Mag dumping? (Reload)

Dread
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey all,

This may be a silly question sorry, but I’m still pretty new to airsoft so please don’t shoot me 😆

I see people in videos just dumping their mags when reloading, I’m just confused to the possible damage that this does to the mags.

In general, do these people not care about it or are they using very cheap mags? Because my mags are metal and aren’t cheap at £15-£20 per mag, so I’m reluctant to do this even if it is that much faster.

Thanks

Dread

• Supporters

Generally for a midcap its not too bad, especially with a puller or such on it.

Maybe not so much a gas mag, potential to break it and its much more expensive.

I sometimes drop mags when the context is "shit theyre kinda close and i'm out" but normally i take cover and drop them in a dump pouch

2 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

especially with a puller or such on it.

Just had to research what these are, had never heard of them. Will have to pick some up 👍

Now I just need to get my mags to drop, they are so god damn stuff atm

@Dread 👋

Good question I’ve been playing for a few years and I suppose it’s down to preference and the situation your in!?.... 🤔

Me personally I have metal mags and plastic one.
I tend to swap them out, which does take time.... under pressure, drop them carefully as I can (without loosing them)... or use your boot to cushion the impact! 😂

I like to look after my mags and save the cash for more gear!!!! 🔫

My biggest tip is if you do drop your mags, put some identification on them.... It helps when people find them, they give it back to the person retracing their steps or to the Marshals (who can relate), it’s a relief when you get it back, saving you buying more!!!! 😎👍

Hope this helps? 
💷GAMBLE💷

It might look ‘exciting’ in videos to be dropping magazines, but it’s fast enough - and should be faster from last shot to next shot to swap mags:

Dropping=
Release, mag drops (if loose), reach for mag, pull mag(From pouch), insert mag,

go looking for magazines on the floor

(5 steps until you can shoot)

Swap=
Reach for mag, pull mag(From pouch), release,Pull mag(from gun),Insert mag, store empty mag

(3 steps until you can shoot)

Unless you have small hands then you should be able to manipulate two magazines in one hand to be able to reload.

My only bit of advice is remember to pick your mags back up before moving on otherwise you're going to be spending some time wandering around the woods peering into bushes

It's faster for me, yes. Generally I'll dump a mag and with my support hand immediately transition to a fresh magazine. If you tape your mags with a certain colour, you'll be able to retrieve them later. 

That's the way I've been trained to reload, and I'll stick with it. But at the end of the day it's personal preference 

10 hours ago, GAMBLE said:

or use your boot to cushion the impact😂

I do this all the time if I need to drop the mag.

Otherwise I just swap them and chuck the empty one in a dump pouch.

Thanks for everyone’s advice, I’ll be sure to pick up some pullers and put some coloured tape on the mags (I’m assuming electrical tape?)

I only play cqb at the moment as I own an mp5, so I haven’t got to worry about tracing around the woods looking for them. Like other people have suggested, I’ll most likely only want to drop the mag in a hectic situation and then pick it back up before moving on.

Thanks again for everyone’s input 👍

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, Dread said:

put some coloured tape on the mags (I’m assuming electrical tape?)

91AnYcwu8tL._SY450_.jpg

I use a dump pouch, it's pretty much what they're for.

91Ae7joJvAL._SL1500_.jpg

Electrical tape works fine. Most common colours I've seen are red/blue/green. Get yourself a callsign and then write it on there also. Can't go wrong. 

My little pony tape would make you look like a fucking legend though.

Die_Hard_2-_MP5_shooting_blanks.jpg

I hate dump pouches. Too big flappy and cumbersome for my liking. Now and again I'll drop a mag if the pressures on. Sometimes I'll have my mags laid out if holding a point or one ready in my other hand when pushing. I run a couple of the hard type mag holders and tend to stick the empty in the holder I took my fresh one from. When there's a quiet point I rotate fresh ones from conventional cordura/velcro pouches. On a point of marking mags I paint the upper of mine so in pouch or gun it's covered but if I leave it behind it's easy to spot especially as I camoed them.

IMG_7005.thumb.JPG.86dd0fc9be8ee74107a5fbce2166771f.JPG

5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

I use a dump pouch, it's pretty much what they're for.

Yeah I’ll use one of these when I get round to getting one, but still think I’ll drop them mag in a stressful situation.

4 hours ago, Macv276 said:

Get yourself a callsign and then write it on there also. Can't go wrong. 

What’s a callsign?

unfortunately I can’t paint the tops of the mags because I am already in the process of filing them down as they are that tight, they don’t even drop out yet.

Callsign can be anything. My former airsoft team was 1 Echo, so we picked numbers 30 and upwards, IE 1-E-31 was the team leader, ect. Teams use all sorts, really the only limit is your imagination 

It looks and sounds slick on the field, and can clear up confusion when everyone is shouting over each other. It's also helpful to distinguish friend from foe. 

1581261004099916078195026170430.jpg

I’ll be using 3 methods for my mags:

(If I can get them all on?) 🤔

1. Use some tippex to tally mark my mags and the make, E&L 1, etc.
2. Colour tape on the mags, wrapped around the bottom. 
Different colours if needed, for others in my collection.

3. My Callsign on the bottom of the mag, definitely mine! 
Think I’ve cover all possibilities!?.... 😂

Will add some pic, when I get the chance.

Callsigns help in the field with friends, the team your on and on the radios! 😜

💷GAMBLE💷

31CF8CD6-2960-443D-96ED-CE95605F56C0.thumb.jpeg.35fcc9198979a823f2776d8e7069944b.jpeg

Personally I would advise you to look at getting a open type pouch like this 

Tbest Fast Mag Pouch 5.56 Double Magazine Pouch, ABS Fast Mag Pouch Set Magazine Pouch Molle Strike System For 5.56 Mags(Army Green) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07FVH4D8L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_80cqEb2YGW7C7

And belt mount it. 

That way you have a mag that's easily accessible and because of the style replacing the empty mag is easier. 

I have a mag like that and only use the mag on my belt in extreme pressure condition ls but as soon as possible I replace it with another full mag for the next time I need it otherwise I just take a mag from my chest rig (spiritus clone elastic inserts see picture) 

Also if you go down this route I would suggest that you practice your mag changes at home and you will soon become proficient at it and it can be just as quick as dumpling your mag. 

Whatever route you take practice can help you on the field

IMG-20200121-WA0002.jpeg

I don’t know if just me but I feel uncomfortable giving myself a callsign as I’m far too new to this hobby/sport, having only played a handful of times.

But I guess it won’t hurt putting my initials on the bottom.

tbh I was thinking of getting one of these and just attaching it to my everyday belt, as I don’t have any tactical gear yet (part from goggles, mask and gloves)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Viper-Elastic-Double-SMG-Magazine-Plate-Pouch-Airsoft-Molle-Evo-Mp5-VMPLSMG/372647947074?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20180816085401%26meid%3D4672370971294154ae7ac899154a317a%26pid%3D100970%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D372647947074%26itm%3D372647947074%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100970.m5481&_trkparms=pageci%3A6b5e2e62-4b5c-11ea-9e64-74dbd18070f7|parentrq%3A2adcf9a31700a4e922675789ffe357e2|iid%3A1

• Moderators

dont panic about call signs if your new. if on your own, no one will end up using it, there are loads of teams out there and thats when it can benefit them better as mentioned, trying to distinguish players in a large group

if you have combat type trousers on, just use the large pockets on the side to store you mags when empty and changing,, thats kinda what they are for and what i do as its by my side, then when quiet or at respawn, reload and go back out

my mags just have a small bit of paint on the bottom in a grove (so i knew which were 45 and 80 rd mags), occasionally i'll add some white or yellow electrical tape, but that was more for my benefit so i knew which ones had tracer rounds in

I like @heroshark method of painting the top, might try that as well in the warmer months

Yeah I do have combat trousers but want to get a pouch ASAP so like Mogaly674 suggested, I want to practice at home so I can get my reload to be as fast and efficient as possible.

I do have a couple of months or so before I play next, so I should have time to get a pouch as it’s next on my purchase list 👍

My mags so far...

C2FBD041-F2C0-4864-80A9-1651F4EC297B.jpeg

FFA2F958-5BEE-439F-95F2-779A46298439.jpeg

i run shotgun mostly atm so 10 shots and reload. depending on situation depends how i reload- not efficient mind. am trying to master one handed lever opening and firing spent shell straight into dump and other hand getting and putting fresh shell in but time a shell sticks so trying to swap shells with one hand. im sure if i stick at it ill get there. think i can reload as fast now as i do my m4 but needs to be faster in cqb...

57 minutes ago, remus said:

i run shotgun mostly atm so 10 shots and reload. depending on situation depends how i reload- not efficient mind. am trying to master one handed lever opening and firing spent shell straight into dump and other hand getting and putting fresh shell in but time a shell sticks so trying to swap shells with one hand. im sure if i stick at it ill get there. think i can reload as fast now as i do my m4 but needs to be faster in cqb...

have your full shell in your hand  before opening. Open the gate (even quicker if you remove the gate) and drop the empty shell direct from the gun into the same hand the full one is in and slam the full one in. They are small enough to manipulate in the one hand. Then close gate or not if you have removed it ,saves an operation. Finally dump shell where you see fit.  I would demonstrate but no longer have a shotty.

Archived