What have you made?

AK47frizzle

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

as more adapting to the requirements/limitations of the platform.

Indeed Herr Hamster.

My overall (long term) aim is to produce the most minimal viable gun that will work around a V2 gearbox. That will mean a receiver of my own design, but I'm not skilled enough to model such a thing yet...however these smaller projects have helped immeasurably.

It's unlikely that I would ever rock up at a field with such a setup myself though, because that would just look stupid - fat middle aged guy thinking he's a speedsofter? Nah. However my middle son (13) loves playing airsoft, but has no real interest in realistic guns/RIFs (he sees the hobby almost as big-kids extension of Nerf), so he has no problems with rolling with such a gun if it's light and easy to shoot.

Ok, last of the Speedsoft content - moving on to other projects now.

Made a hand guard using 40mm PVC pipe that acts as a sleeve over the stock outer barrel. Barrel nut epoxied to one end, and a cap that is a tight interference fit on the outer barrel epoxied to the other.

Very solid given the soft plastic of the pipe, no flex or wobble. Perfectly usable I reckon, assuming you don't plan to use it as a club and wrap it around a tree.

I call it - the fleshlight....😉

image.png.c15ea4b7450740073f20919df4956e6a.png

image.png.789f1635e80cd9cadb8c5accfd7db69c.png

image.png.d2c5ab44e4e38e93b7bf98645474818d.png

(Note - no guns were harmed in the making of this project, all bits will be reverted back to stock shortly.)

Edited by Speedbird_666

• Supporters
9 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Ok, last of the Speedsoft content - moving on to other projects now.

Made a hand guard using 40mm PVC pipe that acts as a sleeve over the stock outer barrel. Barrel nut epoxied to one end, and a cap that is a tight interference fit on the outer barrel epoxied to the other.

Very solid given the soft plastic of the pipe, no flex or wobble. Perfectly usable I reckon, assuming you don't plan to use it as a club and wrap it around a tree.

I call it - the fleshlight....😉

image.png.c15ea4b7450740073f20919df4956e6a.png

image.png.789f1635e80cd9cadb8c5accfd7db69c.png

image.png.d2c5ab44e4e38e93b7bf98645474818d.png

(Note - no guns were harmed in the making of this project, all bits will be reverted back to stock shortly.)

Can certainly appreciate the technicality of the work that went in to the printed parts but f**k me sideways and call me Florence that has to be the most fugly gun it has EVER been my misfortune to see !🤯 

Think I need to go wash my eyes out with neat shampoo ! 😖

• Supporters

The STAR L86 revitalization project continues. Shell is printed, engine is acquired and installed, both microswitches have been installed, donor parts have been transferred, and all thats left is to wait for Polarstar to hurry up and send over the wiring and boards I need.

20210812_174228.jpg

8 hours ago, Druid799 said:

Can certainly appreciate the technicality of the work that went in to the printed parts but f**k me sideways and call me Florence that has to be the most fugly gun it has EVER been my misfortune to see !🤯 

Think I need to go wash my eyes out with neat shampoo ! 😖

Yeh - I know right?

Whilst I'm pleased with this little project from a technical and learning perspective, I've realised pretty quickly that just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you should... 🤪

Rest assured all stock parts have now been re-fitted.

5 hours ago, SeniorSpaz87 said:

The STAR L86 revitalization project continues. Shell is printed, engine is acquired and installed, both microswitches have been installed, donor parts have been transferred, and all thats left is to wait for Polarstar to hurry up and send over the wiring and boards I need.

That really does look like a very cool project - how did you go about printing the shell? It looks almost like SLS?

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

That really does look like a very cool project - how did you go about printing the shell? It looks almost like SLS?

Good eye - it is indeed SLS. I cant print in it, but I do prototyping myself, and when Im happy with a final product I send it off to be made in better materials - whether that be SLS, metal, etc. Currently I only really use PLA and PETG in my printer.

I can't help myself...

image.png.15bb9d6bbb6ad59df0641ec7af6d517a.png

Ended up with three unique designs for ICS, G&G and Specna Edge guns:

image.png.956468e83e30a67e1b4b922370a017b5.png

Really comfortable with a mask on. I know they look wank, but they are so practical. Much like Crocs or Bum bags.

If you heat those stocks you may be able to bend them straight. Really careless of somebody to bend three! One I could understand. Lol 😉

Regards 

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I can't help myself...

image.png.15bb9d6bbb6ad59df0641ec7af6d517a.png

Ended up with three unique designs for ICS, G&G and Specna Edge guns:

image.png.956468e83e30a67e1b4b922370a017b5.png

Really comfortable with a mask on. I know they look wank, but they are so practical. Much like Crocs or Bum bags.

vomit im gonna puke GIF by Leannimator

Not made as such, but sprayed my old mtb Camelbak to use at airsoft rather then buying a new camo hydro pouch20210816_185124.thumb.jpg.0a2ff63f1ef1b532bdf634e86870228d.jpg

A quick and nasty print to test fitment - 0.30 layer height (accidentally left the upper and lower skin thickness at 0.12 which also doesn't help) and a very low infill leaving a rough finish. Fitment was damned near perfect - just needed the hinge holes opening up a little and a relief hole drilled for the gearbox screw that protrudes a little.

image.png.cbdcb01e48ab0759243a278c44fac475.png

Test print was done in two halves then glued - I'm considering creating a channel for a bent steel rod to be sandwiched between the halves for reinforcement before epoxying them together. The final print would be done at 100% infill with a much smaller layer height (around 0.12mm) to smooth things out. Haven't worked out the rear (sliding) bit yet - probably an aluminium tube and 3D printed bushing and stock pad. I'll probably not bother with a sprung button mechanism, rather glue the metal button in place and have it non-folding.

image.png.26a17ecf5f102fb0c37b65b2bb221d03.png  image.png.9b5debb7882f4950c46c98b4b254a292.png

Real Steel:

image.png.5721295b62cfbf38dce3138d75ffebb3.png

Yes, it's ugly. But I like it. Very popular with French and German Police forces - they also use them on MP5s and I've never seen one on an Airsoft gun.

29 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

A quick and nasty print to test fitment - 0.30 layer height (accidentally left the upper and lower skin thickness at 0.12 which also doesn't help) and a very low infill leaving a rough finish. Fitment was damned near perfect - just needed the hinge holes opening up a little and a relief hole drilled for the gearbox screw that protrudes a little.

image.png.cbdcb01e48ab0759243a278c44fac475.png

Test print was done in two halves then glued - I'm considering creating a channel for a bent steel rod to be sandwiched between the halves for reinforcement before epoxying them together. The final print would be done at 100% infill with a much smaller layer height (around 0.12mm) to smooth things out. Haven't worked out the rear (sliding) bit yet - probably an aluminium tube and 3D printed bushing and stock pad. I'll probably not bother with a sprung button mechanism, rather glue the metal button in place and have it non-folding.

image.png.26a17ecf5f102fb0c37b65b2bb221d03.png  image.png.9b5debb7882f4950c46c98b4b254a292.png

Real Steel:

image.png.5721295b62cfbf38dce3138d75ffebb3.png

Yes, it's ugly. But I like it. Very popular with French and German Police forces - they also use them on MP5s and I've never seen one on an Airsoft gun.

I like it. 👍

It's better than the semi hard on stock lol 😉

• Supporters

More pics of the custom 3D printed STAR HPA gearbox being assembled and installed. Damn these L86s have a bunch of parts...

20210816_122157.thumb.jpg.00304bebbe670220f279b1e412767fef.jpgIMG-5294.thumb.JPG.17f51fb08cfccadf5cb88fdc589b5a74.JPG

I made a stock for my shotgun using gaffa tape, a cut up bottle of cleaning fluid and the dream it will need to survive the gun bag on my next day out.

The reason? Well playing a game with limits and rules i am not allowed stockless shotguns or rather 'tactical' shotguns, (but then everything is tactical....) so a plan was formed and with a causual glance it looks ok. 

(Will throw a pic up later)

On 20/08/2021 at 08:06, sjhirst said:

My collection of handguards for the mp5. Once I'd done one, I just had to do more!

IMG_20210819_182333082.jpg

Rude not to once you have the know how, they no doubt look great on pew given how fab they look off.

i really wish i had some wip photos for you all as well.

Cut the bottle neck of your choosen cleaning fluid bottle, hot glue gun in place once fit is 'good' - use addition cleaning bottles as required to achieve fit, add gafa tape  by the roll to ensure there is a prayer it will survive riggers of transport, wrap in half a roll of 'camo' tape and paint with my kids paints, add coats until stays dark if not black.....

also yes i need to fix/cover/remove the remaining blue but gods damn that stuff is tough to shift from the rubber grip.

IMG-20210822-WA0002.jpeg

IMG-20210822-WA0004.jpeg

On 19/08/2021 at 12:29, Speedbird_666 said:

Not speedsoft....honestly!

I've been modelling a real steel B&T Visor/Gas Mask Stock for a G36 using pictures as a reference.

image.png.711aa4a6cc0847695351603d25ae8439.png

Not sure if I'll actually make this one (although it's dimensionally accurate to TM spec guns), but it's been fun to model nonetheless.

RS references:

image.png.139fb9385ea1206c98b7ca4e34743283.pngimage.png.44e307ce2c72ca213f44b46ada22d3b4.png

There is a point often missed that real life weapon design is based on function. Stocks traditionally are as close as possible to being aligned with the barrel straight from front to back due to the physics of firearms and the force of recoil.

They have the steadying function of a solid hold to assist in accuracy and in minimising lift and keeping the barrel on target.  They also contribute to the ergonomics of the weapon.

There is always a compromise between these and other functions.

In gameplay as opposed to real firearms the physics differ, but part of the appeal is to look like real firearms so you get the variations between speedsoft ergonimics and skirmishing looks.

In real firearms technology changes, with various calibers and propellant mixes plus other elements of the firearms design.

Thus you get oddities like dropped stocks appearing in real firearms as the balance of physics and ergonomics changes 

6 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

There is a point often missed that real life weapon design is based on function. Stocks traditionally are as close as possible to being aligned with the barrel straight from front to back due to the physics of firearms and the force of recoil.

They have the steadying function of a solid hold to assist in accuracy and in minimising lift and keeping the barrel on target.  They also contribute to the ergonomics of the weapon.

There is always a compromise between these and other functions.

In gameplay as opposed to real firearms the physics differ, but part of the appeal is to look like real firearms so you get the variations between speedsoft ergonimics and skirmishing looks.

In real firearms technology changes, with various calibers and propellant mixes plus other elements of the firearms design.

Thus you get oddities like dropped stocks appearing in real firearms as the balance of physics and ergonomics changes 

K

11 hours ago, Tommikka said:

There is a point often missed that real life weapon design is based on function. Stocks traditionally are as close as possible to being aligned with the barrel straight from front to back due to the physics of firearms and the force of re.... [Snip]

Um..ok...

Meanwhile - In other news:

Now printing it 'properly' at 100% infill, with a channel for a 5mm steel rod to be glued within it. Each half will take 14 hours to print and the whole thing will be 3D printed (two sides and the butt pad as a separate print) with the stock 'fixed' in position.

image.png.c07bad3289926d783fd947f3159feeb1.png image.png.1753546daa8733d5d84f0e114658d088.png

I'll be hitting it with filler primer and sanding it to smooth out the layer lines, then spray it with matte black paint.

If anyone has any ideas on how to try replicate that 'moulded plastic roughness' surface finish that you get on polymer bodied guns, it would be much appreciated.

11 hours ago, HuttArmouries said:

Had a friend print out the split slide model I modified. Going to be interesting to see how well it actually works. Got one made with the pic rail and one without just incase I feel like changing it over

2127354449_240406522_307100094524934_87925448044738517_n(1).thumb.jpg.9217d504c0a840c6db11e3fe1135337f.jpg

They look very cool. I'll be interested to hear how they perform.

Edited by Speedbird_666

17 Hours later, I have half a stock:

image.png.1e96b33ea5f3d2a8ad82e828f11bb1f5.png

Print came out really nice though. Other half has just started

I'm spending so much time printing stuff now (airsoft isn't my only hobby) that I'm seriously toying with the idea of buying (or even building) another printer. I'm really tempted to go down the Voron route for high-speed printing goodness.