Ear protection

ghostwalker
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Yep you read that right. Ear pro not eye pro. 

I was wondering what the best helmet mounted ear protection for us poor people is lol. 
In context I have a fma exfil helmet and I was wanting to get some ear protection, preferably with a mic that could be mounted to the helmet. 
I know things like the peltor comtac headsets are the mutts. But alas they are out of my chip shop working budget. 
so what other headsets are out there in the sub £100 price bracket and actually work in a half decent way. 

for clarity I run a baeofeng bf88 radio (told you I was poor lol). 

6 minutes ago, Iceni said:

fast helmet ear pro lol! and just use a regular earpiece for the radio.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Airsoft-Helmet-Protectors-Tactical-Accessories/dp/B07BCTVVRJ

I assume by the use of 'ear pro' in his post, he wants hearing protection which yours gives 0 as its not just BBs, it will be sound etc...

Based on your post, you dont want to spend a lot of money so mic headsets are out as the clones are crap. Get this which will fit under your helmet - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honeywell-Howard-Leight-Foldable-Defender/dp/B001T7QJ9O/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1P0ZVMZBZI606&keywords=howard+leight&qid=1581975982&sprefix=howard+l%2Caps%2C148&sr=8-4

Then use a speaker mic to your Baofeng https://www.amazon.co.uk/EasyTalk-Speaker-Microphone-Portable-Talkies-KMC-17/dp/B0768Y2YSD/ref=sr_1_10?keywords=kenwood+speaker+mic&qid=1581976035&sr=8-10 and a 3.5mm cable from headset to speaker mic. You press the button on speaker mic to transmit and you will hear via the headset.

2 minutes ago, SgtTalbert said:

I assume by the use of 'ear pro' in his post, he wants hearing protection which yours gives 0 as its not just BBs, it will be sound etc...

You know I hadn't actually thought of that!

Mine is definitely cheaper tho :D

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. But yes noise reducing headset ideally 

so the things like the z tac comtacs are no good? Had seen mixed reviews on them and their likes. 

29 minutes ago, ghostwalker said:

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. But yes noise reducing headset ideally 

so the things like the z tac comtacs are no good? Had seen mixed reviews on them and their likes. 

You might get a 'good' set but most likely not. You're best either doing the above with the Howard's or going Earmors, they can be a bit hit and miss but are generally better than Ztacs

Cheers. Had heard good things about the Howard Leight head sets. 

Would rather something reliable and decent over hit and miss. Tried that with throat mics and yet to find a decent set. But moving on from that set up idea. 

• Supporters

the howard leights are good, i have a set of comtacs which i use when running comms but generally i preferr the howard leights, the ambient noise amplification is much clearer and they're damn comfortable.

16 hours ago, ghostwalker said:

Cheers. Had heard good things about the Howard Leight head sets. 

Would rather something reliable and decent over hit and miss. Tried that with throat mics and yet to find a decent set. But moving on from that set up idea. 

I have some z tac sordins and they work ok as ambient ear protection.. after they were repaired ;) i had very little luck with comms.

Its the boom mic and ptt which is the issue. Unlike say the howard leight you've got a really expensive option or the cheap, possibly crap option.People have success with the earmor m32 but i think sgttalberts suggestion is the best set up for the sub-£100 bracket and what i'll be going with myself.

Maybe one day someone will make a clip on boom mic for the howard leight,like the 'Liberator' that used to be used with the comtacs... just thinking outloud. 

i have https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CSP6RXQ/?coliid=IZ3WA9M67PY0T&colid=11ZS9YX4W5Z47&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

attached to my fast helmet with https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DIY-Tactical-Military-Helmet-Headset-Rail-Adapter-for-FAST-ACH-MICH-Sordin/273699861341?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=573237417468&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

and works fine for a super budgety version at around £20 and postage.  has some noise protection, but not so much to make other sounds undetectable.  Dunno if i would trust my ears with those things for any serious loud noise over an extended period of time.  but hey, i wanted to look tacticool

Well I got the recommended Howard leights ordered from amazon today. So hopefully they live up to expectation. Might even help me hear something bfg other than tinnitus screeches lol

@SgtTalbert do you use the set up you mentioned above. Only ask as i am having a nightmare getting the 3.5mm cable to plug into the actual mic handset

nevermind. Figured it out. The mic has a 2.5mm socket not 3.5 so  2.5-3.5mm converter ordered

• Mostly Retired Moderators
23 hours ago, ghostwalker said:

nevermind. Figured it out. The mic has a 2.5mm socket not 3.5 so  2.5-3.5mm converter ordered

I was entertaining the idea of getting some Howard Leights from Amazon (I've got £40 voucher to use up).

What's the impressions of yours?

11 hours ago, L3wisD said:

I was entertaining the idea of getting some Howard Leights from Amazon (I've got £40 voucher to use up).

What's the impressions of yours?

so far and it’s only from testing at home. They seem solid. Easy to manipulate the controls even with gloves on, comfortable, easy to adjust and feel decent quality too. 
They do a good job of protecting and dampening sounds whilst the microphones pick up noise extremely well and transmit through the headphones clearly. 

bonus is they fit under my fma exfil helmet nicely without feeling awkward or uncomfortable 

Archived