TM HK45 slide lock problems

CombatVVombat
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I got a brand new TM HK45 today and initially it was working fine. Then after a few shots (both with bbs and with the blank firing plug in the magazine using ASG Ultrair gas) the slide stopped locking back consistently. Firing with one or two rounds in the magazine it may or may not lock back, and it may lock back when continuing to fire the gun, or it may not. When the slide locks back, inserting the magazine or jolting the gun can sometimes cause the slide to release, as though it's not engaging fully. This also happens if I rack the slide with an empty mag, then insert a new mag. I've got 3 magazines and the issue seems consistent across all of them, so I'm assuming it's an issue with the gun. 

Any help would be appreciated. If it's something stupid that I'm doing then it'd be good to know so I can stop. If it sounds like a faulty gun I'll send it back. 

Have you been shooting it  indoors or outdoors?

Even outdoors it should be OK with Ultrair, and the slide slipping out of lock back is not acceptable..

If I were you I would contact the retailer send it back and ask for a  replacement or your money back, if they haven't got one.

Then try another retailer.

Simple things first. Have you lubed the slide? Two of my TM pistols came bone dry and would do the same.

25 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Simple things first. Have you lubed the slide? Two of my TM pistols came bone dry and would do the same.

Thanks for the reply. I've tried some lube and it has helped a little bit, but it's still not locking back all the time. If the magazine is full it seems to not lock, however it'll lock on the last few shots before the gas runs out. 

27 minutes ago, emilianoksa said:

Have you been shooting it  indoors or outdoors?

Even outdoors it should be OK with Ultrair, and the slide slipping out of lock back is not acceptable..

If I were you I would contact the retailer send it back and ask for a  replacement or your money back, if they haven't got one.

Then try another retailer.

Indoors, and it's around 20 degrees so not overly cold. 

I'll get in touch with them and see what they say. I'm not sure how much wear on the locking mechanism is to be expected, but it seems to be quite visibly worn (i.e. rounded) on one side already. 

Had a similar issue with two brand new M&PL 9’s from CAMOraids, exactly the same inconsistent issues.

Seems to be a QC issue with the latest batches of TM’s. CAMOraids sorted mine, they polished the internals and sorted the issue.

If it’s new, just take it back to the retailer

Thanks for all the help and advice. As a quick update I spoke to the seller on Wednesday and they asked me to send it back for them to look at it. They got it this afternoon and emailed to say that they've replicated the issue and agree that it shouldn't be happening, especially with a TM. The tech wanted to discuss it with their manager to work out the best plan going forward, so hopefully that shouldn't take too long. So far I'm happy with how they've handled it, but I'll post an update when I've got it if anybody else has a similar issue. 

1 hour ago, CombatVVombat said:

Thanks for all the help and advice. As a quick update I spoke to the seller on Wednesday and they asked me to send it back for them to look at it. They got it this afternoon and emailed to say that they've replicated the issue and agree that it shouldn't be happening, especially with a TM. The tech wanted to discuss it with their manager to work out the best plan going forward, so hopefully that shouldn't take too long. So far I'm happy with how they've handled it, but I'll post an update when I've got it if anybody else has a similar issue. 

Excellent, don’t forget to let us know the retailer and result

Ok, so they've looked at it further and said that they've checked a new one and the issue is the same, but only when constantly firing as the valve freezes up, which they're saying is common with CO2 and Green Gas, and because the outside temperature is cold the valve isn't operating properly which is reducing its effectiveness leading to the slide not locking, which all makes sense.

When I tested the gun I waited 24 hours with the gun sat in a warm house (20 degrees) so I feel like the air temperature should have been less of a factor. I've checked to see if the gun was tested by them indoors or outdoors to get a bit more info from them. 

They've said that they tried my magazine in the new pistol and it did the same thing too. They've offered to swap, send a new pistol, exchange it for the same type, or refund me, so I can't fault them on that front. I've got 2 spare mags for it so unless they're willing to refund all of it, which I'm not expecting, I'd be stuck with 2 mags that aren't any use. 

I'm a bit confused because there aren't many cases of this happening with the HK45, so I feel like it's not overly widespread. As @rocketdogbert said it seems more like a QC issue than an outcome of the design of it, but any advice is appreciated. 

On 03/02/2020 at 13:10, CombatVVombat said:

Ok, so they've looked at it further and said that they've checked a new one and the issue is the same, but only when constantly firing as the valve freezes up, which they're saying is common with CO2 and Green Gas, and because the outside temperature is cold the valve isn't operating properly which is reducing its effectiveness leading to the slide not locking, which all makes sense.

When I tested the gun I waited 24 hours with the gun sat in a warm house (20 degrees) so I feel like the air temperature should have been less of a factor. I've checked to see if the gun was tested by them indoors or outdoors to get a bit more info from them. 

They've said that they tried my magazine in the new pistol and it did the same thing too. They've offered to swap, send a new pistol, exchange it for the same type, or refund me, so I can't fault them on that front. I've got 2 spare mags for it so unless they're willing to refund all of it, which I'm not expecting, I'd be stuck with 2 mags that aren't any use. 

I'm a bit confused because there aren't many cases of this happening with the HK45, so I feel like it's not overly widespread. As @rocketdogbert said it seems more like a QC issue than an outcome of the design of it, but any advice is appreciated. 

it sucks you seem to be one of the unlucky few. had my hk out at the weekend wasn't much above 5 degrees still emptied a mag and locked back. i suggest take the replacement 

12 hours ago, CombatVVombat said:

I've got a replacement on the way (not the one that they checked originally), but I've been told there's no guarantee that it'll be any better. It's been 'serviced and lubed', so I'll report back when it arrives. 

have they not tested it. 

They hadn't mentioned testing it @BigStew. It turns out they've sent the same one back (I was told they'd grabbed another off the shelf so it may just be luck that they grabbed my original one), but it seems to be working a bit better now that it's been stripped and lubed. It also seems to be working better when the magazines are colder compared to the temperature in my house. 

I'm not really sure on what's best to do. Inserting the mag with relative force still causes the slide to release, but I'll have to check to see how the slide lock works when the mag is empty tomorrow. I'm not sure if this is an issue you have @heroshark? I was under the impression it was going to be a new pistol, so I feel a little short changed as obviously stripping and living up the gun is less likely to fix the issues compared to a replacement. Feeling a little short changed at the moment, though!

Never had that. That said one of my old capas did it when the slide stop wore and I kinda liked it as a function. Not to say that's what's going on in your 45 as the way it functions is a lot more robust than the 1911 base pistols. Possible slight fouling of parts or debris. 

Thanks :) We had agreed that they'd send out a replacement pistol which had been lubed, but they've just sent my original one back and it's still suffering from the same issues, so I'm not hopeful that if I send it back again they're going to do anything different.  I've asked for a full refund, for the mags and the pistol, and I'll look at going down a different route I think. Cheers for all the help chaps, I appreciate it. 

5 hours ago, CombatVVombat said:

Thanks :) We had agreed that they'd send out a replacement pistol which had been lubed, but they've just sent my original one back and it's still suffering from the same issues, so I'm not hopeful that if I send it back again they're going to do anything different.  I've asked for a full refund, for the mags and the pistol, and I'll look at going down a different route I think. Cheers for all the help chaps, I appreciate it. 

you have to let us know the dodgy retailer dude

20 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

you have to let us know the dodgy retailer dude

It's Patrol Base.

I was told that getting sent my original one back wasnt intentional, and that all of their stock have been taken apart and lubed, and that they're all performing the same. So that's concerning if you're going to be paying £140 for a new pistol, as you may be receiving one that's already been tested and returned. 

They've confirmed that I'll be getting a refund on the pistol and the magazines, so that's good news, and I appreciate them doing that. I'll update this thread again with the final outcome, and probably stick a summary in the review section too just to make people aware. 

Archived