Moding my AEG

W35TI3
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

17 minutes ago, Nick G said:

down to an M100 or even an M95 which will keep you below site limits . 

Well this was one of the things I was thinking is going back down to it's original m100 spring and using the 6.01 bore 509mm barrel 

• Supporters
14 hours ago, W35TI3 said:

I totally understand where your all coming form but if it was hot wouldn't the people i shot at short range complain and have bad marks

At 286fps with 0.32g you'd be at 1.21J which is just slightly over the 1.13J limit at most sites.  Not really a safety concern, especially if you were sticking to semi auto, as it sounds like you were.

However, 358fps with 0.32g would be way over for an AEG (legally as well as for the site's insurance purposes), and it's a good thing that you got knocked back at chrono with that.

However, I don't want to sound too flappy over this.  After all, accidents (and Kicking Mustangs) happen and folk do get point-blanked by ~2.3J BBs from sniper rifles and still walk away.

And none of this is a reflection on you: I turned up with a sniper with a "500fps" (2.3J) spring freshly inserted to find it chronoing at 600fps with 0.2g = 3.33J!  That's what chrono (and player honesty) is for.

It's more of an issue with the site playing fast and loose with physics (their Joules and fps numbers don't match), and on waving through a gun that was, on the face of it, still slightly hot.  Once you start saying "Ah, close enough", where does the creep end?

At my local site, they chrono with site-supplied 0.2g BBs and I have seen site regulars getting their guns knocked back, with apologies, for hitting 351fps on one shot out of three.  No exceptions.

58 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Once you start saying "Ah, close enough", where does the creep end?

The main reason they are looking at Jules more then FPS is because of an HPA player who had passed crono AEG on .40 and people were getting hurt, I was full auto shot by him at close range he could hear I had been hit but didn't stop shooting and the reason I couldn't put my hand up or shout hit because it hurt that much, so they have clamped down rules and modifed some as prof there that a powerful can can pass but it needs to be safe, which in my case was, for I will always use semi I just don't like to play with min engagement purely because I can't always tell the range.

• Supporters

They're quite right to specify limits in Joules.

The issue is whether they're doing it correctly.

Quite apart from their calculations being off, trusting players about what BB weights we're using is safety theatre.

Again, not really your problem, unless you're over the legal limits.  Which it appears that you are with the tightbore barrel.

9 hours ago, W35TI3 said:

I was in and out that chrono station 4-5 times to get it right to pass for AEG and to prove I was using .32s I took and brand new pot freshly opened Infront of him. And I know you all say get clues up on it I'm trying as fast as I can but I see my gun 2 days out of 2 months due to me working/living in Germany 

What exactly did you change other than applying too much hop to restrict the power output?

You don't need to see your gun to understand the law, FPS, joules and research what rough figures you should expect.

• Supporters
On 05/02/2020 at 18:24, Rogerborg said:

This is from your site's published rules?  If so, they need kicked up the arse, for a couple of reasons.

First, because those numbers are just wrong.  360fps (109.728m) with a 0.2g BB isn't 1.3J, it's 1.2J.  (well, 1.20402J).  Likewise, 420fps with 0.2 is 1.64J not 1.7J and 500 is 2.32J, not 2.4J.

Don't take my word for it, that's physics.  

KE=1/2 m v2 as per https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/physics/kinetic.php or https://airsoftnation.co.uk/fps-calculator/

They need to sort themselves out and decide whether they're chronoing with those Joule limits, or with 0.2g BBs and those FPS numbers.  They're not the same.

Second, because 1.3J is also bang on the legal limit for a fully auto gun to be classed as an airsoft gun. Worse, the legal definition is the energy that its "capable of" producing using "any missile".  So if you turn up with a gun that can spit out your BB of choice at exactly 1.3J with the hop set bang on, then chances are it could produce over 1.3J with a heavier or lighter BB (or a steel or lead 6m BB - "any missile") or with the hop set differently.

That's why most sites use a lower limit, generally 1.13J for AEGs and 2.3J for bolties, to give a safety margin.

Sorry to bang on about this, and it's not aimed at you, but at the site.  It's really not hard to get this right, and it's literally their job.  How are you supposed to stay on the right side of the site rules and the law if they don't even know themselves?

Strictly speaking that's not what their published rules say https://imperiumairsoft.com/rules-of-engagement/

They're saying the limit is 360FPS on 0.2 but that it must be less than 1.3J. Bit of a contradiction as you say but I'm guessing they originally started off with the FPS check and added the (admittedly incorrect) joules afterwards.

Archived