Realistic Lifespan

MattCoops91
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Just a quick hypothetical. 

When people say and 11.1v lipo will shred a cheap gearbox, what's a realistic lifespan? 

So for example, £60 CYMA M4 from Taiwangun, 11.1v lipo. Are we talking 10 games or ten mins? 

This is purely hypothetical I'm just curious as it seems to me at something like ten games £6 a games not bad even if it gets wrecked.

Really depends on how that in individual rifle left that factory. If you get lucky it could last some time. Otherwise it might not even last a half day skirmish. You won't know until it happens. 

The other thing you need to think of is that due to the UK power rating, many guns will overspin like crazy on a 11.1v out of the box. So no single fire. 

• Supporters

There's no real answer, too many factors involved & a gearbox is only as good as its weakest part, irrespective of the battery involved.

i had a CA piston strip on its first mag, brand new gun running an 8.4, obviously the higher speeds of an 11.1 will put extra strain on parts.

Ahhh I see. Thanks for the quick replies guys. I suppose it's the old adage that it's the consistency of lower priced items that's the worst. 

I only play once every 3-4 months so if it did last a while it could have been a viable solution instead of investing heavily in something I don't use much.

I'm happy with my combat machine for now though. It's pretty weak but does the job!!! 

• Supporters
54 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

many guns will overspin like crazy on a 11.1v out of the box.

Confirmed, my CYMA overspun with 11.1V.   Might be because PatrolBase cut the stock spring down instead of fitting a new, lighter one, so there was very little initial load.  Perfectly reasonable thing for them to do, it works fine on nimh or 7.4V, but it is a real issue with 11.1V.

• Supporters

depends on the gun, and tbh cheaper brands can be no more susceptible than the pricier ones.

all it takes is for it to be being pushed too fast and it'll kill it in no time.

if it's not going too fast it can last fine, my jg ran for ages on stock internals and 11.1v.

you will want at least a basic mosfet to save the trigger contacts though.

• Supporters
13 hours ago, MattCoops91 said:

Ahhh I see. Thanks for the quick replies guys. I suppose it's the old adage that it's the consistency of lower priced items that's the worst. 

I only play once every 3-4 months so if it did last a while it could have been a viable solution instead of investing heavily in something I don't use much.

I'm happy with my combat machine for now though. It's pretty weak but does the job!!! 

Weak how? There's plenty of small, low cost things you can do to improve its performance.

Thanks for the reply but I've actually fixed it since posting this. Took it to bits last night and the nozzle had an awful seal with the cylinder head which was causing 280fps. Much better since I changed the nozzle! 

• 3 weeks later...

Everything is anecdotal.

The only way to find out is to do it. Yes certain parts and materials will be weaker and more prone to failure.

Saying that, there are a few very cheap or free things you can do to help cheaper setups last a lot longer on an 11v lipo.

Full shs metal 14 toothed piston

Cheap shs Metal piston head

Cushion the back of the cylinder head to reduce shock

Cheap bushing upgrade

Cheap metal spring guide

Rewire to deans

Rewire gun to as thick guage wire as can fit

Wire in a fuse

Good shim job

Make sure everything is well cleaned and lubed

Correct the aoe

Dont spam the trigger on semi

Dont hold down the trigger on auto for half an hour

These things come to like 20 or 30 quid.

2 hours ago, EDcase said:

Note to all AEG beginners... a more powerful battery (volts) will not make it shoot with higher power (fps)

Who said it would? (Not being a dick although it sounds like it) 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, MattCoops91 said:

Who said it would? (Not being a dick although it sounds like it) 

There are some, usually noobs, who have openly questioned "surely more battery power equals more power in general", sometimes it's worded differently but the question is essentially the same, those kinda questions have been around the various forums probably as long as "wot am bestest gun".

• Supporters
16 hours ago, EDcase said:

I wasn't directed at you Matt.

Its just for new players who come across this thread looking for battery info 

Indeed, there was a chap recently who implied that his fps came down once he'd run the battery down a bit.  I died a little inside.

Well, I can imagine that a powerful battery can bring the piston back faster than a weak one which may affect fps a tiny bit.  But certainly not worth the wear and problems it will incur.

• Supporters
4 hours ago, EDcase said:

Well, I can imagine that a powerful battery can bring the piston back faster than a weak one which may affect fps a tiny bit.  But certainly not worth the wear and problems it will incur.

RoF yes, FPS no. Not physically possible.

1 hour ago, Lozart said:

RoF yes, FPS no. Not physically possible.

Yeah, I didn't think so but there may be a tiny difference (maybe not even measurable) if the piston is brought back with enough force to slightly over-compress the spring that would give it a tiny bit more acceleration.

Ignore me, I must be talkin shit

Archived