Cyma platinum cm097 vs specna sa-a03 saec vs specna sa-e07 edge

Alalas
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello i am between these three aegs. Can you help me which one should i select? Any opinions which do you think is better?

• Supporters

I'm biased but I would say the Specna SA-A03 (partly because I have one).

Depends on whether or not you want a longer or shorter rifle I guess...

The CM097 lends itself to upgrading into a DMR if that's what you like, it is a lot longer than the other two. Recent posts would suggest that out of the two Specnas the A03 will be the more robust, seems the Edge series isn't all that great. While mine is running a Gate Titan and Maxx CNC hop unit, the gears and compression parts are all original and have given me no grief despite extensive use.

I think the style and barrel length on the SA-A03 make it a nicer all rounder, you could CQB and outdoor that length just fine and I personally like the slightly more classic M4-RIS kinda look it offers.

Sure the style of the sa-a03 is the best out of three but i am going to use a lipo battery 7.4v will it perform well? I mean the rate of fire and trigger response are going to be good enough or "outdated" compared to the other two....

• Supporters

SA-E07 Edge

Because:

6.03mm barrel

Rotary hop

Wired to Deans

Gate X-ASR mosfet which you should be able to plug-and-play replace it with a Gate WARFET if you feel the need for pre-cock or burst fire.

2 x midcaps included

(Awaits: "Bought a TM recoil, what am best upgrades?")

24 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

SA-E07 Edge

Because:

6.03mm barrel

Rotary hop

Wired to Deans

Gate X-ASR mosfet which you should be able to plug-and-play replace it with a Gate WARFET if you feel the need for pre-cock or burst fire.

2 x midcaps included

mmm @Rogerborg makes some good points... spec to spec the 07 does actually look like the winner... but i mean it just don't look as good.. that's the main thing... right !?!?! 😅😋

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Oh I can write a whole essay on those....

Get the one you really really fancy... you don't want to be going out onto the field with a ford fiesta do you? Mind you I'm one to talk as I can't make my mind up with another brand lol

My mate has issues with his new Specna Arms gun...BB's were flying all over the place.  Quality is questionable...so many allen key bolts everywhere on this gun were loose.  Had to loctite them all.

Turns out the hop unit has crap casting and warped and the hop rubber is made of cheese. (Torn, has a hole in it & tearing up inside)

I'm sticking in a new rotary hop unit for him and telling him to go for a G&G toptech gun next, as they are solid performers.  :)

received_527341631222167.jpeg

20200218_111344.jpg

20200222_000145.jpg

That is surprising.

I can't talk about the internals as I haven't had to open it up but I can say my SpecnaArms Edge  'SA-E03' is the best BB popper I've got, and I've got a few. (but no TM's to compare)

Never had a problem with feeding and fires reliably accurate.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Monkman said:

I'm sticking in a new rotary hop unit for him

As per the SA Edge series, which is specifically what I'd suggest.  If you're looking at their basic models, you might as well go G&G.

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

SA-E07 Edge

Because:

6.03mm barrel

Rotary hop

Wired to Deans

2 x midcaps included

out of loop a bit but 200% concur...

Cyma has bespoke mosfet so if that goes tits up you gotta rip box open etc...

(still f*cking use those those odd v2 tappet plates - jeeez)

Looking at two Specna's - yup I'd go with the 7 too

Tried and tested basic Gate mosfet, where it is located if for some strange reason it should fail

you just plug a new one back in or an easy resolder another type in

Rather that repeat what has been said...

A solid gun, with decent bits thoughtfully planned & assembled

meaning it will be a gun that will serve you well with minimum messing about etc...

The quick spring change will enable you to boost the fps should the spring fade

(plus easy of disassembly if it needed a service down the road)

Yes I know all of them offer similar spec...

But out of the three, I feel the SA-E07-EDGE....

ergh has the "edge" if you excuse the pun

seriously, reckon the 07 is the safer bet or the one I would choose too

(not just for looks, but wtf, I like the look too)

• Mostly Retired Moderators

If you like the Mk18 look of the A03, then the EDGE equivalent is the SA-E19.

(You'd think it'd be the E03 but hey-ho).

It's a difficult one to answer, really.

I personally prefer my One series rifle (B12).

I've owned it the longest and it's my best performer. But then again, it's like triggers broom because not a lot of it is stock Specna parts anymore (probably just reciever, outer barrel, grip, buffer tube and gearbox casing).

The Edge series is a huge jump in external quality while still staying in the same price bracket. The coated receivers feel really nice compared to the One series. The grip is at a comfier angle and the S-mags are great.

The gate mosfet is great and tiny and we've been flinging 11.1v in them with no issues.

In the interests of transparency, there was an issue with earlier Edge Gearboxes absolutely shitting gears and other innards, but this has been sorted with the factory now. So you'll probably read people on social media who'll bad mouth Specna without hesitation based on these early Gearboxes. There shouldn't be any lemons for sale anymore.. hopefully. 

Also, don't write off the core series.

They may be polymer bodies, but they are solid and have the metal front ends of their big brothers. Good gearboxes too. Good, well performing basic guns. 

SA-C19 is the Mk18 equivalent in this range.

If you're near Reading/Berkshire and want to have a go on any of them, let me know. I have them all and happy to show you the differences :)

So what i understand from all the above is that no one suggests the cyma platinum. I am going to pick one of the two specna that i mentioned, perhaps the edge series maybe be better....

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Alalas said:

no one suggests the cyma platinum

Not at the price that they're asking for the Platinums.  They seem to have spent the extra money inside the gearbox, which is great, but the BB doesn't care.  As far as I can see, they're still just using a plastic geared hop unit.  The microswitch may be great, it may be fragile, but either way it's proprietary.  The MOSFET appears to be inside the gearbox, and they make no claims about what it's actually doing beyond protecting the microswitch - contrast with the Edge X-ASR which is meh, but you can easily swap it for a WARFET without touching the gearbox.

The CYMA might be a great gun,  but I wouldn't be spending what they're asking on it to find out. 

Something to bear in mind is that if and when you come to sell it on, you'll be selling a CYMA, and no matter how much you say "PLATINUM!", it's a budget brand with a budget reputation.

My mate bought an Edge over xmas and it had to be sent back to the retailer because the FPS dropped to the mid 100s, according to the retailer they have been having that issue with a load of Edge series rifles.

Worth noting that the One series is OEM'd by E&C which are a decent chinese OEM who are pretty consistent with their QC. The Edge series (I believe?) are OEM'd by DYTAC which have less of a well founded reputation for quality.

I have also known someone who bought a Core series (also OEM'd by Dytac I believe) and out of the box that was horrible, the mag that came with it didn't feed and only certain Stanag style mags would feed albeit rattle around like crazy in the magwell, the rails were also very wobbly.

I would also argue that the Edge externals of a lesser quality than the One series, there are several parts that are unpainted and rough (mock bolt, QD sling points) and also the mock bolt does not function on the Edge like it does on the One series. Also the trigger guard wobbles like a motherfucker on the Edge series and it doesn't on the One series. A brand that loves to boast about their great wobble-free external quality have dropped the ball a bit moving over to the Edge series.

Go for a One series, better OEM.

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Yukarin said:

My mate bought an Edge over xmas and it had to be sent back to the retailer because the FPS dropped to the mid 100s, according to the retailer they have been having that issue with a load of Edge series rifles.

Worth noting that the One series is OEM'd by E&C which are a decent chinese OEM who are pretty consistent with their QC. The Edge series (I believe?) are OEM'd by DYTAC which have less of a well founded reputation for quality.

I have also known someone who bought a Core series (also OEM'd by Dytac I believe) and out of the box that was horrible, the mag that came with it didn't feed and only certain Stanag style mags would feed albeit rattle around like crazy in the magwell, the rails were also very wobbly.

I would also argue that the Edge externals of a lesser quality than the One series, there are several parts that are unpainted and rough (mock bolt, QD sling points) and also the mock bolt does not function on the Edge like it does on the One series. Also the trigger guard wobbles like a motherfucker on the Edge series and it doesn't on the One series. A brand that loves to boast about their great wobble-free external quality have dropped the ball a bit moving over to the Edge series.

Go for a One series, better OEM.

The One series USED to be OEM'd by E&C but not anymore. 

While i was searching i found out the arcturus ar15 polymer rifles. What about them? Are these any good compared with the specnas? I've read quite good reviews but it is a new brand.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Alalas said:

While i was searching i found out the arcturus ar15 polymer rifles. What about them? Are these any good compared with the specnas? I've read quite good reviews but it is a new brand.

They're made by the same company as E&L (MOS Manufacture) so in theory they should be good but there seems to be a lot of feedback that they really aren't that great.

The Specna is still a good shout.

Someone in my club has just bought the cyma platinum and hes happy with it, pretty bloody snappy out the box and feels solid enough, weather it is quality only time will tell but they are not a bad price really on taiwanguns, under £200, I was thinking of picking one up myself for outdoor games.

There isn't a great deal out there about them but they seem quite good to me with the upgrades as standard, better than a specna arms edge? that im not sure about :) 

10 hours ago, Alalas said:

Non standard v2 gearbox.

Archived