which rifle? cyma or specna arms

Syks
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi people, I have a g n g firehawk for cqb and absolutely LOVE it, im starting to get into woodland games now as well and even though the firehawk still performs amazing outdoors I think I would like to have a dedicated rifle just for woodland play.

I have narrowed it down between 2 makes of rifle, either something from specna arms newest range that has a mosfet and quick change spring system...or....one of the cyma platinum range rifles that come upgraded as standard with mosfet also.

Does anyone on here own either of these range of rifles? or has anyone played with both? how you find them? I just don't know which one to go for lol

I have a Specna arms edge E-15. 

It's a good rifle with good range and for the price I can't moan. Mine did come with a FPS issue though and at the moment it's firing at 320 FPS on a m100 spring. 

Duno about the CYMA Platinum range but I have a few standard CYMA weapons and they're OK.

I also have a Specna Arms EDGE SA-E03 which is one of my best shooting weapons so I can recommend that one...

Had a quick look at both and the Specna seems quite a bit cheaper too.

• Supporters

I'd go Specna Arms EDGE all the way.

Bear in mind that if and when you come to sell up, CYMA is perceived as a budget brand.  Their Platinum stuff might be full of cloned TM grade magic, but buyers are going to have to get past that branding.

I had a new CYMA Platinum arrive in the office last week.  Externally it's very solid,  the clone Magpul receiver is extremely nice as is the MLOK rail.  Grip   No creaks or wobbles.  Chrono'd a little high at 370 but easily fixed.  ROF was 20 on 11.1v.  Decent enough HT motor.  Not had a chance to open the gearbox, try the QD spring change or inspect the bucking and barrel. 

Overall extremely impressed for the price £160, got a broken EDGE coming in soon (bearing failure) so can give a comparison of internals.  Bit too early for these CYMA's though, need to get more out in the field for a good workout

Having handled and fired both I would go for the CYMA, depending upon how well the gearbox holds up.  Didn't like the fact that the shortest version they do is a 10"

Neither. Get Classic Army Nemesis from Weapon762 and ask them to downgrade the spring. Will be quite a bit better than both, externally and internally.

Not sure about the externals of Platinum Cyma, but internals are Ok, CNC steel 13:1 gears, very basic mosfet (no AB IIRC), hi speed motor, steel tooth piston.

Externals of the Edge are ok, internals are ok too. Mosfet is bit more advanced, but Edge suffers from poor compression.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

I'd go Specna Arms EDGE all the way.

Bear in mind that if and when you some to sell up, CYMA is perceived as a budget brand.  Their Platinum stuff might be full of cloned TM grade magic, but buyers are going to have to get past that branding.

Same applies to Specna, they are known as budget brand

13 minutes ago, SuckMySock said:

Neither. Get Classic Army Nemesis from Weapon762 and ask them to downgrade the spring. Will be quite a bit better than both, externally and internally.

Not sure about the externals of Platinum Cyma, but internals are Ok, CNC steel 13:1 gears, very basic mosfet (no AB IIRC), hi speed motor, steel tooth piston.

Externals of the Edge are ok, internals are ok too. Mosfet is bit more advanced, but Edge suffers from poor compression.

Same applies to Specna, they are known as budget brand

While I don't totally agree with you on specna range damn that is a good price for the x9! I did a lot of research on the ARP9 and X9 when I was looking for my first RIF and they both seemed really great options and that is still true.  @ryaw know you have been looking at the x9 https://www.weapon762.com/smgs/2064-classic-army-nemsis-x9-aeg-smg.html?search_query=nemesis&results=3

I've only ordered kit from here before so not sure if RIFs make it. 

Thanks for comments so far, these are the 2 rifles I have my eye on.... https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/cm-097b-upgraded-version-cyma?from=listing&campaign-id=19&fbclid=IwAR1KjIOmKo2UsYNM0HxAspP21A-ybcBPzS1Vy1dlL2Ai47uJ6fa9j89wZLM  or this  https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e07-edge-carbine?pv=9414&fbclid=IwAR1IlKykBmkBUE9HPQ6jEldmp2nf6R9T8ZANgkwGkFcjxfRf-Ah1QyUk_EI

Will be ordering on Tuesday but im still in 2 minds which one to get lol the cyma just sounds great for the money but the specna arms also seems great value for money...things that matter to me most as this will be my woodland rifle are accuracy at range, and build as don't want to be changing anything in the rifle for as long as I can, ive only been doing airsoft for a few months so still quite new and not very tech minded :) 

out of the 2 I would get the specna but I honestly know little about cyma and literally didn't know they had this platinum range until I read this thread. Make sure you do research on both so you can make an informed decision. 

14 minutes ago, Syks said:

Thanks for comments so far, these are the 2 rifles I have my eye on.... https://www.taiwangun.com/en/electric/cm-097b-upgraded-version-cyma?from=listing&campaign-id=19&fbclid=IwAR1KjIOmKo2UsYNM0HxAspP21A-ybcBPzS1Vy1dlL2Ai47uJ6fa9j89wZLM  or this  https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e07-edge-carbine?pv=9414&fbclid=IwAR1IlKykBmkBUE9HPQ6jEldmp2nf6R9T8ZANgkwGkFcjxfRf-Ah1QyUk_EI

Will be ordering on Tuesday but im still in 2 minds which one to get lol the cyma just sounds great for the money but the specna arms also seems great value for money...things that matter to me most as this will be my woodland rifle are accuracy at range, and build as don't want to be changing anything in the rifle for as long as I can, ive only been doing airsoft for a few months so still quite new and not very tech minded :) 

you should just buy both 🙂

one key feature of the CYMA is the ability to change the spring without having to remove the gearbox from the receiver.  I think with this SA version you have to remove the gearbox to access the QD spring (check this).  The QD motor grip get a few complaints on the FB groups and a fair few people reported spur gear bearing failure.

SA does have engraved Rock River Arms license (whoever they are) 🙂  but engraved decent logo is a nice touch.  Orion GB slightly better quality internal parts it seems, but something up with that bearing issue.  Plastic rotary hop, you get 2x mid caps whereas only 1 mid with CYMA, 2 springs with SA only 1 with CYMA

If I had the cash I probably would buy both lol the specna does have a quick change spring so don't have to touch the gear box to change it, you do have to take the buffer tube off though which you don't have to do on the cyma, I asked a guy on youtube who has had the cyma for a few months what he thinks and he said he has put around 10 thousand rounds through the cyma so far and its still shooting like it did on day 1..... its a tough decision for me lol there isn't many vids of the cyma on youtube as its a fairly new rifle

1 minute ago, Syks said:

the specna does have a quick change spring so don't have to touch the gear box to change it, you do have to take the buffer tube off though which you don't have to do on the cyma

you're getting a tad mixed up here, on the cyma you just remove the stock/buffer tube and unscrew - similar to the old style SA SAEC system.

on the Edge I'm pretty sure you have to remove the gearbox completely from the receiver, not a tricky job but a ballache as you generally have to remove the motor, grip, upper receiver etc.  If someone can confirm this on Edge please do.  At Shot Show SA just announced there new Edge V2 model will have the SAEC system so guessing the current lineup doesn't have it

4 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

you're getting a tad mixed up here, on the cyma you just remove the stock/buffer tube and unscrew - similar to the old style SA SAEC system.

on the Edge I'm pretty sure you have to remove the gearbox completely from the receiver, not a tricky job but a ballache as you generally have to remove the motor, grip, upper receiver etc.  If someone can confirm this on Edge please do.  At Shot Show SA just announced there new Edge V2 model will have the SAEC system so guessing the current lineup doesn't have it

You are wrong about the Specna Edge quick change system.

You remove the buffer tube then the spring guide nothing else. This is for the EDGE series there are specnas where you need to remove the gear box from the receiver but not this range. 

Could get our resident Specna  buff @L3wisD to confirm but I think the Edge V2 has the system that doesn't require a long screw driver to get the buffer tube of or something.

1 minute ago, ak2m4 said:

You just remove the buffer tube and you access it through there. 

Image result for specna arms ESA

Thanks guys I thought so lol with the cyma you don't even have to remove the buffer tube, just slide stock off and unscrew the guide with long flat head screwdriver so even easier :) 

Just now, Syks said:

Thanks guys I thought so lol with the cyma you don't even have to remove the buffer tube, just slide stock off and unscrew the guide with long flat head screwdriver so even easier :) 

yeah that seems the case, it's a nice touch if you don't have a castle nut removal tool, there wasn't one in the box but there's one pictured in the manual

Archived