Newbie who wants to snipe

chaos19810
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guy and gals

Ive been airsofting for about an year now and have decided that i want to snipe, after an amazing day and invicus with a 5o quid rifle with a broken scope. Well after looking around ive decided thar i like the look of the A&K suv dragunov there is one on this site im looking at and i was wondering on any advice with sniping and espically peoples experence with the gun. If you can recommend another gun the budget i have is £200

thanks

andy

• 2 weeks later...
Hi guy and gals

Ive been airsofting for about an year now and have decided that i want to snipe, after an amazing day and invicus with a 5o quid rifle with a broken scope. Well after looking around ive decided thar i like the look of the A&K suv dragunov there is one on this site im looking at and i was wondering on any advice with sniping and espically peoples experence with the gun. If you can recommend another gun the budget i have is £200

thanks

andy

Hey mate fellow sniper here :)

if you would be willing to go up another £99 you can get a really nice sniper, its semi auto but its super sexy and pretty damn reliable.

Here is the LINK

but to be more realistic there isn't really snipers below the £250 mark I would suggest getting either a TM L96AWS which float around the £250 mark or if you could buy the WELL warrior mb-01 02 03 or 04 and they start from about £140 there actually nice snipers for the price and you get a lot of gear for them.

• Supporters

dont listen to the above. It wouldnt be a good sniper, a dmr maybe but its the ares one which is terrible.

The only sniper rifle worth having under £250 (especially for a beginner) is the VSR-10, no two ways about it- it is simply the best gun for that money, as is generally regarded as the best sniper rifle available. Range, accuracy, reliability- it is one of the (if not THE) best

Saying that, I dont reccomend sniping for a beginner at all, and i strongly advise you to get an AEG.

Also its probably worth you reading my begginners guide in my sig

Guys, if you read his post you'd realise he isn't actually a newbie.

When it comes to airsoft sniper rifles, you really only have 2 choices - the L96, and the VSR. Everything else is almost impossible to find upgrade parts for, so not a good option. In terms of function, the VSR is a far better choice - mostly because it's so much lighter than the L96.

Ideally you'd buy a pre-upgraded TM VSR 10. There are usually a couple floating round the forums, and depending on their internals, retail from £250- £350.

However, if your budget is a strict £200, then I'd recommend purchasing a Warrior L96 - you'll struggle to find an upgraded gun for £200, and the L96 shoots a lot better out of the box, mainly because of it's higher FPS.

• Supporters

The A&K Dragunov is a fine rifle for sniping, regardless of what marksman says (sorry mate), and he is right that the VSR is a fantastically adccurate and rangey rifle. ONCE UPGRADED. I am in the process of doing a VSR build at the moment, and I doubt I'll get much change from £600.

The bits of a rifle you need to upgrade are as follows:

FPS

New spring, sears, cylinder - everything hardware in the back of the gun

Accuracy

Barrel, hop up and heavy BB's

Range

Hop up

The expensive part (and the important bit) is the FPS of it, which the Dragunov already has sorted.

the Dragunov hop up is fine, not the best, but works quite well.

barrel is AEG compatible, so get a 590mm AEG barrel and you're shooting straight and far.

I'm not really surprised, but no-ones mentioned gas!

Gas is the way forward, IMO. Most realistic snipers, they look much better and feel significantly less toy-like than the VSR or Warrior L96. Can't comment on the Maruzen, haven't even held one :( Though I'm considering getting one.

You can buy a KJW M700, put a VSR bucking and barrel in it and you're set. After time you can replace internals with G&G steel parts, which are readily available from pretty much any HK site, and if you're that worried about consistency you can build a Co2/HPA rig and you're going to end up with much more consistent results than a VSR (depending on the quality of your regulator) You can even go down the solenoid route for an FPS variance of 0, but that's getting complicated and I'd be happy with a variance of 2FPS+/- tbh. Using green I get 6+/-, which is pretty shocking for VSR users but I'm working on an internal Co2 rig design so I don't have an ugly coil line outside of my rifle. I hate them, but it's a personal thing.

They also have the advantage of a zero resistance bolt, realistic disassembly, correct mag placement without the need for complicated mechs. The more parts there are, the more parts can go wrong ;)

Gas is a very simple and effective system, and the Tanaka takes it to a whole new level of quality compared to the KJW.

Though the KJW takes VSR barrels + buckings + AEG hop nubs out of the box, the Tanaka needs a chamber conversion and still doesn't take AEG nubs as far as I know (not without modification).

Also, gas rifles are much quieter than spring, and silencers come into a world of their own. Yes, mags are expensive which is the biggest downside IMO, but if you're a serious sniper (or even if you're not, you just have the one mag maybe?) then you don't need to have many mags anyway. Yes mags are nice, but not a must have.

The KJW setup, with VSR barrel + bucking, will cost about £180, if you pick up a fully functional second hand KJW M700.

With Co2/HPA rig, I've heard that you can make them from as cheaply as £50, up to as much as you want to spend.

Mags are Tanaka compatible, same with the bolt and pretty much everything apart from the bolt nozzle (the tanaka one thins out, the KJW doesn't) and the hop up chamber and subsequently the inner barrel.

You might be able to tell, but I'm slowly morphing into a Gas sniper fanatic ;)

Well he has been playing for a year, so I would have thought now is as good a time as any to learn a new system?

Plus there's a heap of people out there who prefer gas over anything else, myself included, who will happily hand out advice if he gets stuck.

I think that gas weapons are a lot simpler than AEG's, maybe as simple as spring rifles. They're all mechanics and the most difficult part is getting a good seal in your mags, which in all honesty isn't that hard, you just need a good o-ring set :P

Archived