Any Problems you guys experience?

Michael K

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys,

I am doing a project for school and I am trying to “Design a physical solution that overcomes a specific problem for a group of users”

My group of users is you guys and I want to find out what specific problems you guys experience for airsofting. It can be anything like packing for scrims, problems while playing, etc...

I will post the result of the design after :)

I'd say the biggest problem we have is non hit taking.

If you can solve it you'll be a millionaire 🤩

I've wondered about combining airsoft with low power laser/IR hit detection like military use but because the trajectory of BB's is so crap they wouldn't correlate.

22 minutes ago, EDcase said:

I've wondered about combining airsoft with low power laser/IR hit detection like military use but because the trajectory of BB's is so crap they wouldn't correlate.

I can definitely agree with you on that one :) It happens in my site sometimes because the try-out people wear full body suits 

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

Something that comes to mind is a gucci lense shield for optics - maybe one that you could design to clip onto the front of an EoTech or similar?

6 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Something that comes to mind is a gucci lense shield for optics - maybe one that you could design to clip onto the front of an EoTech or similar?

Like Gucci or good 😂

• Supporters

there are a lot of problems with different aspects of airsoft, although if you're talking about a school project i suspect you probably don't want to tackle most of them.

one that might be a good idea would be to perhaps look at trying to make an energy only based chronograph, something that doesn't rely on knowing what bb weight is being used that just reports the energy of the shot fired. the best method for chronographing in airsoft is a source of great debate in terms of the best method to do it (ie eliminating liars versus eliminating joule creep)

• Supporters
40 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

one that might be a good idea would be to perhaps look at trying to make an energy only based chronograph, something that doesn't rely on knowing what bb weight is being used that just reports the energy of the shot fired. the best method for chronographing in airsoft is a source of great debate in terms of the best method to do it (ie eliminating liars versus eliminating joule creep)

The problem there is that kinetic energy is a function of mass so you need to know the BB weight to get to it. There is no surefire way to eliminate cheats and liars without the site issuing all the BBs to be used!

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Lozart said:

The problem there is that kinetic energy is a function of mass so you need to know the BB weight to get to it. There is no surefire way to eliminate cheats and liars without the site issuing all the BBs to be used!

Not really, after all the limit is in energy, if the detector registers energy theres no way round it.

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Not really, after all the limit is in energy, if the detector registers energy theres no way round it.

But that's the trick, Kinetic energy has to be calculated because you can't measure it directly. KE=mv2/2 where m=mass and v=velocity.

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Lozart said:

But that's the trick, Kinetic energy has to be calculated because you can't measure it directly. KE=mv2/2 where m=mass and v=velocity.

I was thinking specifically of a ballistic pendulum type idea, for a non-captured system you're replacing the unknown mass of the bb with the known mass of the pendulum.

Of course how precise it would be i dont know, hence why it would make a good project.

• Supporters
29 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

I was thinking specifically of a ballistic pendulum type idea, for a non-captured system you're replacing the unknown mass of the bb with the known mass of the pendulum.

Of course how precise it would be i dont know, hence why it would make a good project.

So measuring the amplitude and rate of the deflection of the pendulum? How would you account for losses like not striking the pendulum squarely or the heat produced in the impact?

3 hours ago, EDcase said:

Almost like the little balls we fire should be filled with some kind of marking substance and on impact they explode leaving said filling all over the person who was shot? Does that sound marginally familiar to you yet its a word non of us dare speak? 😁

@Michael K I'm guessing this project is something really bottom end and something from a D&T class? Maybe make a tabletop/foldable RIF holder? We all dislike sharing table space with others and I hate lying my RIF on it's side with a passion.

Also doubles as a display holder. Make it fold so it can be transported and you'll succeed.

9 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Almost like the little balls we fire should be filled with some kind of marking substance and on impact they explode leaving said filling all over the person who was shot? Does that sound marginally familiar to you yet it a word non of us dare speak? 😁

OMG he's cracked it!!!!!!!!!!

So why aren't we using that...? 😉

As far as measuring energy...

What about firing at a piezoelectric  sensor?

8 minutes ago, Steveocee said:

Almost like the little balls we fire should be filled with some kind of marking substance and on impact they explode leaving said filling all over the person who was shot? Does that sound marginally familiar to you yet its a word non of us dare speak? 😁

@Michael K I'm guessing this project is something really bottom end and something from a D&T class? Maybe make a tabletop/foldable RIF holder? We all dislike sharing table space with others and I hate lying my RIF on it's side with a passion.

Also doubles as a display holder. Make it fold so it can be transported and you'll succeed.

Yeah I think this might be the go to option not going to lie. But After I finish this project, I will start designing other ones the people have suggested. I really thank everyone foe helping me out. 

(Not a DT project but a design task for my uni :O)

1 minute ago, EDcase said:

OMG he's cracked it!!!!!!!!!!

So why aren't we using that...? 😉

Isnt that basically paintball xD

4 minutes ago, Michael K said:

Isnt that basically paintball xD

Hehehe yep

Though we like our pew pews to look more realistic and the ammo to cost a lot less.

But would still be good to have a hit confirmation somehow

1 minute ago, EDcase said:

Hehehe yep

Though we like our pew pews to look more realistic and the ammo to cost a lot less.

But would still be good to have a hit confirmation somehow

I think like a sensor on your clothing with you can attach might be good

something which hits you at a velocity of 200fps minimum could trigger a red light which tells you that you are out?

2 minutes ago, Michael K said:

I think like a sensor on your clothing with you can attach might be good

something which hits you at a velocity of 200fps minimum could trigger a red light which tells you that you are out?

Yes, an acoustic sensor has been experimented with but not successful.

The BB leaves the barrel at high speed but by the time it gets to the target its usually lost a lot of energy so the hit could be tiny.

2 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Yes, an acoustic sensor has been experimented with but not successful.

The BB leaves the barrel at high speed but by the time it gets to the target its usually lost a lot of energy so the hit could be tiny.

I reckon it might be easier if the person had a lie detector on themselves and whenever they ddon't call hit in 3-5 seconds they get zapped 😂

You need to develop a grip, that can detect if the user is a bellend. 

For regular people, it should work normally. 

For anyone thinking bellendy thoughts, it should simultaneously divert the battery power through capacitors and deliver a jolt to the user while a hidden speaker tells the would be bellend to sort their life out. 

Then you need it to be on every gun like a safety or a cal 6mm marking. 

Hey presto, loadsa money and eliminating bellends from the hobby. 

1 minute ago, Cromulon1994 said:

You need to develop a grip, that can detect if the user is a bellend. 

For regular people, it should work normally. 

For anyone thinking bellendy thoughts, it should simultaneously divert the battery power through capacitors and deliver a jolt to the user while a hidden speaker tells the would be bellend to sort their life out. 

Then you need it to be on every gun like a safety or a cal 6mm marking. 

Hey presto, loadsa money and eliminating bellends from the hobby. 

😂😂😂 That would be pretty insane to be honest and it aint a bad idea but what if you get hit by ricochets and the next thing you know your AEG is calling you a bellend 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Lozart said:

So measuring the amplitude and rate of the deflection of the pendulum? How would you account for losses like not striking the pendulum squarely or the heat produced in the impact?

Yeah, losses are part of the question, hence the idea that it would be a good project to measure and see if its possible to get a sufficiently accurate reading to use for our needs.

It could be a double sided approach- fire through a conventional chrono into the pendulum and if someone's lying about their ammo weight the pendulum would be good enough to spot the mis-match.

39 minutes ago, Michael K said:

😂😂😂 That would be pretty insane to be honest and it aint a bad idea but what if you get hit by ricochets and the next thing you know your AEG is calling you a bellend 

They'd just be teething problems. 

I think your biggest problem is choosing the voice. 

"sort your fucking life out" 

It's got to be either Vinnie Jones or the chap who played brick top who's name escapes me. 

Alan Ford. That's him. 

4 hours ago, Steveocee said:

I’m supposed to the the one who suggests frangible BBs containing some form of marking gel substance to resolve the bouncing BB cheating argument 

I like the suggestions of a solution to measuring energy as opposed to velocity, or the need to select a BB weight for the chronograph which will then convert velocity to give you an energy reading.

The legal requirement is based on the energy as it leaves the barrel.

Thus we measure at the muzzle velocity and either have a FPS limit based on the assumed balls mass, or set the weight and  go for the energy level.

A ‘pendulum’ has the issue that you are measuring the impact energy at a given distance from the barrel, so if the impact is at the legal limit, then you still have an excessive energy level at the point of the barrel.

• Supporters

OK, you don't seem like a banger, so I'm going to throw you an easy A to the actual assignment.

Problem: fogging of goggles and glasses. Skiers and snowboarders have the same issue.  It happens when you're stationary after activity, particularly in the cold.

Physical solution: an external air blowing unit.

Spoiler: it already exists, but chances are you'll get away with claiming ignorance.  Just 'design' something a little bit different to this https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/exfog-antifog-system-t-band

Right, back to the fun.

21 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

OK, you don't seem like a banger, so I'm going to throw you an easy A to the actual assignment.

Problem: fogging of goggles and glasses. Skiers and snowboarders have the same issue.  It happens when you're stationary after activity, particularly in the cold.

Physical solution: an external air blowing unit.

Spoiler: it already exists, but chances are you'll get away with claiming ignorance.  Just 'design' something a little bit different to this https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/exfog-antifog-system-t-band

Right, back to the fun.

Thank you for your suggestion! I also have problems wearing goggles because I also wear glasses they get really foggy and it annoys me sooooooo much. I have to wear contacts :( 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.