What have you made?

AK47frizzle

• Supporters

It's like an ugly baby, only it's mother could love it 🤮

7 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

I did knock together a bb trap target for my back garden, so i can do some shooting during lockdown to relieve a bit of boredom...

I know it doesnt look like much, it was quickly knocked together from some cheap timber so that if required i can quickly pull it apart and store it in pieces between my shed and fence without faffing around with complex fastenings etc...  plus the simple construction allows me to make quick repairs if needed....

A bit of wire across the opening allows me to hang paper targets, or i can put knock-down targets inside the trap

I am adding more padding inside the target though, as i did get a couple of ricochets during test shots, so until i have the appropriate materials to hand i wont be using it again.

20210122_154852.jpg

20210122_154845.jpg

Its a Charlton rifle, made by the australian and new zealand armies in early ww2 due to issues getting brens from britain, and a huge surplus of lee enfield rifles from ww1...

GunCityCharlton01.jpg

GunCityCharlton02.jpg

12 minutes ago, Tackle said:

It's like an ugly baby, only it's mother could love it 🤮

it is ugly, and its definately not my finest work...   but its functional enough....  but as said above, it is still a work in progress

i intend to spend a LOT of time and care in designing and building the charlton though...  but before i can begin esigning it, i need to figure out what gun im going to use as a base, and then take some detailed measurements of the internals to scale the externals appropriately.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Tackle said:

& The gun in question is ?

i was gonna say charlton

1 hour ago, Spartan09 said:

Its a Charlton rifle, made by the australian and new zealand armies in early ww2 due to issues getting brens from britain, and a huge surplus of lee enfield rifles from ww1...

GunCityCharlton01.jpg

GunCityCharlton02.jpg

but unfortunately it's now too late for me to claim that i called it.....

it's an intesting proposition, you can't just do the normal gbbr trick of not having a locking mechanism as it's external, i wonder if you'd almost need 2 gas supplies- one in the mag to fire and one in the "gas tube" to operate the cycling.

it'd probably be awful to skirmish but goddamn would it command respect and admiration.

7 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

you can't just do the normal gbbr trick of not having a locking mechanism as it's external

if you are referring to the rotating bolt on the real steel gun,  then i was probablt going to make it as a solid piece that only LOOKS as though it functions as a rotating bolt.

i was hoping to get away with running it as an open bolt, similar to the northeast sten. to run GBB AK mags...  or try and either route a gas feed from a CO2 canister in the stock (like a tippmann omega) or an HPA line through the grip and use AEG hi caps.

but until i get my hands on a base gun, i wont know what modification options i will have at my disposal

and im sure it would be a bit of a nasty bastard to run,  but it would definately be something unique and different on the fields =P

• Supporters
32 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

if you are referring to the rotating bolt on the real steel gun,  then i was probablt going to make it as a solid piece that only LOOKS as though it functions as a rotating bolt.

i was hoping to get away with running it as an open bolt, similar to the northeast sten. to run GBB AK mags...  or try and either route a gas feed from a CO2 canister in the stock (like a tippmann omega) or an HPA line through the grip and use AEG hi caps.

but until i get my hands on a base gun, i wont know what modification options i will have at my disposal

and im sure it would be a bit of a nasty bastard to run,  but it would definately be something unique and different on the fields =P

it's a tricky one.

an enfield base would mean having to fabricate an entire blowback mech, but would make the external/visual modifications comparitively easy.

possibly an m14? it's at least setup to have a mock rotating bolt to it.

4 hours ago, Tackle said:

The OP, @AK47frizzle is actually in the trials process with his own design of Airsoft gun, he'd probably be the best person for advice, assuming your design isn't too much like his, then he might rightly tell you to feck off 🤣

Ye i'm mostly catching up with people to get their final reviews of the first test. The model the 2nd test is almost done, just need to refine the selector and allow compatibility with mp5 hi caps:

https://gyazo.com/8b80fc4a99738cec16102413aa3fdb7f

On the side, i'm working on a modern tec 9 to fit on an m4 (was originally an actual tec9 upper for an m4 as a commissioned piece but i'm decking it out more):

https://gyazo.com/565d9a13529844461da1224237ad09ff

Picked up a king arms sig 556 recently. I love how the real rifle looks. 
Sig556.jpeg?fit=633,348&ssl=1

Unfortunately the king arms looked like this
KA_Sig556_HOLO_review_02.jpg

So I have been spending my time today, grinding and filing down an ics sig folding stock block and its getting there finally. Already swapped out that massive handguard for a rail system.
Capture.thumb.PNG.6ba38b052600378ed415e4120614458d.PNG

51 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Good work brother, the pervasive fitting of m4 stocks onto not m4's is a plague that needs stopped at every opportunity.

Tbf sometimes it's an improvement

FB_IMG_1608503972457.jpg

• Supporters
18 minutes ago, HuttArmouries said:

I prefer the original stock. And maybe the scar 20 stock
FN_Scar_20s_Rotators_fde_1-1800x750.png

see now that works, plus you still get the proper folding action. would rather a 20-rounder in it though.

14 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Good work brother, the pervasive fitting of m4 stocks onto not m4's is a plague that needs stopped at every opportunity.

The video I posted offended me with an m4 style stock on an as val

i also like the ugg boot stock and prefer the aesthetic of the cqc 

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Danger_MouseUK said:

I know right!

not sure geoffs branding works in box form though, looks kinda medicinal.

i mean it is medicinal but not for the person using them :P

On 22/01/2021 at 17:34, Adolf Hamster said:

, you can't just do the normal gbbr trick of not having a locking mechanism as it's external

what do you mean by that adolf?

not going to lie, but i dont have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to the finer points of GBB mechanisms

3 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

looks kinda medicinal.

lol,  at first glance when scrolling past, i thought they were medicine boxes....  

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Spartan09 said:

what do you mean by that adolf?

not going to lie, but i dont have a great deal of knowledge when it comes to the finer points of GBB mechanisms

I mean that because a lot of guns have locking mechanisms that aren't very visible in operation, the gbbr version doesn't need to have any mechanism to replicate it.

Hence mentioning the m14 as one of the main exceptions from the top of my head because the fake bolt has to rotate.

Compared to the charlton where the whole point is you can see everything moving in a symphony of steampunk awesomeness

9 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

I mean that because a lot of guns have locking mechanisms that aren't very visible in operation, the gbbr version doesn't need to have any mechanism to replicate it.

Hence mentioning the m14 as one of the main exceptions from the top of my head because the fake bolt has to rotate.

Compared to the charlton where the whole point is you can see everything moving in a symphony of steampunk awesomeness

ah....

im with you now.

TBH im not too fussed if the bolt doesnt rotate, im more focussed on the bolt blowing back and returning..   and not blowing back into my face XD

once i get into the project fully, and i have a base gun, i can try and work out wether i can make the rotating bolt, or just have to stick to a straight gbb

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

ah....

im with you now.

TBH im not too fussed if the bolt doesnt rotate, im more focussed on the bolt blowing back and returning..   and not blowing back into my face XD

once i get into the project fully, and i have a base gun, i can try and work out wether i can make the rotating bolt, or just have to stick to a straight gbb

tbh i'd view it as the most inviting challenge to do it properly and have the mechanism rotating and blowing back.

the issue really is how to get the blowback to push the action rod back, hence thinking perhaps having the mechanism inside the gas tube, not sure on the diameter but maybe you can get a single co2 cartridge in there, or have the thing as a big gas reservoir.

11 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbh i'd view it as the most inviting challenge to do it properly and have the mechanism rotating and blowing back.

the issue really is how to get the blowback to push the action rod back, hence thinking perhaps having the mechanism inside the gas tube, not sure on the diameter but maybe you can get a single co2 cartridge in there, or have the thing as a big gas reservoir.

inviting indeed. 
though looking at more pics of the real steel gun, it looks like there is a simple lug on the bolt that runs in a groove of the charging handle mechanism, so it may be a bit easier to make a rotating bolt..  but again, until i have a base gun to work with, its rather immaterial...

talking of materials,  what materials are GBB bolts usually made of? was wondering if it would be possible to contact an engineer or gunsmith to have a lug welded on, or if its fairly simple to get a custom bolt made with a lug already built in..

EDIT

perhaps it would be better to set up a seperate chat to discuss the charlton, to save clogging up the "what have you built" thread

Edited by Spartan09

• Supporters

Yeah maybe a dedicated project thread might be better.

As for materials as with all airsoft guns "chinese pot metal" is the safest assumption so welding is probably gonna be tricky.

Cant recall the charlton specifically but i thought it used the original bolt handle as a lug? Or am i thinking of one of the other conversions.