Advice on Gas DMR secondary

Cyberlawyer
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

As per the title, I’m currently planning a DMR load out and in preparation I ran a game today with a borrowed DMR rig. My conclusion was that the 30m MED was a real pain and I was using my secondary way more than I normally would for room clearing and in the close bits, and a normal pistol was a bit outgunned.

Please note I’m running as a DMR rather than a sniper, so no stealthy leaf suit, more long range punch to boost an infantry squad. Also I only run gbbs for the realism. 

So what do you DMR experts recommend as a secondary?

Any suggestions welcomed...

When you say outgunned do you mean range or shear volume of fire? If you had an MP9 you can still use it like a pistol in a pinch but you can also run a red dot on it and unfold the stock and be every effective in CQB. If you got the A2 with the railed from end you could also put a torch on it and use one of these holsters 

20146217151456585851.jpg

49 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

If you had an MP9...

+1 for mp9.

You could take the stock off if you want to go even lighter.

I use an mp9 as a side arm for my TM L96; granted I rarely do woodland nowadays so the mp9 does get more use as a cqb primary, but I have used the mp9 as an effective secondary for closer engagement distances.

Another good choice would be an mp7.

Just bear in mind though, it would be a bit easier to run a solid pistol like a G18c with extended mags due to the size and weight....if you dont have a decent holster or tight sling, your side arm can be bashing you as you run, catching on foliage and corners and in general weigh you down.

Edit: you could even go down the route of akimbo pistols for room clearing. I've ran akimbo FN5-7's and akimbo Glocks, however it does take a little while to get used to trusting your weaker/non-smoking arm. 

Double holsters is a must if you do this.

Thanks for the suggestions, small SMGs could be a good call.

when I say out gunned it’s not really a range thing even my worst pistol will reach out to 30m. It’s more about putting down a reasonable volume of accurate fire. Part of it is magazine capacity, But only part of it as I’m normally only running 35 round gas mags on my assault rifle. I think it’s a combination of automatic fire (when patrolling I usually use short three round bursts to get an enemies head down when we first come under contract), and the lack of a stock and optic to control the weapon giving a consistent point of aim.

If I go with a small SMG (MP9 or MP7 sound like a good call) which one is the best to go for? (A bit of google searching has me leaning towards the MP7 as it looks cooler).

• Supporters

A dmr and an smg are two primaries. It is unlikely to carry them without them being very annoying.

I suggest adapting your play style to the role. As a DM you are not an assaulting player, so an SMG shouldn't be needed. Let normal aeg users take the assault role and you take the longer, more precise shots.

• Supporters
16 minutes ago, Samurai said:

A dmr and an smg are two primaries. It is unlikely to carry them without them being very annoying.

I suggest adapting your play style to the role. As a DM you are not an assaulting player, so an SMG shouldn't be needed. Let normal aeg users take the assault role and you take the longer, more precise shots.

I agree, if your spending more time using your secondary in your supposed dmr role, then your either getting " too involved" with the assault force, or your site isn't really suited to a higher FPS dmr ?.

If it's the former, then it's down to you to alter your play style, if it's the latter then maybe you need to keep to the sites full auto AEG rules, allowing you to ignore med's but maybe continue playing single shot only in a "semi" dmr role ?

Thanks for the advice. I’d say I’m reasonably comfortable with the role of a DMR as a force multiplier in an infantry squad, just not in an Airsoft context.

The thing that I struggled with most was the 30m MED which isn’t really a real life issue. The site I play on is pretty big and very mixed. There are large parts that are a marksman’s dream, proper sniper alley stuff with choke points and good cover, but there are other bits (such as the ‘village’ section) where there are very few 30m lanes of fire. Obviously I don’t get to choose where the objectives are.

The TM MP7 can do the work you want but you probably aren't playing to your strengths if you need two primary weapons. 

Probably best to drop down to assault rifle and pistol for a while. I played a a fair few days pistol only at my CQB site and now I would take my pistol over my SMG any day for room clearing. No point having a secondary if you are not proficient with it. I'd say get a glock or hi-capa with a 50 round magazine because holstering anything bigger won't be quick draw.

Here is a brand new option if you don't mind it not being modelled on a real steel firearm

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-smc9-gbb

My regular rig is an MWS Mk18 build with a Glock as back up. I’m reasonably proficient with both of these including transitions between the two as I use the same rig for ‘practical shooting’ every week. I am just looking for a different style of play just to mix things up (and to justify doing a DMR build).

I agree that for room clearing in many cases where the engagement distances are close a pistol is better than an SMG or an assault rifle (particularly those sites that limit you to semi indoors) so no issue there.

I completely get why you need MED in Airsoft for safety, so not arguing about it, but it does create a sort of twilight zone between say 15/30 metres (e.g. moving between building when engaging targets in a third) where a pistol is outgunned by your rifle wielding opposition, and you would normally just engage with your primary, but can’t.

16 hours ago, PopRocket123 said:

When you say outgunned do you mean range or shear volume of fire? If you had an MP9 you can still use it like a pistol in a pinch but you can also run a red dot on it and unfold the stock and be every effective in CQB. If you got the A2 with the railed from end you could also put a torch on it and use one of these holsters 

20146217151456585851.jpg

Holsters from where, sir, please?

38 minutes ago, Cyberlawyer said:

My regular rig is an MWS Mk18 build with a Glock as back up. I’m reasonably proficient with both of these including transitions between the two as I use the same rig for ‘practical shooting’ every week. I am just looking for a different style of play just to mix things up (and to justify doing a DMR build).

I agree that for room clearing in many cases where the engagement distances are close a pistol is better than an SMG or an assault rifle (particularly those sites that limit you to semi indoors) so no issue there.

I completely get why you need MED in Airsoft for safety, so not arguing about it, but it does create a sort of twilight zone between say 15/30 metres (e.g. moving between building when engaging targets in a third) where a pistol is outgunned by your rifle wielding opposition, and you would normally just engage with your primary, but can’t.

You need a second mini MWS 

694E0968-D75E-412D-B4E5-A071F0A318D1.jpeg

4 hours ago, Steveocee said:

G18C with 3 mags and loaded with 0.32's. Have never felt outgunned going up against AEG's within my MED. Even as a sniper I often find myself one of the first going into buildings or compounds.

Does heavier ammo significantly reduce the full-auto spread? I've got a Marui G18C and every burst of full-auto I tried when plinking on Sat comically went either side of the target or above but never down the centre!

19 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Does heavier ammo significantly reduce the full-auto spread? I've got a Marui G18C and every burst of full-auto I tried when plinking on Sat comically went either side of the target or above but never down the centre!

Can't say I've ever noticed it as I tend not to use fun mode. Semi shots are ridiculous though, consistently one after another with fantastic range. I'm using a CJ barrel, iKey and Autobot 60 in mine and that's all it only has to reach out 30M

Archived