Pistol ammo weight limit

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I was talking to a chap today who said that they limit the BB weight at his (outdoor) site to .28s in pistols, as there's no reason to use heavier.

I use .43s in my mk23, so was a bit surprised.
It's the only outdoor place I've come across that limits pistol ammo weight.
Do you have this at the sites you frequent?

What do you think?

I think it's quite clearly bollocks, as I'm sure people here would agree! BBs are BBs, weights are weights, the size of your RIF makes no difference in how they fly ultimately.

At the same time, considering how most pistols are gas and pistols are (imo) the RIFs that most often overshoot - I could see why they chose to restrict weights if they saw really hot readings on a warm day, if people complained etc.

Read about someone on here the other day mentioning that. I know some pistols can joule creep and I guess if manipulated it could creep up above what's classed as a "safe" limit with no MED.

I run .32's in my GBB's and .4's in my Mk23 (when it works) so this would totally ruin me. Hell my G18c overhops .28s with no hop allied.

• Supporters

not heard of a site specifically limiting it, although it's understandable if they've heard of joule creep. although realistically most pistols don't have the barrel length for that to be a major factor (seperate to longer than stock barrels under suppressors, that's a different story)

there is an argument that depending on the quality of the bbu it can bulge and/or break with extended heavy ammo use, i've had a couple of bbu's go this way.

i can sort of see their argument though, i dropped from running .48's in the makarov to .32's because firstly the bbu had bulged and needed replaced, and secondly i just can't shoot well enough to take advantage of the extra range.

problem with the weight used argument- cannae trust people to do that. ive heard people in safe zones bragging about telling the chrono they had .2 in their mag so it passes stats... telling each other how to cheat the chrono. hence why the chrono used  its own mags where it could even using speed loaders to replace the top so much and all. but large game days thats hard o do... 

then add silencers into the mix that increase barrel fps but dont put them on for chrono but they do for game... 

people..... id shoot em if i had enough ammo... 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, sonofsammo said:

If they're chronoing on the BB weight used, then I can't see why there's a problem, as it negates the effect of Joule creep.

And @Adolf Hamster - derailing my own thread I am - the makarov sounds good! - What is it and what have you done to it, if anything?

it's WE's makarov, with a pdi 6.01 and ML autobot 50°, with the right amount of hop spacing it'll list .48's at a joule, but hence how i know about the BBU bulging so these days i backed off the spacers and just run .32's, more than accurate enough for my pistol shooting skill level.

pretty decent little peice, but like many WE's it hates the cold and even in the warm gas effeciency is a hope rather than a certainty, but for me it's a handly little holster filler that serves well for when i run out of rifle mags and fancy a bit of pistol sniping for the hell of it.

1 hour ago, remus said:

problem with the weight used argument- cannae trust people to do that. ive heard people in safe zones bragging about telling the chrono they had .2 in their mag so it passes stats... telling each other how to cheat the chrono. hence why the chrono used  its own mags where it could even using speed loaders to replace the top so much and all. but large game days thats hard o do... 

then add silencers into the mix that increase barrel fps but dont put them on for chrono but they do for game... 

people..... id shoot em if i had enough ammo... 

whilst there is the argument that folk will lie their way through chrono, and i've seen (well, heard) it myself, the thing is it requires a concious effort to lie about it so the folk that are doing it can (and rightfully should) be instabanned when they get caught out.

the extension suppressors as far as i've heard screw up your accuracy so bad they're pretty much useless, i was thinking more folk fitting longer barrels because the whole longer barrel=more accuracy theory, same way folk do with rifles but with unintended consequences.

of course there are so many ways folk can cheat chrono, end of the day the best can be done is a site cultivating a good honest bunch of regulars to set the standard and a reputation for following through on banning folk who do get caught cheating.

love watching cheaters getting caught out... probably worth a thread on its own tbh.  but am always torn on what ot do when i hear cheaters discusssing it. to tell marshals or not... im likely to be getting shot... tell team mate and aim for overkill... hmmm

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, remus said:

love watching cheaters getting caught out... probably worth a thread on its own tbh.  but am always torn on what ot do when i hear cheaters discusssing it. to tell marshals or not... im likely to be getting shot... tell team mate and aim for overkill... hmmm

tbh it depends on the site, the textbook answer would be to report them to the marshalls who will then proceed to give them extra chrono attention and ban them on the spot if it turns out they are running hot.

of course realistically that's not guaranteed to happen especially with some sites, then there's the whole vote with your wallet argument but sometimes that's not practical.

That's completely stupid and makes no sense what so ever. Surely anything semi or full auto capable running 350fps or below on 0.2g should be limited too if your drawing that line with pistols. Hell I have fixed hop guns that need over 0.28g other wise they shoot skywards and its not like they're powerful. It's just lack of knowledge and or lazyness. Chrono guns on the weight used and measure in joules job done.

• Supporters
5 hours ago, sonofsammo said:

I was talking to a chap today who said that they limit the BB weight at his (outdoor) site to .28s in pistols, as there's no reason to use heavier

Well, airsofters say a lot of stuff.  Do we know what site it is?

If true, I'd guess that it's an attempt to discourage using Mk23s as pocket snipers.  But that's really all it's doing.  All airsoft guns shoot the same things[*] in the same way: puff, spin, point.  And .28s will still be heavier than half the long guns are slinging. It's an artificial distinction, and a bit peculiar.

[*] OK, OK, 8mm and 6.44mm

Archived