new player with questions

escapizm
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello

I've played airsoft before with friends that I no longer have contact with. I've moved away. But i wonder if there are many people that attend airsoft solo? I'm in North Wales now and would love to try airsoft out properly again as need a new hobby and love military history etc.

Would be interested in going to one of my local airsoft sites as there's a few in North Wales but i'm slightly reclusive and not great with new people - how have other people got on attending events solo? 

Thx!

• Supporters

just do it

it can be hard at first, even harder to go back, but if you get over that hill and get to know a few folk there then it gets easier.

you'll find the regulars should be more than willing to show off their kit, so getting inspiration for what kind of style you want to start off with won't be so hard.

I started out solo. Wasn't a problem, you don't have to make friends necessarily if that is your inclination. 

I did form a partnership with a buddy of mine for a couple of years but he recently quit Airsoft so I am back to mostly being on my own and I am pretty happy to do that. 

Go to site solo, comment "oh nice gun mate" and you'll have a friend for life. We're a big headed lot who love to talk about ourselves.

You'd be amazed at how quickly you can make new friends. Just over a year ago I spoke to some scallywag on here called @Flintlock. A year later, many awesome skirmish days have been had in part due to the company and he's one of my best battle buddies 😍.

55 minutes ago, escapizm said:

Hello

I've played airsoft before with friends that I no longer have contact with. I've moved away. But i wonder if there are many people that attend airsoft solo? I'm in North Wales now and would love to try airsoft out properly again as need a new hobby and love military history etc.

Would be interested in going to one of my local airsoft sites as there's a few in North Wales but i'm slightly reclusive and not great with new people - how have other people got on attending events solo? 

Thx!

Show up and shoot folk. I go with friends often but sometimes I see @Rogerborg more then I see them as you get split up through respawns. Not to say Roger isn't a friend I've friendly fired him enough by now. 

Even if you go with friends, when you're in a game you inevitably get split up anyway.

You might decide to go different directions and even if you go together one will have to respawn before the other.

You just talk to the guys near you finding out where the enemy are etc.

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I prefer solo play, but sometimes you'll get folk following you around and "friendly firing" you all day.

it's become a bit of a meme in our squad that you haven't officially become one of the lads until you've been friendly fired by me.

not my fault, i see movement and i fire......

• Supporters
3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

it's become a bit of a meme in our squad that you haven't officially become one of the lads until you've been friendly fired by me.

not my fault, i see movement and i fire......

Lol, we had one of "your type" on our team, once when playing on an mod training area he opened up without proper "target identification" , turned out it was a woman on a bike in a hi-viz jacket ?, her hubby wasn't pleased, very mouthy until it was pointed out that they were trespassing & 50 camouflaged bodies carrying guns materialised out of the undergrowth. 😜

15 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

I prefer solo play, but sometimes you'll get folk following you around and "friendly firing" you all day.

;)

Nothing more satisfying than randomly shooting yer mates in the arse lol 🤣

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Tackle said:

Lol, we had one of "your type" on our team, once when playing on an mod training area he opened up without proper "target identification" , turned out it was a woman on a bike in a hi-viz jacket ?, her hubby wasn't pleased, very mouthy until it was pointed out that they were trespassing & 50 camouflaged bodies carrying guns materialised out of the undergrowth. 😜

problem i'm too used to getting blasted if i took more than a split second to target identify when i see movement in the corner of my eye.

if i'm actively hunting someone it's not too much of an issue.

Just go, turn up, fall over, get shot at, say the f word a few times and have fun ... that's what it's all about... :)

I'm returning too after many years.... hell none of mates play anymore, they are all married have kids etc.. My first game is at the end of this month and to say I'm a tad excited is an understatement.... 

Hi @escapizm and welcome to the site/hobby.

I'm based in North Wales and have played at several of the sites around here, I regularly just turn up and see who's there - I'm there to wander around like a lost idiot and occasionally shoot people while having as much fun as I possibly can.

Pick a site, book in, turn up and randomly chat to people, it's really easy to start a conversation with an airsofter: "what gun is that?" 😂

You may end up regretting it though!!

Alternatively, if you're anywhere near me then I'd be quite willing to provide an introduction to my regular haunt - The Ex Site.  I usually go there as we're all a bunch of (sensible) idiots, non of whom take ourselves too seriously and are there to have a good time.  Unfortunately I'm not going for a couple of weeks as I've got a few things on at the mo.

I've gone by myself so far (mind you I only went twice so far) but loved it, you make battle buddy's soon enough. one time I just met up with other guys with rentals (and bonded over how we didn;t like the rental guns) and the other time I joined a bunch of friends ("Hi guys, I've got no friends yet, can I join you?" and they said sure and we had a blast)

welcome to the hobby!

i first went with a stag group or some such. loved it and went back on my own as knew noone who played. im happy not talking to people. ill have fun with friends too but airsoft is an escape from thinking and instead i focus on playing. anyway i soon made a feew more likish minded mates and made a team. 4 of us and kept growing. got to 8 then one member decided to take over then got us in a lot of peoples bad books then the site shut down(unlinked ) but i digress go do you there you dont have to talk to anyone. noone cares that much. most of my convo at site was warning allies of enemy. most would rather that... 

I was in a similar position to you a few months ago. All my school friends that I used to go airsofting with had moved to different parts of the country and I wanted to get back into the hobby. I didn't have a car, so I worked up the courage to ask on the group if anyone lived nearby and had room in their car. I was fortunate that someone lived around where I was and was willing to give me a lift. I knew nobody, apart from the two site owners who had been there since I last went over 10 years ago.

Now, I have a solid group of at least 6 people that I really get along with and we always go on the same team as each other when we're down. At the end of the day, we're all there for the same reason and likely we all find airsoft interesting or we wouldn't be there. Give it a shot, going down solo. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I'm in a fairly similar position. Attended my first skirmish as a complete novice just last week. Bit of nerves on the drive out to the site about how I would be percieved by the regulars but within five minutes of checking in all of those concerns were brushed away. Loads of introductions,advice and at no point did I percieve any frustration with me being the new guy. As other commenters have said  you dont have to be best mates with one another,just respectful and remember its all good fun.  Thats something that will be remembered going forward.

Now just gotta explain to the missus what all the parcels getting delivered are as I start building my gear

As others have said it don't matter if you're solo. First couple of games I went with my son, then more times than not solo, it doesn't take much to strike up a conversation. First day had a complete stranger loan my son a Desert Eagle GBB for a game, I've also twice been offered loans of guns after expressing an interest and asking about it, though I just took them to the chrono range rather than risk wrecking them on a skirmish. Stand yourself next to the 'kitted' crowd during the team pick and follow them around, you'll soon get into it.

Archived