Beginners/Cheap "Dare to be Different" gear Thread.

Asomodai
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all. 

I have been toying with the idea of starting up a thread about cheap or beginners gear that is a little bit different from your average M4/AK/G36, but is either good performing or got plenty of potential for upgrades. I encourage anyone to join in on this, but I will be updating every so often. Being the oddball Aficionado i'd like to think that I have tried out most cheap gear so you don't have to!   

First up is....

foto_1408_4.thumb.jpg.8031bf25f90748188125e0e5ce6b2aa6.jpg

Umarex/S&T/Elite Force/Dboys ARX160 Sportline. You can purchase these for around 99-120 Euros from some of the San Marino based sites. You can get these in the full Carbine Length or the Pistol Variant. There is also a Proline version which has Blowback, better externals and slightly better internals. 

I lovingly call mine "My Gucci Scar"

This is genuinely one of my favourite guns. Its very lightweight, comes with a very good tightly packaged Quick change spring gearbox. The hop unit whilst very basic is absolutely fantastic accuracy wise. The thing that gets me is how quiet it is. Its one of the quietest stock AEG's I have come across. High torque motor, Bolt release, Microswitch trigger as stock, fair amount of battery space (1600mah brick style Lipo should just about fit). Plus there are upgrades available direct from the Italian shops. It is very easy to work on, taking 5 seconds to release the barrel mechanism and gain full access to the hop unit and inner barrel. It takes roughly 1 minute to gain access to the V3 Gearbox. 

There are four rails available for your gubbinz. 

It takes M4 mags (Preferably standard featureless M4 ones)

Mine has been fully upgraded, as I love it so much! It has a nice ROF and range is brilliant. I am seriously considering getting another as a backup. 

The only thing I would criticise is that the externals are quite cheap feeling. 

So if you are a new player, and want something a bit different looking then I would recommend having a gander at these. Italian Vegatato Camo is pretty awesome as well ;)

Pros:

Great Overall Performance.

Takes M4 Mags

Quick Change Gearbox

Easy Dissasembly

Tactical Rails

Lightweight

Great Air Seal

Cons:

ABS Externals

A good harness system is needed as you cant attach standard straps. Its similar to the L85 style. 

Poor Iron Sights. 

To get a good price you need to buy from Italian stores. (Never had a problem though)

Places to buy this from. 

https://www.softairgames.net/en/178-arx-l85

https://www.target-softair.com/cat0_296_11882-serie-arx.php

https://www.ilsemaforo-softair.com/search.aspx?q=arx&sort=order_price_desc&dis=0

I recommend SoftAirGames personally. 

I will be adding more stuff to the thread soon! 

• Supporters

Great thread idea mate, yep vegetato is awesome, only possible improvement on the thread content would be links to the kit & the shops themselves ?, especially as most of don't even know where San Marino is lol 🤔

6 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Great thread idea mate, yep vegetato is awesome, only possible improvement on the thread content would be links to the kit & the shops themselves ?, especially as most of don't even know where San Marino is lol 🤔

Thanks, Agreed and done! :)

• Supporters

interesting idea for a thread.

i started out by jumping in at the deep end and grabbing a g&g f2000, which might not have been the most sensible decision but hey i love the looks.

of course i can understand why the m4 is such a popular platform- tons of parts available, good ergonomics and configurable to pretty much whatever you want.

i'd also suggest the same for pistols- why are there so many glocks? it's like the volkswagen golf of pistols, it might be good but seeing as you aren't really betting your life on it might as well have something a bit more fun.

5 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i'd also suggest the same for pistols- why are there so many glocks? it's like the volkswagen golf of pistols, it might be good but seeing as you aren't really betting your life on it might as well have something a bit more fun.

Not sure why glock is so popular when the hi-capa is superior performance wise. It would make sense if seal team six used it or something but just seems so popular with no direct reason why.

To keep thread on topic a Ruger mk 1 or 2 is a pretty good niche and cheap pistol. I think they might run hot for 350 limit sites?

https://wolfarmouries.co.uk/asg-mkii-black-co2-nbb-pistol.html

https://wolfarmouries.co.uk/asg-mkii-dual-tone-co2-nbb-pistol.html

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/asg-mk1-pistol

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/asg-mk1-gas-airsoftpistol-gnb-hop-up

https://extremeairsoft.co.uk/shop/pistols/gas-pistols/kj-works-ruger-mk1-green-gas-non-blowback-airsoft-pistol/

• Supporters
8 hours ago, Musica said:

Not sure why glock is so popular when the hi-capa is superior performance wise. It would make sense if seal team six used it or something but just seems so popular with no direct reason why.

see this is the thing, don't get me wrong if i was actually having to bet my life on it then yes i'd take the boring austrian reliabox but given this is airsoft might as well be a bit more creative.

what i really don't get is the glock collectors, you know, the ones who have a 17, 18, 19 and want a 34 because i guess it's different somehow? to me it's all just glocks in different sizes. suppose it's the same as folk who have a massive collection of only m4 variants.

Half the reason I got my Aug was to be a little bit different, so this thread has gone right up my flagpole 👍

Be keeping an eye on this for interesting ideas!

9 hours ago, Musica said:

To keep thread on topic a Ruger mk 1 or 2 is a pretty good niche and cheap pistol. I think they might run hot for 350 limit sites?

https://wolfarmouries.co.uk/asg-mkii-black-co2-nbb-pistol.html

https://wolfarmouries.co.uk/asg-mkii-dual-tone-co2-nbb-pistol.html

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/asg-mk1-pistol

https://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/asg-mk1-gas-airsoftpistol-gnb-hop-up

https://extremeairsoft.co.uk/shop/pistols/gas-pistols/kj-works-ruger-mk1-green-gas-non-blowback-airsoft-pistol/

Yes they run hot, though the mk1 was very easy to bring under by fiddling with the hammer spring. The bonus is you get a much lighter trigger pull. 

ASP/CYMA SVU - You can pick these up in the sales for around £170

webshopashura_cm057ctn.thumb.jpg.98619570aa78fb60c940454396fa101e.jpgasp-ots-03-svu-bullpup-sniper-rifle-aeg-with-bipod-black-1.thumb.jpg.78320da60c4c105e74d9698ecc68418f.jpg

This can be used as a very good base for a cheap and different beginner DMR

It is essentially a direct copy internally of the Real Sword SVD. 

It includes a Torque Neo Motor, Very long brass inner barrel, Full metal Gearbox, Most of the externals are metal though quite thin in places, Very good hop unit design. It certainly looks the part and it comes with full auto if you desire using it as an AR. There are now two versions, the classic Bipod DMR style and the new Tan and/or black Mlok railed one sans Bipod. It's not the hardest to open up and tech either despite it looking rather complicated. The Range is pretty good out of the box despite the extra long inner barrel. The ROF is very very low though due to the 4 gear/High torque motor setup. 

I DMR'ed mine and replaced the original motor with a balanced torque motor, Basic Mosfet, Shorter inner barrel (The original is too long to hop heavy ammo easily) a Combat Union SVD Hop unit and a Combat Union SVD Air Nozzle. You can easily drop in a full Read Sword SVD gearbox with no issues being a direct copy. You can remove the long silencer to reveal a standard 14mm CCW thread for use with a silencer. The Battery compartment is fairly large and will take sticks and bayonet styles. It looks heavy but its actually of a medium weight. 

Pros:

Looks the business.

Can be used as a DMR under Milsim rules. 

Fairly easy to take apart

You can upgrade almost all the parts

Turns heads as its fairly unique. 

Remove a gear from the gearbox and you have single shot only for DMR conversion, simple. 

Cons: 

No rear Harness point so you'll need to feed one underneath the cheek rest. 

The Side Rail on the standard Bipod SVU is known for being quite weak and can snap if abused. 

4 gear gearbox means that you cant really change the gear ratios so you are stuck with balanced motors for best performance. 

The pistol Grip is close to the mags, I am fine with this but it can bother others. 

Low ROF if you want to use it as a AR

All in all, it is my favorite of my three DMR's. Its unique and quite balanced to hold. I don't run mine with a harness for a whole day with no issues. 

https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric-4/cm-057svu-cyma?from=listing&campaign-id=14&q=svu

liking this thread as a cheapo hos first gun was a king armys Chicago tommy that i got for £100. then again i dont like all the guns i have so will be watching,,, 

By all means please, anyone who can review other rifles and/or gear that would be great! I dont have a huge amount I can work with myself :)

Don't bother with Il Semaforo, a couple of friends for scammed hard by that store (used JG g3 instead of the new TM one ordered by him) @Asomodai. SoftairGames is fine though.

Anyway.

Not a gun, but the SAAV vest.

Cheaper than dirt, available in literally every camo pattern known to mankind, HUUUUUUUGE amount of space, carries something like 18 M4 mags.

10 minutes ago, Skara said:

Don't bother with Il Semaforo, a couple of friends for scammed hard by that store (used JG g3 instead of the new TM one ordered by him) @Asomodai. SoftairGames is fine though.

Anyway.

Not a gun, but the SAAV vest.

Cheaper than dirt, available in literally every camo pattern known to mankind, HUUUUUUUGE amount of space, carries something like 18 M4 mags.

I ordered my second SRC XM8 from Il Semaforo with no issues. But noted for the future ;)

JG SL8/SL9 - Can be had for around £150 shipped from the EU £200+ in the UK. 

golden-eagle-electric-rifle-g36-sl9-version6689.jpg.78c879513330b6deaa7b8a2f5feaeb08.jpg

Continuing from the theme of DMR styled RIFs. The JG SL8/SL9 is essentially a US G36 made for Civilian use to get around the AR sales laws. It features a thumbhole stock and integrated pistol grip. 

These can be found in a variety of configurations, scope rail, standard length picatinny, full length rail (Rare in the EU) and Bipod or Railed handguards. This is a very long RIF with a 509mm length brass barrel, made from reasonably good quality JG Nylon fibre reinforced plastic. There is no real different between this and the standard JG G36's apart from the externals. Anything internal that will fit a JG/TM G36 will fit in here. Due to the hollow but relatively short stock it can be somewhat front end heavy, but the bipod can be used to decent effect. There is a fair amount of battery space in the front handguard, though like many G36's can be awkward to close up correctly. It has typical bomb proof JG G36 build quality, though if you want to use as a DMR I would recommend a barrel, hop unit and bucking change. It comes with full auto as standard so you'll need to make sure to disable that. 

I would recommend the railed non scope version as I find the built in scope to be fairly poor at range. 

As an example build, this is what I did to mine. Airsoft Pro G36 Hop unit, Prometheus 509mm tightbore barrel, Prommy purple rubber, SLD 22TPA high Torque motor, 13/1 SLD Advanced gears, SHS one piece cylinder, SHS metal tooth piston, SHS flat aluminium piston head, SHS V3 spring guide, Airsoft Pro Aluminium air nozzle and a basic Acetech mosfet. 

Its a pretty unique gun to see on the field despite it's upgrade ability. Most Milsims would allow its use as a DMR despite not being used by the military in real life. 

Pros: 

Cheap entry to a DMR build

Lots of upgrades available. 

Certainly eyecatching

Externals can be swapped. 

Fairly easy to take apart and tech. 

Cons: 

Getting harder to get for cheap, low stock. 

Front heavy

Full length Picatinny rail needs shimming to accept cheap scopes

The Low caps do not hold enough rounds, yet standard G36 mags look a little odd on the rifle. 

https://www.softairgames.net/en/g36-g33/3459-electric-airsoft-gun-g36-sl9-sniper-tactical-force-jing-gong-6689.html

I've been looking at those, on-and-off, for months. What always puts me off is the built-in scope and the fixed bipod. When I'm all UKARA'd up and have got my eye in, as it were, I really fancy getting a good DMR, y'see. I know my Aug A2 could be turned into one, too...

4 minutes ago, Ashy said:

I've been looking at those, on-and-off, for months. What always puts me off is the built-in scope and the fixed bipod. When I'm all UKARA'd up and have got my eye in, as it were, I really fancy getting a good DMR, y'see. I know my Aug A2 could be turned into one, too...

You'll be after the G608-SL8-6 then. That's the railed handguard, standard scope rail model. Model number is 2238 for that one. 

You'll need to find someone to order it in as they are fairly hard to find. 

Patrolbase have got 'em in for £200.

If they've still got 'em in when I've actually GOT £200, I'm all over that like flies on shit.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Ashy said:

Patrolbase have got 'em in for £200.

If they've still got 'em in when I've actually GOT £200, I'm all over that like flies on shit.

Isn't there one in the classifieds here for £150 with a pile of mags, might be worth an offer ? 🤔

4 hours ago, #blackadder said:

This is a review thread. I would start another if you want opinions to gain more exposure to people who may have one. 

From whsti understand you cant get upgraded hop units and motor replacement is limited because of the medium shaft. Plastics also poor ABS. 

@Asomodai Cheers for the upgrade shopping list, currently considering an G36 based DMR build myself but based around the JG G608-7 instead (leaving my other G36 as the beast it currently is).  It'll be a nice looking, cheap DMR - unless I decide to go mad and fit a Gate Titan!

Sorry to thread hijack but just had to say that!

Archived