Looking for airsoft/MILSIM players to play soldiers in a student film (London, UK)

LeemaCZ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone,

my name is Leema and I am a Film student at Middlesex University in London. We are adapting a script and the story would be set in a contemporary/near-future WWIII setting and I am looking for airsoft/MILSIM players with own gear willing to act/be extras in our film.

We are planning to shoot on multiple days during March 2020 (mostly 2nd half), hopefully in London.
I'd love to have at least 4 soldiers, wearing identical uniforms (either accurate or similar to the British Army or full black/grey). But the more, the better. (Planning to do more scenes involving soldiers). Preferably 18+, anyone under 18 would have to wear balaclavas to cover their faces as we're trying to make this authentic. No usage of ammo required.

As of payment, I can't promise anything at the moment as we're still planning our crowdfunding campaign. But we would at least cover the travel expenses, food and drinks.

If interested, please reply here or email me at: [email protected]

Hope this does not violate any forum rules.
Thank you,

Leema (Director of the film)

Additional info about the production:
The film is supposed to be 8-10 minutes long, the war aspect is not the main focus of the film as it focuses more on the civilian characters and on the history repeating itself. But the soldiers would make the film look better and definitely more believable.

It's a story about a Middle Eastern boy who is hiding from the government because they see him as a possible threat and the enemy. The story deals with doing the right thing, redemption, prejudice and the good and the bad in people, especially in times of war.
The original script was about a Jewish boy hiding from the Nazis but we wanted to change the setting.

Have you secured permission from the local police for Realistic imitation firearms to be wielded in public? It's pretty difficult to get that from whati have heard. 

9 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Have you secured permission from the local police for Realistic imitation firearms to be wielded in public? It's pretty difficult to get that from whati have heard. 

Working on that. We're still focusing on pre-production and the start of the crowdfunding campaign now. But I've just filled out a form for Police Film Unit a bit ago.

Sounds interesting. I would be up for a bit of filming.

You will need to decide on the overall look you are going for so anyone interested could see if they have the right kit. Also what weapon are you looking for as there is a huge array of styles owned by the guys in this forum. I have Gas Blowback M4's that are very realistic when they fire (Recoil, moving bolt etc) but this may not be what you are looking for if you are going for an authentic British Army look.

• Supporters

Reality is that beggars can't be choosers and they'll get what they get.

For anyone thinking of doing this, just be aware that you'll spend most of the day waiting around.  Bring a folding chair and something to do.

• Head Moderator
19 hours ago, LeemaCZ said:

It's a story about a Middle Eastern boy who is hiding from the government because they see him as a possible threat and the enemy. The story deals with doing the right thing, redemption, prejudice and the good and the bad in people, especially in times of war.

The original script was about a Jewish boy hiding from the Nazis but we wanted to change the setting.

I would caution those volunteers that that you would be potentially portraying the British Army as fascists (or eqivilent of Nazis), and that is something I would not be comfortable with. A film portraying prejudice with predjudice; makes me think of left-wing propaganda.

• Supporters

I wouldn't go within a mile of this, lost count of the "Scorsese wannabe" students who have posted on numerous forums wanting to use Airsoft guns & players for their "filims", & pretty much every one has wanted to cut corners & ignore legislation, an obvious recipe for disaster.

• Supporters

Eh.  It's a reasonable enough request, and not over-promising.  I get the reservations about the politics, but 1) it's fiction and 2) we play dress up.

And it is interesting to see the grind required to produce 8 minutes of magic.  Once. ;)

3 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

Reality is that beggars can't be choosers and they'll get what they get.

For anyone thinking of doing this, just be aware that you'll spend most of the day waiting around.  Bring a folding chair and something to do.

That's not the case because we would use these guys only the days we would need them. Of course there would be some time needed for set up but we're not trying to waste anyone's time. On the other hand, you're actually right - that's how film making usually is. I occasionally work as an extra on actual big budget productions and man, how many hours I've spent there just sitting and waiting.

5 hours ago, RobHedley said:

Advanced issues found

🤝

🤝

Sounds interesting. I would be up for a bit of filming.

You will need to decide on the overall look you are going for so anyone interested could see if they have the right kit. Also what weapon are you looking for as there is a huge array of styles owned by the guys in this forum. I have Gas Blowback M4's that are very realistic when they fire (Recoil, moving bolt etc) but this may not be what you are looking for if you are going for an authentic British Army look.

That'd be great! I'll message you about the details later.

3 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

I would caution those volunteers that that you would be potentially portraying the British Army as fascists (or eqivilent of Nazis), and that is something I would not be comfortable with. A film with portraying prejudice with predjudice; makes me think of left-wing propaganda.

The film should be more of a lesson or a warning. Just think of it as an alternate future that does not (hopefully happen). If you've seen films like Children of Men or read books like 1984, Fahrenheit then you know what dystopia is about. It's not supposed to reflect current British government, politics nor army. But I am really careful about writing the script so I don't offend anyone. That's why I said Middle Eastern boy in the first place, instead of saying specific country.

1 hour ago, hitmanNo2 said:

Yup.  Definitely red flags from that description.

Also, hasn't OP posted this before?  I seem to recall a similar thread with the same/similar name.

I haven't posted this before. Not on this forum. I've actually joined this forum yesterday.

1 hour ago, Tackle said:

I wouldn't go within a mile of this, lost count of the "Scorsese wannabe" students who have posted on numerous forums wanting to use Airsoft guns & players for their "filims", & pretty much every one has wanted to cut corners & ignore legislation, an obvious recipe for disaster.

I am not trying to ignore the legislation, I've filled out the form for the MetFilm Police and as we find the location, I'll also contact the local borough film office.

But overall I do get all of your concerns and feelings about it.

I agree it's a really sensitive topic and theme but as Rogerborg mentioned, it's fiction. And I am definitely not the first nor the last person to do that type of fiction.

But even though the film will deal with really serious issues, I wanted to make the soldiers part just fun and nice experience (and I would learn more in terms of shooting war-style films). I did not mean that part to be this serious. I am sorry some of you see it this way.

After all, running around with guns and role-playing is what we love to do, isn't it?

• Supporters

It's nothing person, we get these approaches from time to time, but most of them seem to fizzle out. Destroy our cynicism with positivity. ;) 

Something you could try is approaching https://www.bunker-51.com/ in Greenwich to see if they'll put up a poster or some leaflets, and/or try their Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/Bunker51/

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
16 minutes ago, LeemaCZ said:

I am not trying to ignore the legislation, I've filled out the form for the MetFilm Police and as we find the location, I'll also contact the local borough film office.

A couple of my mates work in the film industry and the amount of red tape in order to have RIFs - in public - is insane, and especially considering tensions/etc. in London considering all the attacks, I'd strongly recommend you plan *now* to simply not have weaponry or maybe even uniforms in the public eye at all - i.e. restrict that stuff to indoors, away from prominent windows etc.

2 hours ago, LeemaCZ said:

I haven't posted this before. Not on this forum. I've actually joined this forum yesterday.

Apologies.  There was a similar thread a few months ago.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

A couple of my mates work in the film industry and the amount of red tape in order to have RIFs - in public - is insane, and especially considering tensions/etc. in London considering all the attacks, I'd strongly recommend you plan *now* to simply not have weaponry or maybe even uniforms in the public eye at all - i.e. restrict that stuff to indoors, away from prominent windows etc.

Easier than having to employ an armourer though!

• Supporters
7 hours ago, LeemaCZ said:

That's not the case because we would use these guys only the days we would need them. Of course there would be some time needed for set up but we're not trying to waste anyone's time. On the other hand, you're actually right - that's how film making usually is. I occasionally work as an extra on actual big budget productions and man, how many hours I've spent there just sitting and waiting.

That'd be great! I'll message you about the details later.

The film should be more of a lesson or a warning. Just think of it as an alternate future that does not (hopefully happen). If you've seen films like Children of Men or read books like 1984, Fahrenheit then you know what dystopia is about. It's not supposed to reflect current British government, politics nor army. But I am really careful about writing the script so I don't offend anyone. That's why I said Middle Eastern boy in the first place, instead of saying specific country.

But overall I do get all of your concerns and feelings about it.

I agree it's a really sensitive topic and theme but as Rogerborg mentioned, it's fiction. And I am definitely not the first nor the last person to do that type of fiction.

But even though the film will deal with really serious issues, I wanted to make the soldiers part just fun and nice experience (and I would learn more in terms of shooting war-style films). I did not mean that part to be this serious. I am sorry some of you see it this way.

After all, running around with guns and role-playing is what we love to do, isn't it?

Mate, I'm sure at the time of starting this thread your intentions were 100% to what you've described, but as has been pointed out, the red tape alone for this kinda project is massive, & likely to be a very long-winded timeframe with no guarantee of permission at the end if it, especially given the current political climate.

Then there's the costs, likely to be considerable, even prior to getting permission, so you could end up losing out financially with nothing to show for it.

In your position I'd be more inclined to approach a suitable Airsoft site as a location, after all they have no issues regarding people running around with guns ?.

• Supporters

You only learn by trying, and it is possible to film on a shoestring with willing assistance.  Most directors get started that way.

Would Bunker51 be a suitable site?  Might solve a couple of problems at once.

worked on several big productions and read a bit of the firearms legislation. afaik you cant have airsofters tuen up with their own weapons its more you must have an armoury and armourer to secure and make sure noting happens with the replicas and such. and locals have to be warned and screening from general public. however a note was raised there that could be worthwhile... get an airsoft site on board, film it there and see if you can give them publicity or some such probably have to fire cash their way but likely works cheaper than an alternative.

as for camo, might be worth taking a more generic could be anywhere scheme, all black or such... then it can be any military any country any era and no blame... 

To echo the above there are a fair amount of CQB sites that would probably allow you to do something in return for advertising or a fee. I know one CQB site that has film/tv productions done there but would have no idea on cost if the option was only to rent for the day, I would assume a nominal fee which would cover the use of the site had it been open for a game + rent etc covered.

• Supporters

As it happens, the Met have produced guidelines for filming with firearms, including airsoft, which I'm sure the OP is following:

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/f/af/filming/guidelines-for-filming/

I agree that it's a very good idea to comply with their guidelines, but I do take issue with their use of the word "must", which implies a legal obligation.  On recent evidence, if you try and do it on the sly, you're most likely to receive some very grumpy Words of Advice, and be in the market for some new underwear. https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/police-detain-london-screen-academy-students-at-gunpoint-1-6359423

Again for emphasis: I am not recommending that anyone take part in public filming unless the director can show that they've squared it with the feds.

On 28/01/2020 at 10:27, Jedi_Master said:

I would caution those volunteers that that you would be potentially portraying the British Army as fascists (or eqivilent of Nazis), and that is something I would not be comfortable with. A film portraying prejudice with predjudice; makes me think of left-wing propaganda.

yep had the same thought 

Advanced issue found

🖋
10 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

As it happens, the Met have produced guidelines for filming with firearms, including airsoft, which I'm sure the OP is following:

https://www.met.police.uk/advice/advice-and-information/f/af/filming/guidelines-for-filming/

I agree that it's a very good idea to comply with their guidelines, but I do take issue with their use of the word "must", which implies a legal obligation.  On recent evidence, if you try and do it on the sly, you're most likely to receive some very grumpy Words of Advice, and be in the market for some new underwear. https://www.islingtongazette.co.uk/news/police-detain-london-screen-academy-students-at-gunpoint-1-6359423

Again for emphasis: I am not recommending that anyone take part in public filming unless the director can show that they've squared it with the feds.

yeah, I am aware of that group of students, there was quite a fuzz about it - but as I said - I am intending to inform the authorities and discuss it with them (local borough film offices and Met Police Film Unit)

as for the sites - thank you for your recommendations but we're not intending to shoot at an airsoft site - the main story resolves around a boy hiding in a house - so we're looking for a house (preferrably with basement or an attic) - the soldiers would come in at the end and try to grab him - I might try to shoot an addition scene for the "News footage" where the soldiers would fight (at an airsoft site) - but not sure about that yet - as far as I know - Bunker51 is an indoor site right? are there any outdoor (forests, fields, hills or fake cities) sides in or near London?

But as for the British government and army, you guys do have a point. I am rewriting the story now in a way that it does not say a specific country it takes place in. As for the military, it was a fictional branch/unit from the start.

I am gonna go for a "Beasts of No Nation" approach (if you've seen the film, it takes place in an unnamed fictional African country with fictional factions).

1 hour ago, LeemaCZ said:

.....are there any outdoor (forests, fields, hills or fake cities) sides in or near London?

Quite a few, for example Campaign at Cobham off the M25

They have had film and TV work on their site for many years, it was the venue for Mission Paintball back in the day, and we were there for a day providing equipment for movie myth sequences in “How to survive a disaster movie” 

I was able to make it on screen for a segment outside the original building used in Mission Paintball

3 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Quite a few, for example Campaign at Cobham off the M25

They have had film and TV work on their site for many years, it was the venue for Mission Paintball back in the day, and we were there for a day providing equipment for movie myth sequences in “How to survive a disaster movie” 

I was able to make it on screen for a segment outside the original building used in Mission Paintball

Thank you! I will definitely think about that one.

But in case it works out, would they be ok with airsoft guys running around instead of paintballers?

Archived