Glass ammunition

Newbie6155
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey, I’m about To get a new Airsoft pistol named s2 it’s a full metal spring powered Chinese Airsoft from red pig company, the pistol is about to come with glass bbs , my question is can I use glass bbs with this gun or would it damage it?

i would also like to get some beginners tips about how to maintain my gun to keep him working as long as I can even though it’s a cheap one.

thanks

First off welcome to the site, check out the forums page for folders 'New players and Arrivals' and 'Tutorials', plenty in there to get your teeth into.

Secondly, I wouldn't want to be firing glass BB's at anything. Think about it, glass, glass under impact, lots of really sharp shards flying about everywhere. I've never even heard of them but just know it's not going to end well. Had a quick look online and they are pretty much banned from every airsoft field out there

5 hours ago, Newbie6155 said:

Hey, I’m about To get a new Airsoft pistol named s2 it’s a full metal spring powered Chinese Airsoft from red pig company, the pistol is about to come with glass bbs , my question is can I use glass bbs with this gun or would it damage it?

i would also like to get some beginners tips about how to maintain my gun to keep him working as long as I can even though it’s a cheap one.

thanks

A Chinese spring pistol isn't really going to be any good at a game. I wouldn't even say you could maintain one as they are not really built to be disassembled. 

Note that glass BBs imported with a BB gun could be deemed illegal on arrival if spotted at customs.  (Edited to add - if with the gun --- glass balls alone are just glass balls)

Potentially (unless the gun is so under powered) an airsoft gun with glass BBs would no longer qualify as an airsoft gun but under firearms legislation would be a ‘low powered air weapon’ and the glass BBs would look a bit dodgy.  We traditionally shoot lead pellets from airguns in the UK

This looks like it would lead to a waste of money, at best you get cheap rubbish, perhaps you get nothing, at worst you get looked at

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Tommikka said:

Note that glass BBs could be deemed illegal on arrival if spotted at customs

The BBs, eh, I can't think of any offence caused by importing 6mm glass beads.

However, it is a great point that the UK definition of an airsoft gun is : "a barrelled weapon of any description which— is designed to discharge only a small plastic missile"

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/57A

If it actually comes with glass BBs then couldn't argue that it's designed only for plastic, and it would indeed become an air pistol.

Anyway, I rather suspect that OP is not in the UK, and possibly doesn't even intend to skirmish.

Red "Pig" Airsoft?  Cant find any such vendor, and I can't think why any reputable airsoft supplier would be punting out glass slinging springers.

OP, help us to help you.  Tell us where you are, what you want to do with the gun, and what your budget is.

Any link to what you are buying? iirc the last bb which everyone was upset about and referred  to as a glass bb was the bioval bbb max. Designed as precision a target bbs. They where banned at most skirmish sites that where aware of them. Not because they where glass but polycarbonate. Even at relatively low power they could break toughened glass and polycarb eyepro.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Good point - edited to note that its the gun plus glass BBs that could be questionable, as opposed to round glass on its own

Unless as Heroshark has noted that the could be BBs to break glass, which again just points to the direction of what the nomination of gun and projectile are considered to be

11 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

However, it is a great point that the UK definition of an airsoft gun is : "a barrelled weapon of any description which— is designed to discharge only a small plastic missile"

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/57A

If it actually comes with glass BBs then couldn't argue that it's designed only for plastic, and it would indeed become an air pistol.

Anyway, I rather suspect that OP is not in the UK, and possibly doesn't even intend to skirmish.

Red "Pig" Airsoft?  Cant find any such vendor, and I can't think why any reputable airsoft supplier would be punting out glass slinging springers.

OP, help us to help you.  Tell us where you are, what you want to do with the gun, and what your budget is.

So first of all , no I’m not from the Uk. I intend Only to shoot targets , it ain’t meant for games , also it is a spring powered so it’ll be a bit difficult..

my worry is that I’ll use the glass bbs and damage my gun unintentionally , even though the one who sold it to me said that he’s always selling the glass bbs and had no complains , but i preferred to ask here to get another answer..

Btw if you have some websites that I can buy quality plastic bbs from there it’ll be great(shipping abroad option needed)

thanks

A9E790A8-C88B-4913-BA8A-31A9E01EE822.thumb.png.92743f295ef8de2481a7c8c777212ab8.png

I would suggest you avoid the glass BB's

1) They'll be heavy so spring pistol will struggle to fire them far.

2) Being harder, they are more likely to damage the hop rubber.

3) You'll have glass in the garden which may cause problems in future. (if a mower hits them then you'll have thousands of nasty shards everywhere)

I highly doubt the bbs supplied with that actually will be glass. Its a relatively inexpensive spring usp usually sold under the HFC brand. Also not full metal although the internal has metal parts and the gun is a reasonable weight for a springer. The hop as standard will lift 0.12g 15-20m and fairly inaccurately I would add. I have one myself, the hop can be modified to lift heavier but it's not straight forward for someone who doesn't know what they are doing. I highly doubt glass bbs would be supplied with such a gun. More likely clear plastic and likely to be very poor quality. From other low grade 0.12g clear plastic bbs I've seen. Usually bad seem lines. And if they are glass certainly wont harm it provided they ar well formed but maybe heavy for it. If you are expecting to bulls eye womp rats I would reconsider your options.

nb: Scratch that its not an hfc, just a very similar shape in the molding. After zooming in it looks to have molded controls including the normal hk mag release and have a conventional button mag release added instead. If its a zink molded china made springer lord knows what it could be like hop wise. They can be quite crappy quality internally and break quickly. Colour me intrigued I like an obscure springer.

Found this very informative video.

Archived