What have you made?

AK47frizzle

1 hour ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I've made some 'painting'
It's definitely a step up from the crayons I usually have to eat play with, really rather fun!

image.thumb.png.fa672b89d4f70444d8b8dc42578ca2db.png
I smudged a bit around the mag well (on the other side), and maybe there's a couple of other areas that need a bit of re-toning and some texture from the scrim added in, but as my first attempt it was a good learning experience.

All done with Halfords paint (black/khaki/green/brown) as it was easy to grab them on my travels.
Still want a muted red and a near-white to add some extra highlights.

Thats pretty good. I find the Halford camo paints are nice and matt without being dusty. Quite hard wearing too IMO

8 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

I've made some 'painting'
It's definitely a step up from the crayons I usually have to eat play with, really rather fun!

image.thumb.png.fa672b89d4f70444d8b8dc42578ca2db.png
I smudged a bit around the mag well (on the other side), and maybe there's a couple of other areas that need a bit of re-toning and some texture from the scrim added in, but as my first attempt it was a good learning experience.

All done with Halfords paint (black/khaki/green/brown) as it was easy to grab them on my travels.
Still want a muted red and a near-white to add some extra highlights.

Not a big fan of spray jobs but that looks bloody nice.

I found myself in the local Hobbycraft shop, and they stocked some decent satin/matte spray paints at £7.50 a can, so I bought the off-white and dark red to add those highlights.
And like a muppet I decided to rush into trying them out even though it was dark, cold and breezy outside.
The actual extra spray I added was... ok.  Maybe over-egging it a bit. 

But I didn't take enough care to avoid overspray beyond my scrim, so now there's a dusting of white specks over some of the gun which looks a bit crap up close.

image.png.c7acfeab1cecca717e800c0bfd17f4cc.png

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

4 hours ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

But I didn't take enough care to avoid overspray beyond my scrim, so now there's a dusting of white specks over some of the gun which looks a bit crap up close.

Medical alcohol or non-acetone mail varnish remover, but go very careful with the NVR

Is medical alcohol the same as vodka? "It's purely medicinal"  ;):D

To be honest, looking at it in the cold light of day (and some strong lamps) there's just too much to get rid of.  I'll have to go over most of the rifle again.    
This is all experimentation before I have a go on the F2000 so no harm done.

Edit:  I did use some hand sanitizer gel and tissue paper, that did sod-all, so I tried some some acetone just to see how easy it would be to strip the rifle back to black.  In fact that showed it was going to take some work, it smeared the paint a little but didn't instantly remove it either.
But this morning I took a brillo pad and a bottle of alcohol foaming sanitiser, and between the rough side of the pad, and the more alcholic foam, it did a great job of gently removing paint - the worst of the speckles have been scrubbed off and still leaving the pattern underneath.   I can now leave the gun as-is, it's good enough to live with.

So thanks again @rocketdogbert :)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Updated results

A block that holds the nozzle vertical in the bolt of a KWA Maten.

The one on the left, the original, is actually snapped in half and temporarily held together with superglue 

8116ED54-105D-459B-B651-0BAF5A98AF6E.jpeg

64928FF8-1EC2-4601-BD46-8936EB3ACBA0.jpeg

0160575B-86A9-41D5-8969-3FD9E9FD4A19.jpeg

• Supporters
On 26/01/2022 at 00:35, GothicGhost said:

Finished my covers for the MTW, not great but I am still new using a sewing machine lol.

Don’t knock your self bud , over the years I’ve seen much worse looking kit that people have paid good money for! 👍

1 hour ago, ak2m4 said:

They are lovely dog

Unfortunately, lovely as they look, they are out of spec.

No idea how yet, and by less than 0.5mm, so back to investigation  street lol

Did a paracord wrap on my tsblades Chacal.  It's not perfect, but for my first go, quite pleased with it

20220130_083101.jpg

Not really 'made' anything, but wanted to separate my sector gears and couldn't figure out how after removing the screws and came up with this brilliant idea:

On 22/01/2022 at 13:31, MagpieTactical said:

Why didn't you just leave the velcro that is already on them? 

It's hook on both sides so one side needs completely replacing anyway, and then only half the surface area of the 'correct' side is velcro which isn't that stable so it's neater to just replace the whole thing rather than adding a piece on.

4 hours ago, Reverie said:

It's hook on both sides so one side needs completely replacing anyway, and then only half the surface area of the 'correct' side is velcro which isn't that stable so it's neater to just replace the whole thing rather than adding a piece on.

Interesting.  I use a wing pouch that only has velcro on one side of it. With the dangler pouch velcro covering over that, it's going nowhere 

Edited by MagpieTactical

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Just started messing about with paracord my self , made a couple of bracelets(easy enough to do) so try something a bit harder I had a go at a ‘doggy discourager’ for when lm walking my dogs as there’s been a spike in off lead ‘ard man dogs attacking other dogs where I live .

3237D00D-FF35-454A-854D-FCBBBF1382F2.jpeg

Not 100% sure they are legal in the UK? 

11 minutes ago, MagpieTactical said:

Not 100% sure they are legal in the UK? 

Being a knife aficionado, the law is quite clear.

As long as it isn’t defined as an offensive weapon (eg any fixed blade knife, or any type knife with a blade longer than 3.5” in public without good reason), you’re fine.

That is clearly, and obviously, a toy throw for your dog, which you are walking. If you happen to cosh somebody with it, in self defence, it’s no different to whacking somebody with a bag of oranges.

1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Just started messing about with paracord my self , made a couple of bracelets(easy enough to do) so try something a bit harder I had a go at a ‘doggy discourager’ for when lm walking my dogs as there’s been a spike in off lead ‘ard man dogs attacking other dogs where I live .

3237D00D-FF35-454A-854D-FCBBBF1382F2.jpeg

I really hope that has something heavy wrapped in it, so you can throw it a greater distance for the doggo’s

Anything that doubles as a monkey fist is definitely prohibited under the Offensive Weapons Act 1996

Not trying to be a dick, just a be careful what you carry.

Edited by MagpieTactical

Not so much made as modified, but ACOG wing mount for the docter sight on my L119 A1

Found a metal one but with cut out's , so filled them with plastic card then painted it. Happy eith the results.

P1310001.thumb.JPG.4a9497a60b552839d22202bb5e4f186f.JPG

P1310005.thumb.JPG.0e0c0c0e18b51c63a7e8a973aff61dcb.JPG

P1310007.thumb.JPG.24fe40a47d30946bd42cff3f9bceae86.JPG

P2020002.thumb.JPG.4f6918c3697ec94a7d2eae5cebfd9d16.JPG

2 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Not so much made as modified, but ACOG wing mount for the docter sight on my L119 A1

Found a metal one but with cut out's , so filled them with plastic card then painted it. Happy eith the results.

P1310001.thumb.JPG.4a9497a60b552839d22202bb5e4f186f.JPG

P1310005.thumb.JPG.0e0c0c0e18b51c63a7e8a973aff61dcb.JPG

P1310007.thumb.JPG.24fe40a47d30946bd42cff3f9bceae86.JPG

P2020002.thumb.JPG.4f6918c3697ec94a7d2eae5cebfd9d16.JPG

Nicely done scratch building.  Model maker by any chance? 

3 minutes ago, MagpieTactical said:

Nicely done scratch building.  Model maker by any chance? 

Thanks, yep been building models for more years than i care to think about ! Mainly R/C laterly. Got quite a few R/C tanks and big rigs stashed away.