G&G M14 SOC repair advice...

Stevo4345
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I got a cheap as chips G&G M14 that was posted on here a while back. Lots of extras, but the core rifle is a bit of a mess. I knew it was going to be a project gun but I'm thinking it may be too much of a project for me and am toying with sending it of to a tech to get it working.

Quick run down of the issues;

1. Receiver is cracked, there's an arch above the barrel mounting holes, looks like while swapping barrels it wasn't fully aligned and the screws pushed the barrel mounting lugs into the arch and caused it to fail. To fix properly, new receiver.

2. Selector switch is broke, it had been converted to single shot but the threaded hole that the selector cam screws onto is totally stripped. For anyone that knows about these gearboxes it makes it even harder to re-build an already hard as nails job. Need a new selector to fix.

3. Trigger arm, it's held on by two screws, the lower one has stripped threads. It still works after a fashion but still...

4. Gearbox, original motor was replaced with a hi-torque, seems to be working fine. Gears and bearings were upgraded, one of the bearing cages is trashed and the gears seem very very tight, badly shimmed? I could barely shift them with no spring installed. Gears look OK. Tappet was broken, already replaced. Wiring looks a bit cagey, could do with being rewired.

I got it to where it would fire, but only for a few shots and then it locks up.

Problem is G&G don't seem to sell individual parts, they group them together, so basically to fix all my problems I'm looking at a new receiver and gearbox assembly and I'm sure the cost of those will be getting pretty close to what a new one would cost.

Any suggestions? it's a cracking looking rifle, and the sound that bolt action makes when you cycle it, I'd love to get it running but I fear it may be a bit beyond my meagre teching skills. Can I just send it as is to a tech and they get the parts it needs, or do I have to source the parts and send it? Not used a tech before so any help appreciated.

• Supporters

If you know exactly what parts it needs and can source them then yes, any decent tech would be happy to fit them as long as you're prepared to take responsibility if it's still a bag of shit afterwards.

On the other hand a good tech that won't take the piss on parts would be a better bet. Someone like @Armourpiercing at Negative Airsoft for example. Lovely chap, likes wine, hates pineapple. 

Thanks Lozart, looking into several options, have e-mailed Luke, waiting on a reply. Have e-mailed G&G support to check prices for replacement gearbox and receiver, also keeping an eye out for a potential parts donor rifle. Will see how it goes.

Knowing the G&G m14s quite well, I would start again. By the time you get all of the parts and , if you are going that way, tech fees, you could buy a second had or possibility new weapon.

Well it seems Luke is flavor of the month for fixing our toys so his waiting list is running at 3 to 4 weeks, haven't even had a response from customer support at G&G, DefconAirsoft had a sale running on SOC's but are now sold out, and to top it off not one, not two, but 3 damn G&G M14's appear in the AFUK classifieds. 

Missed 2, will get the last one!

Cheers for the advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Right, update on the project. Now I have a working M14 I'm minded to just go to town on the broken one and see how it goes! Bought a replacement trigger unit which turned out to be for the new ETU range. Thinking I may just try and wedge that in somehow, lock it to semi and dmr it.

Need to sort the too tight bushings/gears, also looks like the tappet plate is not fitting properly either.

Gonna try repainting it too, fancy a Vietnam style tiger stripe.

• 3 weeks later...

35E14390-5B71-4629-8700-854BCBCCDF3B.jpeg.ac704466ff50e3e5065caeb10353f7df.jpegUpdate on progress, the tiger stripe paint job came out ok for a first try, then onto the gearbox. Put some new bushings in from @ak2m4, just the job. Re-shimmed the gears, had to modify my new tappet plate as it had a tab on one side that didn't fit, no worries. Got it back together and it works, kind of!

Won't fire in semi, which is a bit of a head scratcher as the fire selector cam isn't fitted (came as a dmr) so it should only shoot in semi.

Thing is I put the stock spring in just to test it but it's a hi-torque motor, might it be running too fast for the selector to action, 16-1 gears installed? Will also need to check the cut off lever and trigger trolley as seeing the wear and tear on the rest of it one or the other, or both, may be past it.

So it still needs fettling but making progress.

Archived