Jump to content
Concerned Hobbit

Moving to Edinburgh from the United States

Recommended Posts

I just found your forum, and was hoping you all could provide me with some insight as to what to do with my current Airsoft gear. I'm planning on moving to Edinburgh in the next year, and I have a decent bit of gear that I am trying to decide whether it is legal and/or a good idea to bring with me.

 

Does anyone here have experience coming into the country with Airsoft guns? And beyond that, I've heard information about rules regarding two-tone guns, having to get registered... I apologize if this has already been asked and answered in another post, but I couldn't find it by searching. 

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we really need is for one of the people who ask this question about moving to the UK and importing to come back afterwards and let us know what method they used and the results.

 

it was asked here, but the thread did deviate

 

There are two sides to importing your gear:

1) Is it UK legal?

2) Is it VCRA compliant?

 

For (1) someone else will need to clarify as I’m from the paintball world, but I believe it must be within 2.5 joules if single shot and within 1.3 joules for burst for & automatic

 

For (2) as an established player, provided you intend to play on insured sites then you technically comply with the needs of the VCRA to import your RIFs.

However you may need to be able to prove that.

The main scheme in the UK is the UKARA under which you need to play 3 games in a set time period at a UKARA participating site.  But for you this would mean moving here, playing then arranging for your gear to be sent. 
You can contact Border Force / UK customs and ask the question about bringing them when you travel.  (Also check with the airline etc about carrying in your luggage - as airsoft sports equipment etc)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what I gather, if you already own the guns you should have no problems bringing them with you (and using them at skirms) because UKARA is mostly about buying airsoft guns (you still have to make sure you can bring them on the plan properly tho).

 

I haven't seen anyone attending a gameday and bringing his own gear being asked if he had a UKARA number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Smiling-Dutchman said:

From what I gather, if you already own the guns you should have no problems bringing them with you (and using them at skirms) because UKARA is mostly about buying airsoft guns (you still have to make sure you can bring them on the plan properly tho).

 

I haven't seen anyone attending a gameday and bringing his own gear being asked if he had a UKARA number.

Nah, you need a defence to import aswell regardless of whether its already been purchased. Especially a gun shaped thing from the USA! UKARA being the easiest to use for the concerned parties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yukarin said:

 

Nah, you need a defence to import aswell regardless of whether its already been purchased. Especially a gun shaped thing from the USA! UKARA being the easiest to use for the concerned parties.

I'll take your word for it, I never was sure so I held off with buying an airsoft gun until I moved to the UK, just in case

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

30 minutes ago, Yukarin said:

 

Nah, you need a defence to import aswell regardless of whether its already been purchased. Especially a gun shaped thing from the USA! UKARA being the easiest to use for the concerned parties.

 Yes but it doesn't matter what kind of defence you have as long as it's compliant. The UKARA is just a way of proving you're an Airsofter and not some random nutter (But who really knows 🤷‍♂️). If you can prove it in another way customs might let it through but as was previously said it would be worth asking them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Splodge said:

 

 Yes but it doesn't matter what kind of defence you have as long as it's compliant. The UKARA is just a way of proving you're an Airsofter and not some random nutter (But who really knows 🤷‍♂️). If you can prove it in another way customs might let it through but as was previously said it would be worth asking them

Thats why I said 'a defence' and not that UKARA is the only defence but rather it is one of the easiest to prove as there is a database.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would suggest that you sell your US spec rifs at home and just bring your gear . Otherwise they will have to be downgraded fps wise . Once here ask on these forums and I’m sure you will get people willing to help you at skirmish sites until you get your UKARA . Then you can go shopping for new rifs . That way you,ve got no worry about correct procedure or jumping through bureaucratic hoops .

       Also you won’t be sweating when going through customs wondering if they will be seized for some paperwork error . Looking nervous at customs is never good .

     Plus as I said , you can go rif shopping and we all love that .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, #blackadder said:

I would suggest that you sell your US spec rifs at home and just bring your gear . Otherwise they will have to be downgraded fps wise

 

Repeated for emphasis.  An automatic airsoft gun capable of producing over 1.3J (very common in the USA) is technically a Section 5 prohibited firearm in the UK.

 

It's unlikely to be an issue within the UK, but if you're importing it, you're inviting examination.

 

If you do want to try importing your guns, I'd approach one of the site near Edinburgh at which you're intending to play, and ask them if you can send the guns to them, for you to pick up when you play there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do you have any family staying stateside that could post stuff to you?

 

You could bring your gear, do a few rental games and get your ukara, then get them to post your guns over.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's all really helpful information, thank you all for being so friendly! From your advice I think it may just be easiest to either keep it in the US and mail it later or just sell it and go shopping later. Avoiding all the complications of importing and possible FPS restrictions sounds like the easiest route. I'll definitely be asking for more advice come shopping time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have you done much upgrading to your guns? may be worth returning tehm to standard as such and posting the upgrade parts to yourself  then selling gun so can buy new gun and put parts into... bear in mind downgrading to uk standards

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the guns I've done some work to, but it's currently in a non-functional state (funny how that works out). The other gun is still stock, so it doesn't really break my heart to sell it. The modified gun is also custom painted, which from what I've read may also be a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Concerned Hobbit said:

One of the guns I've done some work to, but it's currently in a non-functional state (funny how that works out).

 

No idea what you mean. [whistles innocently, doesn't look in the Box of Perpetual Ignorance]

 

 

2 hours ago, Concerned Hobbit said:

The modified gun is also custom painted, which from what I've read may also be a problem.

 

For import or selling?

 

Import, not really.  It's either realistic, or it's not.  If you get lucky, it won't even be spotted.

 

For selling, it could go either way. It's likely to put some buyers off, but if you find that unicorn buyer who really likes it, it might add value. There's only one way to find out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Concerned Hobbit said:

One of the guns I've done some work to, but it's currently in a non-functional state (funny how that works out). The other gun is still stock, so it doesn't really break my heart to sell it. The modified gun is also custom painted, which from what I've read may also be a problem.

ahh then id say sell the lot and buy fresh. likely have to downgrade to our lower fps, taking in shipping costs and such... unless you have anything thats harder to get over here... possibly wrth considering pistols.... what collection do you currently have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi , welcome to the forum & to Edinburgh soon 👍

I would think of two possibilities 

1. ask one of the retailers if you could get them sent to their retail store for you to collect

2. trust a member on here from Edinburgh (👋 me) and get your kit posted to them with their UKARA number to ensure safe passage and meet up and collect

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

For import or selling?

 

For import. At this point I think I'm probably just going to hand it off to a friend who has the time/money to do more with it than I can at this point.

 

5 hours ago, remus said:

ahh then id say sell the lot and buy fresh. likely have to downgrade to our lower fps, taking in shipping costs and such... unless you have anything thats harder to get over here... possibly wrth considering pistols.... what collection do you currently have?

All I have left now is a VFC SCAR-H (the painted, non-functioning gun) and a Classic Army Scarab. I do have some sights, plenty of mid-caps, bbs, loaders, etc. 

 

2 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Hi , welcome to the forum & to Edinburgh soon 👍

I would think of two possibilities 

1. ask one of the retailers if you could get them sent to their retail store for you to collect

 2. trust a member on here from Edinburgh (👋 me) and get your kit posted to them with their UKARA number to ensure safe passage and meet up and collect

Thanks so much for the offer! As the date nears, I will definitely let you all know what I decide to end up doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...