Question to L1A1 SLR owners

Sharpe_95
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi guys,

So I have recently bought myself the Ares SLR. Trouble is I dont know what mag pouches to buy to hold the mags. 

I am looking for molle compatible mag pouches, ideally with either a velcro strap over the top, ideally able to hold 2 mags per pouch.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what will fit?

I have heard M14 mags are very similar so I was looking at this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Condor-Gen-191089-001-Double-M14-Mag-Pouch/dp/B0106CHLX0/ref=gwm_tlc_pi?pf_rd_s=grid-21&pf_rd_t=Gateway&pf_rd_i=mobile&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pd_rd_wg=g9Bst&pd_rd_r=PRNJ80X9TQ1YVXKE1BNY&pd_rd_w=NCLnA&pf_rd_r=PRNJ80X9TQ1YVXKE1BNY&pf_rd_p=bf348014-b2a4-401f-b975-75218cf9ce8d&pd_rd_i=B0106CHLX0

Anyone tried this or got better ideas?

Many thanks,

-Sharpe

Oh no. You need the full 58 webbing kit and 68 pattern DPM if you are running an SLR, anything else is blasphemy 😅 

In all seriousness though, 58 webbing is really cheep to get a full set of and is actually what the SLR mag was designed for so its not a bad option. I use my 58 webbing for allot of airsoft kits, as i prefer webbing sets to tactical vests and molle personally.

large_000000.jpg

article-2128733-12926C20000005DC-883_634x450.jpg

• Supporters

Personally I wouldn't bother, yep it's historically correct, but it's heavy (& heavier when wet), poorly fitting & fiddly in use.

Sure, go with dpm & a suitable OD rig suited for 7.62 mags, personally I'd recommend a bulle mle rig with 7.62 shingles, even fully loaded you'll barely feel like your wearing anything.

Only the most anal stitch counters & gear queers will critique this, everybody else will be too busy admiring your L1A1.

😜

Guys,

Thanks for the opinion on 58 pattern webbing.

I may get some at some point but in the mean time, as per the OP I am looking for:

- Molle compatible

- Ideally double mag pouch

- Ideally with with retention strap/velcro flap.

As per to OP I would like to know if M14 pouches would work with the SLR mag or if perhaps AK mag pouches are better. 

Anyone that has experience of using non 58 pattern pouches would be ideal.

-Sharpe

• Supporters

I'd say yes M14 pouches should fit, I've not handled SLR mags for 30 years 👴🏻, but on the basis of 7.62, the mags will be very similar in size.

7 hours ago, John_W said:

I can confirm that M14 and FAL/SLR mags fit in the same pouches, having used the same rig for both.

Many thanks. 

Condor double M14 pouch purchased for my SLR. 

Thanks to everyone for their help, and I promise I'll get some 58 pattern webbing at some point to atone for the heresy of going 'modern tactical' with my SLR👍

-Sharpe

How about a SMERSH?  Its basically just a redesigned Russian version of 58 Pattern.  I love mine.  Oh and careful with that L1A1.  I had one till recently.  Look up Negative Airsofts review of them on YT for the reasons why

Archived