, trigger is not right, otherwise nozzle is fine

:(

What could it be?

Do I have to disassemble it?

I've seen a couple of disassembly videos and the amount of tiny parts is scary.

Fuck.

Me.

Just the trigger unit, right?

I think I can do it tomorrow during lunch break.

So you confirm the nozzle is 100% fine?

I have also done the hot water thing to the mag and it seems to have fixed the leak.

No, you need to look at the end of the trigger bar and the hammer unit. 

You may not even need to replace the sear if it’s only the trigger bar that’s bent

There are 2 bars, the right one is linked to the trigger and is slightly bent to the left.

The left one is slightly bent to the right.

It's almost unnoticeable though.

Safe to assume they should be perfectly straight, right?

Sorry for the dumb questions but GBBs are new to me :(

P_20200224_213830_vHDR_Auto_1.jpg

This is the tip of the trigger bar, you’ll need to disassemble the gun to get it out.

If you manually push down the hammer until it locks into place, then pull the trigger, the hammer should fly up every time.

You need to push down the trigger bar tip to reset the sear before you can lock the hammer down again

513E9553-D882-4B08-BF46-6EBF3CCED17A.jpeg

Haven't disassembled the gun yet, but I have fired some dry rounds, and the trigger appears to work just fine.

It's when the slide stop is engaged that it behaves funny.

Later I'll try to dump a couple of mags and check the gas efficiency.

Tiny update.

Gas efficiency seems ok, it goes through a full mag and still has juice for 10ish more shots.

Plenty enough as one will just top up gas after refilling BBs.

The hop struggles to send 0.25s past 20 metres, works fine with 0.2s.

In theory it's skirmishable (using 0.2s or replacing the rubber with something else like a maple leaf).

Haven't disassembled the gun yet, should be able to do it this week. Hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Parts ordered (ML I-Key and 50° Decepticon rubber. Although I should've gone for a 60 now that I think about it, a hair more durable).

Now, with these out of the way for now, which holster would be a decent one?

3 minutes ago, Skara said:

Now, with these out of the way for now, which holster would be a decent one?

Anything RS make sure you buy for  a g21, as the TM is slightly fatter than a RS G17

• Moderators
8 hours ago, rocketdogbert said:

Anything RS make sure you buy for  a g21, as the TM is slightly fatter than a RS G17

and if only i knew that at the time, i filed my IMI holster so thin you can see through it :lol:

Are you guys using anything in particular?

I'm not really a fan of Serpas (or any index finger release holster)..

1 hour ago, Skara said:

Are you guys using anything in particular?

I'm not really a fan of Serpas (or any index finger release holster)..

I use warrior assault systems universal holster. Its thumb release rather than index finger, it fits most pistols (pretty much anything apart from a deagle) and its lightweight yet durable.

https://www.orpazdefense.com/eng/index.php/style/lowrider/orpaz-gkr-thumb-holster-low-rider-56

How about something like this?

I have never heard of Orpaz, but they seem in line with IMI as far as prices (and the roto system) go.

Shall I give it a go?

I like the idea behind the WAS UPH but I reckon it's gonna sit a little bit too high on the hip for me to comfortably draw.

• 2 weeks later...

Tiny update:

Bought a TMC replica of the Safariland (579? GLS retention) holster with a mid ride paddle.

Cheap enough to not give a fuck about it but also lets me try the mid ride configuration, and if it works for me I'll buy the real deal (apparently it fits the AAP01 too, if it's true then it's a win-win).

Also bought some speed plates to give mags some protection in case I drop them when reloading.

Installed the ML rubber and I-Key but haven't had the chance to try it out yet because of the lockdown.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.