RIF delivery address limitation

KirbyHCI
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I noticed if buying an RIF it has to be sent direct to the actual address of the UKARA no. holder... 

Problem is my post isn't safe here, packages and post either get delivered to the wrong address who like to sign for/steal packages then curtain twitch while pretending to not be in if I or the delivery company goes there, or gets left in stupid places and stolen. I get all my post and packages sent to a neighbor I trust and play airsoft with sometimes (he doesn't have a UKARA no. though) 

I assume there's no way around this and due to the law being an ass I'm going to have to risk them getting stolen and putting RIFs in the hands of blatant theives if the delivery guy doesn't find the right address and/or doesn't actually get it signed for or hand it over face to face as they should. Do they normally check they're delivering it to the right person when it comes to RIFs? Or is there any way to have a designated safer delivery location (I doubt the latter though) 

You could contact ZeroOne airsoft who maintain the UKARA database and ask if you can change the delivery address to your local airsoft site?

Or contact the delivery company and say that you want to pick it up yourself?  (they might deliver to another address?)

12 hours ago, KirbyHCI said:

I noticed if buying an RIF it has to be sent direct to the actual address of the UKARA no. holder... 

Problem is my post isn't safe here, packages and post either get delivered to the wrong address who like to sign for/steal packages then curtain twitch while pretending to not be in if I or the delivery company goes there, or gets left in stupid places and stolen. I get all my post and packages sent to a neighbor I trust and play airsoft with sometimes (he doesn't have a UKARA no. though) 

I assume there's no way around this and due to the law being an ass I'm going to have to risk them getting stolen and putting RIFs in the hands of blatant theives if the delivery guy doesn't find the right address and/or doesn't actually get it signed for or hand it over face to face as they should. Do they normally check they're delivering it to the right person when it comes to RIFs? Or is there any way to have a designated safer delivery location (I doubt the latter though) 

With some carriers you can set a designated safe place. (Provided a signature is not required)

But if it’s not secure then it’s become your liability for the package to go missing :

If the deliverer leaves a card saying they have left your package behind the bins and it’s gone then that’s a failed delivery - it could take time and hassle to resolve, but they did get it safely to you. 
If you tell them to put it there then they have followed your instructions and it’s your problem if it’s gone.

If you have problems in your street then you can buy a delivery box.  As long as it’s big enough then the package either gets posted in a slot or there is a key in a combination safe, and you provide the combination to your expected carrier or in the delivery instructions.

You can also designate your preferred neighbour.  Packages would then go to the neighbour of your choice rather than whoever the deliverer picks.

This works for signatures too

Failing to get a suitable delivery point then means going the old fashioned way of receiving the card in the door then collecting from the post office, depot etc

A simple old fashioned solution is to put a note on the door - “Dear postie, please deliver to number 17”, or “Dear postie, please return to post office for collection” 

Not true, as long as the billing address is the UKARA address, you should be able to send a RIF anywhere, as you are legally entitled to gift it to anyone you like.

I know at least one major airsoft retailer who is happy to do this, and several use the UPS drop point delivery method, for which you need to provide proof of identity to pick up

• Supporters

I'm sure if you explain to the seller the situation, whether it's a retailer or a private entity, they'll be happy to send it to wherever you like, just so long as your ukara details match your payment details there shouldn't be a problem, after all a rif ending up in unsavory hands reflects on airsoft as a whole, & would probably impact on their business and reputation.

ps, if it's an aa12, l1a1 or mk5 sterling your buying, your more than welcome to use my address 😜

I've had RIF's delivered to work with no issues. I usually phone the retailer and order that way rather than via the interweb thingy if I want a work delivery  just to be on the safe side, but no one has ever had a problem with it when I have asked.

• Supporters

Word of warning though, I had an ace stock delivered to my old workplace, it turned up on my day off & when the mailroom x-rayed it, to them it looked like a pistol (stupid crosseyed wankers🤪), next thing the city-of-london plod arrive & cordon the place off, first thing I knew about it was turning up to work next day & lots of funny looks & pointing lol.

50 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Word of warning though, I had an ace stock delivered to my old workplace, it turned up on my day off & when the mailroom x-rayed it, to them it looked like a pistol (stupid crosseyed wankers🤪), next thing the city-of-london plod arrive & cordon the place off, first thing I knew about it was turning up to work next day & lots of funny looks & pointing lol.

I’ll see your police response and raise you Bomb squad..... But I was the one who told the post room to report it !!!

I was away for a few days in meetings, and received a message to call the office when free.

In a break I called back, they asked if I was expecting anything as a package had arrived —- and looked a bit dodgy.

I was expecting some, however I told them that if they thought it looked dodgy then to report it.

So after they pondered a little they reported it.  Everyone got to go home for the afternoon and we got an x-ray image stuck on the wall of a battery charger in a mashed up package 

• Supporters

Pragmatically speaking, I'd say that it depends where you're buying from.

Outside the UK, I'd make sure the delivery address matches the UKARA one.  I'd do that by asking the site that registered you to update the address.  If you've had things sent there already, you should be able to provide some sort of documentation, yes?

Inside the UK, bleurgh, just order it.  Are they bovvered?  If they are, the worst that will happen is that they hold up the order, at which point you get in touch and explain the situation.  You won't lose out either way.  Your payment provider might be more suspicious than the retailer though, and rightfully so.

Ah thanks y'all. I think I misinterpreted stuff I read about UKARA delivery based on these responses :P

Must have missed the word billing at some point. 

Archived