WE Sig P226 magazines

RedWolfDoctor
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys

I have a WE P226 with several magazines, I've had it for several years now, the gun itself works fine however the magazines barely get through half the magazine before the gas just doesn't provide enough force, is it down to age? faulty valves? or something else? Any advice would be great! Thanks.

Try swapping out the valves. After a long time they may be releasing too much gas on the first few shots and not having enough inside to cycle the slide. Or it could be the other side of things where the valve just isnt providing enough gas to cycle the slide in the first place. Id say do some general maintenance, replacing valves and oiling the o-rings.

If the gun's struggling with every magazine, I would say the problem is more likely to be in the gun than the magazines. The magazines barely have any parts and the ones that go usually do so very audibly - if the seals are damaged the magazines leak, loudly. You can pull the exhaust valves and check they're undamaged (look for damage to the O-rings) but it would be unusual for all the magazines to go at the same time.

How much gun maintenance - cleaning and lubrication - has the pistol itself had? Is the slide sticking on the rails or hammer? Have springs worn out or snapped? Have you stripped the slide and BBU completely apart, cleaned everything, checked the O-rings in the BBU and the piston head etc.? Is the nozzle cracked, or the rocket valve or its spring damaged or missing? IME 95% of the time a GBBP's not running right you can trace the problem to the BBU.

I would start by stripping the gun's slide completely apart, cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol (even warm soapy water would do the trick as long as you wash the soap off afterwards) and inspecting the components for damage very carefully. Hairline fractures in the nozzle might not be immediately apparent, as might damage to the rocket valve. If everything appears OK (refer to the TM manual), relubricate the seals with silicone oil and the friction points with a gun lubricant that's not silicone oil (I like Froglube). Then try shooting the gun. If that doesn't change anything, let us know.

• 1 month later...

Stumbled across this thread as I was having similar problems myself. 

TM P226 (getting on a bit) barely able to shoot half a mag and failing to lock back when empty. 

Followed the advice above stripped and cleaned it to within an inch of its life. Still not cycling properly. 

What I then noticed was the magazine had a fair bit of movement in it and discovered if I applied pressure to the bottom of the magazine and fired it locked back perfectly every time. 

The problem seems to have been that the gas router (rubber piece behind feed lips at top of mag) was not sitting high enough to make good contact with the blow back unit in the slide this was allowing gas to escape which was also accelerating cool down. 

After a quick search around I stumbled upon mag shims which can be placed under the gas router to help improve the seal. They are available to buy, I have improvised an alternative and fitted to two of my three mags, the difference is night and day. 

Sorry for the long post, I hope you've already resolved your issue and if not here's something else to consider. You can easily test by pushing the mag in while firing, if that improves things a shim may be worth a try. 

I have the WE F229 (P229) - uses the 226/228 mags.

I had the same issue - in cool weather I would only get half a mag out of one full green gas fill.

The gun was only doing 260-270 fps on green gas, so I use Guarder power up which gets it in around the 290-300 mark.

But more importantly with power up gas I get about 2 mags of ammo on one fill 👌 .

@Krazycoco Your TM probably wouldn't last all that long on the power up stuff,  the stock slide would probably break pretty quick for one thing... I think there is quite a lot of info out there on making TM pistols power up proof (though it might require some expensive upgrades such as a metal slide). Hopefully your mag shims are enough to keep you going - I may actually try these out as I have heard of them though never paid them much attention.

but @RedWolfDoctor the power up gas would probably be aright for your stock WE.

You, may end up having to replace some parts sooner than you otherwise would due to the toll the increased pressure will have on some components.

FYI, if you do go the power up gas route you may need to replace the silicone oil on your mag seals with silicone gel, it's far thicker and allows the seals to maintain integrity under high pressure.

Been using it in all my mags now for about 5 years and haven't had a leak since, whatever gas i'm running. 

Well this just got expensive. Started off life as an M4 carbine already had the mws handguard fitted and a friend has done the 'biro mod' as well as a few other bits before I take delivery and really make it my own 

received_204397850975937.jpeg

4 hours ago, Mitchwalk3r said:

Well this just got expensive. Started off life as an M4 carbine already had the mws handguard fitted and a friend has done the 'biro mod' as well as a few other bits before I take delivery and really make it my own 

received_204397850975937.jpeg

Wrong thread?

Archived