Sniping

tictacchris
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Well i was thinking, im starting to save some money for maybe a new gun. i got a g36c and love it and obviously will keep it.

A sniper rifle has intersted me. i see them at skirmish's and they look so badass and put fear into the opposition. "SNIPER!"

But are they really that good? not sure if its worth the high price tag for a good sniper?

Sniping is good if you have alot of patience and don't mind finding a good position, lining up the shot ect... If you want to be a propper sniper then you need to play mor milsim based games whilst at a normal days skirmish it's more of a sharpshooter role.

• Supporters

If you have the money, time, skill and patience, then yes.

Buying a rifle won't make you a sniper, you need to, firstly spend a shed load on upgrades to make it capable of great ranges, and accurate at the same time. You need the time to learn about your rifle, get to know how it shoots, your effective ranges and how good a shot you are. Wind has a.much bigger affect in airsoft too so you need to learn to factor that in.

Patience is also key. You need to be able ro stay still, and move slowly, see but be unseen and know to pick your shots wisely.

You're looking at 700 quid to get a good upgraded rifle, but the skilll and fieldcraft is just as important. A sniper can be very effective.... just the majority of them aren't.

"SNIPER!" is right.

If you fire one shot, and take down an enemy who isnt on his own, his teammates will fire wildly in your general direction. Generally, you will get hit. Even with a highly accurate, long range rifle, unless its milsim, they will just unload, lobbing rounds in the chance one will hit you.

And whilst that barrage is landing all around you, unless you have a semi auto, you will not be able to return accurate fire very quickly.

In my opinion, it is the biggest aspect of warfare that doesnt translate well to airsoft.

If you have fired one shot, hit the enemy but are then seen you are not a good sniper. You need to be Patient, Accurate and be Unseen. If done correctly you should be able to shoot and hit people without giving your position away. I haven't been sniping yet (waiting for my 18th birthday :) but I did manage to completely hide myself in some shrubs. I then managed to take out 2 people from a team of about 5 with my crappy hired gun, firing in quite large sprays, before being seen by the rest of the team. If I had a sniper I would have been able to take those 2 people with 2/3 shots as opposed to the few hundred I needed to waste with the hire gun. If it took the team a few hundred bb's and two team mates to realize where I was, I doubt very much they could figure it out with only 2/3 bb's, especially if you are using the camo ones :)

If you have fired one shot, hit the enemy but are then seen you are not a good sniper. You need to be Patient, Accurate and be Unseen. If done correctly you should be able to shoot and hit people without giving your position away. I haven't been sniping yet (waiting for my 18th birthday :) but I did manage to completely hide myself in some shrubs. I then managed to take out 2 people from a team of about 5 with my crappy hired gun, firing in quite large sprays, before being seen by the rest of the team. If I had a sniper I would have been able to take those 2 people with 2/3 shots as opposed to the few hundred I needed to waste with the hire gun. If it took the team a few hundred bb's and two team mates to realize where I was, I doubt very much they could figure it out with only 2/3 bb's, especially if you are using the camo ones :)

Well. I disagree.

Sound. Even using a G-SPEC, unless there is a lot of loud bangs, running and combat going on (not where a sniper wants to be really) then observant players will still hear it. Patience, accuracy and being hidden does not affect the sound the gun makes. So, you hear a quiet "thunk" from your 4 oclock, and your team mate has been hit. What would you do? I would aim in that direction and fire away. I would then try to move up to where i think the sniper was.

How your opponents didnt see where the trails of bb's were coming from, or hear the whirring of the motor from the gun, i dont know.

Another problem, is that people will tell their teammates roughly where they were shot from. Its not sporting, but it happens.

I still stand by my views.

How your opponents didnt see where the trails of bb's were coming from, or hear the whirring of the motor from the gun, i dont know.

Another problem, is that people will tell their teammates roughly where they were shot from. Its not sporting, but it happens.

I still stand by my views.

That's kind of my point, after the first two kills, they did realise. With a sniper I doubt that they would have been able to determine where I had shot from, especially if I had timed the shots right. As to the sound, I would imagine that if you let an enemy close enough to hear your airsoft sniper rifle firing, then I don't think that you are a very good sniper :P Also at those kind of ranges your best bet would probably be to cut your looses and just bust out your secondary weapon. I very much doubt that at 100 - 150 ft you could hear an airsoft sniper shot, especially if you are using a spring.

i have a vsr10 G-spec, with the silencer u cannot hear the direction of the shot, that is if u hear the shot at all.

i am currently making a ghillie suit, with it i will be unstopable. lol

I also have a G-SPEC. Maybe i have just been unlucky with the people i play against, but its not a natural woodland sound, no matter how faint, so people still seek out the source.

That's kind of my point, after the first two kills, they did realise. With a sniper I doubt that they would have been able to determine where I had shot from, especially if I had timed the shots right. As to the sound, I would imagine that if you let an enemy close enough to hear your airsoft sniper rifle firing, then I don't think that you are a very good sniper :P Also at those kind of ranges your best bet would probably be to cut your looses and just bust out your secondary weapon. I very much doubt that at 100 - 150 ft you could hear an airsoft sniper shot, especially if you are using a spring.

They didnt notice the first one, even thought you had to fire quite a few? On full auto its like drawing a big white line to your position.

Many scenarios involve "one direction". Not the horrible boy band, the method of play, where one team is moving towards another team. Often, the enemy will have a rough idea where you are coming from.

Lastly, i play woodland, so it may be different to you, but its rare to get a straight line of sight 100 -150 ft long. Pretty much any twig will cause a deflection. Even if you got a window of opportunity to fire, they would need to be stationary. And if you are not playing woodland, then sniping in its "truest" form is near impossible, as most sites have game boundaries and rules about gaining height advantage i.e no tree climbing.

Just trying to paint a realistic picture, its not like marky mark at the start of Shooter, or Jackson in the bell tower on Saving Private Ryan.

At the end of the day all you can do is try it out.

Everyone just has to realise, sniping doesn't make you invisible, nor does wearing a ghillie suit.

It's go more to do with skill and fieldcraft.

That's spot on.

I know 3 or 4 people who snipe at Heywood. The really good snipers aren't the ones who have the suppressed V-tech £1000000 drain-pipe rifle and ghille suit, its the ones who know how to use the field to their advantage. Hell, sometimes ghille suits can be a disadvantage, when suddenly you see a bush that doesn't match the rest of the site. (Or it gets up and walks away! :lol: )

Hell, I've managed to be a sniper once, despite the fact my L86 sounds "like a box of spanners falling down a flight of stairs". I got 6 people before the enemy team managed to take me out, and that was when their flanking unit walked next to me. How?

Using fallen leaves and branches to cover me, and hiding in a holly bush, and literally not moving for 45 minutes. Sometimes hiding in view is the best method - no-one expects it.

Earned me the nickname "fat ninja" :lol:

I'll see if I can find a photo...

• Supporters
Earned me the nickname "fat ninja"

Better than my nickname of 'lesbian finger' :P

But as said,the tactics you use are most important. Being able to find the best strategic point, best place to shoot from and how to calculate your shots.

Knowing how to camouflage yourself properly and how to hide are as important as anything else.

Better than my nickname of 'lesbian finger' :P

Do we want to know how/what earned you that nickname?

As to using terrain to your advantage - see the photo.

This was only half of the cover I was eventually under. From head-on, the opposition couldn't see me. They didn't believe that I was there until after I'd crawled out :lol:

And to make matters funnier, I'm usually the least sneaky, stealthy or accurate!

post-602-1307181839_thumb.jpg

• Supporters

I know I do!

I know I am a great advocate of 'dont snipe, get an AEG with nice hop up and all that' but chances are I'll be buying a Well Gas VSR today, whack on my back and have something awesome for picking those off who are either just a touch out of reach or who are 'reluctant' to take their hits.

Spring is quite loud to be honest, if you're going to talk about quiet sniper rifles then you should be looking at gas rifles.

I was reading a thread where op was talking about how people always think the 500fps sniper rifle is the most important thing, and how he liked to snipe at about 200fps (if I dont miss remember) and having to use his skill a bit more. Reading that I was thinking... as a starter, you might as well just have a scope with you. Attach the scope and go semi and you can do sniping ...or you could even go for the g36 with built in 3.5 scope and have a red dot attached to the RIS.

Advantages I can see would be:

-semi auto, allowing you less movement and higher rate of fire.

-no need for a sidearm, if you get ambushed, you dont have a bolt fire rifle and dont need to worry about 30m distance.

-Biggest one: No need to spend a lot until you know it's for you and if you didn't like it, you can just switch back to "normal".. could even do that during the game.

This was more a question than a statement. Could anyone out there confirm however its a good or a bad idea :)

As to using terrain to your advantage - see the photo.

This was only half of the cover I was eventually under. From head-on, the opposition couldn't see me. They didn't believe that I was there until after I'd crawled out :lol:

And to make matters funnier, I'm usually the least sneaky, stealthy or accurate!

I'm quite impressed how well you hide with a bright red rifle.

I'm quite impressed how well you hide with a bright red rifle.

That was the camera flash. Before I (legally) turned it back to its 'natural' colour scheme, the red was very dull. It never once gave my position away (unlike most of the radioactive-slime-green monstrosities out there). A team-mate's desert camo rifle was far more difficult to hide than mine.

Archived