What have you made?

AK47frizzle

@Druid799 🤣

It's not quite as bad as that...I've refined the design a fair bit so it doesn't look so - blocky. I've added a few Unity mount style cuts and changed to a single piece design.

image.png.76704ed32b4d897d5cdd57573756d126.png

21 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

@Druid799 🤣

It's not quite as bad as that...I've refined the design a fair bit so it doesn't look so - blocky. I've added a few Unity mount style cuts and changed to a single piece design.

Niiiice. 

I've been after a unity style mount.

Ready made are around £40.

Are you making yours for sale?

Regards

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

@Druid799 🤣

Joking aside that’s a nice design you’ve made their , I do see the logic behind the idea BUT I had it drummed in to me your gun always points where your looking never in different directions hence looking down the sights of your gun and not glancing around , plus try and make your self the smallest target possible so again hunched over your gun smaller target that standing upright ? But then again I was trained practically back in the days of muskets so what feck do I know ! 🤦‍♂️
🤣🤣🤣🤣👍

25 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Niiiice. 

I've been after a unity style mount.

Ready made are around £40.

Are you making yours for sale?

Regards

I'm happy to make you one for a couple quid to cover filament/postage costs once I've finished with the design. Latest revision is on the printer now. 

As I've said to you before I don't like the idea of profiting from anything I make simply because once I'm not an engineer or product designer by trade - I work with spreadsheets for a Bank as my day job. I cannot guarantee a 'product' that I make won't fail even with 'normal' use at some point in the future, and crossing that line into a mini 'business' means I have to assume a degree of responsibility over said product - hope that makes sense?

22 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I'm happy to make you one for a couple quid to cover filament/postage costs once I've finished with the design. Latest revision is on the printer now. 

As I've said to you before I don't like the idea of profiting from anything I make simply because once I'm not an engineer or product designer by trade - I work with spreadsheets for a Bank as my day job. I cannot guarantee a 'product' that I make won't fail even with 'normal' use at some point in the future, and crossing that line into a mini 'business' means I have to assume a degree of responsibility over said product - hope that makes sense?

Yep understood 👍

The charging handle component you did for me is still going strong.🙂

I will pm you. Thanks 👍

7 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Seems like the real-steel-mall-ninja-cool-kids stateside are making 'NV' height optics a 'thing', especially after the former DEVGRU guys at GBRS Group have been extolling the virtues of 'heads up' shooting in CQB to maintain situational awareness.

Thought I give it a go - I dub thee the 'tower-block' riser:

image.png.1ba111da4a0276f413011ad34743f593.png

image.png.f3c341fc914faca8524aa6214c03a80a.png

Yes, it looks ridiculous. But they might be onto something. It feels very natural and works much better with Paintball goggles in the Airsoft context.

This was the initial inspiration for 'going high':

image.png.764bb8dd1bb16cfe977169ecc0fb8bdd.png

Along with:

https://youtu.be/BuYNpTYJb7k

I agree, it feels very normal, I’ve  only used the clone risers from Unity, but as long as you zero correctly it feels great

59 minutes ago, Wavey_Gravey said:

That’s very cool.

Whats the actual height of the dot? Looks taller than the 2.26’ of the unity mount.

It is taller. The height was a very rough guesstimate of the GBRS mount which is huge.

image.png.e0efe3c8fadc7942a56ad92b021433ad.png

Currently the 'rise' of the mount (top of the receiver pic rail to the top of the mount pic rail) is 52mm. Places the centre of the red dot at ~70mm or 2.75in.

Won't be everyone's cup of tea, but the more I shoulder the gun with it, the more I like the concept, even just for Airsoft purposes to get around wearing paintball goggles. Looks better than angled drop stocks that I was playing with, and at least I can argue that there is real steel precedence for a tall mount, even if it looks a bit odd.

So even taller than the overbore systems night height.

Gotta say I’m interested, the GBRS “USS Enterprise” mount is fucking ugly as sin but I understand the concept.

Can you still get a decent cheek/chin weld without a mask on? I’m used to the unity height and having that 3rd point of contact.

Edited by Wavey_Gravey

34 minutes ago, Wavey_Gravey said:

So even taller than the overbore systems night height.

Thank you! I've been trying to remember the name of a mount I saw a few months back and that's the one.

I've quickly knocked up a version with Overbore-style cuts - not perfect (the bottom triangle is slightly too small but I wanted to keep the large fillet for strength) but it gives the general impression.

image.png.c7f13f29d70910ca47e246b7da0c4488.png

As to your cheek weld question - I would say maybe not. That's something that gets lost with mounts this high, but as this dude says, cheek welds are thing of the past (yeah, it's a pretty bold statement that many would disagree with.)

Made a batch of SA80 QR sticker. One for the Sa80 and one for SUSAT. Both with the ARES serial numbers. 

I also used some clear stickers to place over the top like they do for real too to finish the look. 

OK the numbers wouldn't be right, and looking at making more. But they do work on othe platforms too as I have done with my gpmg. Top one mine, bottom is a real gpmg with code. pixlr_20211031173331665.thumb.jpg.b41a2742497556fba5941d56dcb3e1c7.jpgpixlr_20220507145031188.thumb.jpg.d25da4ed5b2b64f2b27f90f032c7d8be.jpg

Here they are on my L22/susat and gpmg.

Just doing some quality-of-life tinkering before next week's game. Found an old ammo tin my dad used for fishing stuff, bit of a clean and spray here and there and it's now my new mag carrier, with space for oodles of mags and bbs.

Also made a couple of BB bags out of some soft goggle cases, cable ties and water bottles, they work great for carrying and dispensing BBs in the field.20220515_121258.thumb.jpg.41554964acd694739c8d50ccb7660d92.jpg20220515_121505.thumb.jpg.61365294413f13646ee972a91d5eeccb.jpg

Next up on the printer - the 'fatboi' under-slung battery extension/compartment for the KWA Ronin PDW stocks.

Should be able to able to put pretty much any type of battery in it I need.

image.png.59020dc706282d2043ef9eada5aebdbd.png

Fatboi aint fat enough - it's a 3mm too shallow for my 2200mAh batteries....D'OH! Also experimenting with 'Fuzzy Skin' finishes in the slicer hence the texture:

image.png.a28957f06d36e912fb8bb8ed102b78d4.png

Dusted off my old Solarforce lights (remember them?) to mount to my gun for CQB. I'm too tight to buy any of the gucci new lights you can get these days just for the odd bit of CQB, the Cree T6 drop-in Surefire clone units I've got may be chunky, but they are super bright. Anyway - I knocked up a tape-switch rail mounted holder:

image.png.e4faff886a4fc700f9a7c4c7c40aed20.png

image.png.19ffb782c8807183d783b50067a77833.png

My print quality is proper shit at the moment - been chasing down inconsistent extrusion issues for a few weeks now...😭

Picking up a 2nd hand 3D printer tonight (£35!) so will be able to stand-down my Ender 3 for a week or two whilst I hunt down these gremlins.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Speedbird_666 said:

been chasing down inconsistent extrusion issues for a few weeks now...😭

Been to the pox clinic ? Good strong dose of antibiotics should clear that up !😳