New player from kent

Danie1

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all 

I'm looking at buying my first gun and I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices, if anyone has had any experience of either or why one might be better than the other it would be much appreciated. 

Daniel

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e05-edge-carbine?pv=9420

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-cm16-combat-machine-series-predator?pv=6745

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

11 hours ago, Danie1 said:

Hi all 

I'm looking at buying my first gun and I've narrowed it down to a couple of choices, if anyone has had any experience of either or why one might be better than the other it would be much appreciated. 

Daniel

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/specna-arms-rock-river-arms-sa-e05-edge-carbine?pv=9420

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-cm16-combat-machine-series-predator?pv=6745

I spoke to a few of the lads from platoon stores a few months ago. Apprently the predator is very internally similar to a standard combat machine (very basic starter gun). Even though they do look pretty cool you may want to wait until you get a UKARA then get one without two-tone if your still into them

18 hours ago, Unjo said:

I spoke to a few of the lads from platoon stores a few months ago. Apprently the predator is very internally similar to a standard combat machine (very basic starter gun). Even though they do look pretty cool you may want to wait until you get a UKARA then get one without two-tone if your still into them

Thanks for the reply, that's good to know. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Daniel!

Nice to meet another member from Kent! I started Airsoft a little less than a year ago and initially was looking at that exact G&G gun to start off with. 

It's definitely a great starter gun, and i would personally pick that over the Specna Arms one. 

One thing to note if you do decide to go with the G&G gun, is that it looks like you'll have to buy 11.1v batteries for it due to the mosfet installed (see bottom of description on the website). This isn't an issue though as the 11.1v batteries will make the gun a whole lot more responsive. Just worth keeping in mind before you accidentally buy the wrong type! ;) 

If you haven't already, pop down to Invicta Battlefield or Ace Combat (both are based between Maidstone and Tunbridge Wells). These sites are where i started, everyone is incredibly friendly and helpful and there's an on-site shop ran by PlatoonStores if you ever have any issues or questions!

Luke

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

I'm from East Kent and a complete newbie in this. Want to get started (after the apocalypse) and using this forum to get started. Doubtful I'll buy a gun yet so will rent for a the few times. 

Any hints and tips very much appreciated.

Chris

40 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Hi all,

I'm from East Kent and a complete newbie in this. Want to get started (after the apocalypse) and using this forum to get started. Doubtful I'll buy a gun yet so will rent for a the few times. 

Any hints and tips very much appreciated.

Chris

Firstly, welcome! 👋

Main thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself! The airsoft community is one of the friendliest i've ever been a part of and people will be more than happy to help you get started. 😃

I started renting for a few months until i got my UKARA license, which is required to be able to purchase any RIF. If you do know anyone with a spare or a friend who has another gun free, i'd suggest using that. The prices for renting a gun/kit on-top of the site fees can make it quite costly. 

I would highly suggest you start by purchasing some good quality eye protection and boots if you haven't already. I'm currently using Bolle Contour Safety Glasses as they're more comfortable for my odd-shaped head and nose 😅. You can use whatever suits you as long as it covers your eyes completely and is going to withstand a potential barrage of BBs at close range. Don't cheap out on eye protection, it only takes one BB to take an eye out!  Check out the UK airsoft retailers and they normally supply tried and tested eyepro.

I also have some Magnum branded boots which have ankle support (this is, and has been, a total ankle-saver for me!). I've witnessed a guy in trainers break his ankle after getting his foot jammed in a rabbit hole... not pretty!

Also, if you don't like getting shot in the face, or would prefer to not lose any teeth, pick up a mesh lower face protector. It's unlikely that you'll lose a tooth but you can never be too careful...

Hope this helps! :) 

2 minutes ago, LSUK said:

Main thing is to have fun and enjoy yourself! The airsoft community is one of the friendliest i've ever been a part of and people will be more than happy to help you get started. 😃

I started renting for a few months until i got my UKARA license, which is required to be able to purchase any RIF. If you do know anyone with a spare or a friend who has another gun free, i'd suggest using that. The prices for renting a gun/kit on-top of the site fees can make it quite costly. 

I would highly suggest you start by purchasing some good quality eye protection and boots if you haven't already. I'm currently using Bolle Contour Safety Glasses as they're more comfortable for my odd-shaped head and nose 😅. You can use whatever suits you as long as it covers your eyes completely and is going to withstand a potential barrage of BBs at close range. Don't cheap out on eye protection, it only takes one BB to take an eye out!  Check out the UK airsoft retailers and they normally supply tried and tested eyepro.

I also have some Magnum branded boots which have ankle support (this is, and has been, a total ankle-saver for me!). I've witnessed a guy in trainers break his ankle after getting his foot jammed in a rabbit hole... not pretty!

Also, if you don't like getting shot in the face, or would prefer to not lose any teeth, pick up a mesh lower face protector. It's unlikely that you'll lose a tooth but you can never be too careful...

Hope this helps! :) 

Thank you Kindly, This community seems super friendly and helpful.

All I've been doing to watching YouTube videos of it and its only wanting me to try it.

Yes, renting for the first few matches then start buying my own guns when I get a UKARA card, don't like them two tone guns.

No friends I know do this currently so just rent for the time being. No doubt ill be spending weeks of research for what rifle I'll want to get.

Face + eye protection wont be cheaped out on. The mesh face masks look like a good investment as I do prefer my teeth in so thanks for that! 

Be looking at some chest rigs aswell. 

Thanks!

Personally I skipped over the EDGE series and went for CORE and just slapped in a gate nano AAB mosfet (they're like £25) and honestly I think that's all you'll need to start! Plus the money you saved on the edge can be put towards stuff like magazines, accessories, or even a cheap and cheerful sidearm :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.