Minimum post count to sell in Classifieds

Steveocee

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I know Mac's thread gives us all a really good laugh but surely a bit of prevention is better than the cure? How about restricting selling in the classifieds to people who have above X amount of posts?

This would see off the casual rip off merchants and people joining "just" to sell and encourage them to get involved in the community. Of course the dedicated rip off merchant will spam a load of posts but you'd at least see it coming.

• Supporters

i've seen this on some forums, it's a tricky balance, some places argue especially when we're talking high ticket items that the trust of knowing whoever you're dealing with has stuck around long enough to be a member of the community.

of course those places didn't have mack's, it's a novel way of approaching the problem but i must admit it does seem to be effective.

1 hour ago, proffrink said:

Many of our newest members find us through selling on the classifieds first. I fear this would significantly impact easing new members into the community.

It's worth noting that Arnies held off from changing this for years - once the restriction was lifted there was an uptick in new members, sorely needed for a declining forum. Sadly too little, too late.

Not that I'm implying the sales section is key for forum survival - there are much bigger things in play, like Facebook - but it's something to consider all the same.

2 hours ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

like Facebook

And anyone who relies on Facebook sought advice deserves everything they get!! 😂

Very few FB pages are particularly helpful (unless they're moderated), and finding anything in particular is pretty much impossible.  FB is best used as a tool to drive traffic towards better, more reliable and usable places.

Getting back on topic, I can understand both sides of the minimum posts to advertise discussion but I think that Mack's is definitely a great filter - and a huge source of entertainment!!  Although we've had far too many people being very reasonable just recently, very disturbing behaviour 🤯

3 hours ago, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Horrible idea. If you see an item which is a rip off its best to close the tab and move on with your life

Actually no, that’s what Macs is for.

• Supporters

If not a post count what about a "probationary period", ability to view the classifieds with regards to buying, but no selling for the first 30 days ?.

Might encourage new members to actually become involved in the "community" side of things ?.

• Supporters

Thing is, it's not just the "just joined overpriced chancers" that are an annoyance, having some restrictions to selling might deter the scammers ?, while they're not prevalent on here they do occasionally try to "dip their toe in the water" so to speak, anything that puts those cnuts off is worth having............

IMG_5074.JPG

how about access to said forum part requires reading and ticking a disclaimer? would be worth reminding people that legal stuff covers purchases and reminder that such is being monitored and stuff wil be passed to police if required... might put the dodgy off and at least protect this place? 

(the only purchase i ever did through here was an aug(that i need toshift on) and said owner never mentioned ukara once...)

• 3 months later...
On 20/01/2020 at 13:58, Samurai said:

Minimum posts before classifieds results shitposting. A lot of it.

Easily fixed with warnings about content validity, and multiple infractions resulting in the banhammer.

On topic - 

The amount of no post / no defence time wasters who've messaged me this past week is astounding. This is just about the only forum with classifieds I still frequent that doesn't have an 80-100 constructive post requirement before classified access. It weeds out so much chaff, it's also brilliant for weeding out underage people trying to buy stuff they can't.

29 minutes ago, proffrink said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ZeroIn also have a zero post requirement for their classifieds section?

Yup, and Comrades discord, every Messenger and WhatsApp group, and all the sales only pages lol

On 17/01/2020 at 15:58, GeorgePlaysAirsoft said:

Horrible idea. If you see an item which is a rip off its best to close the tab and move on with your life

It’s best to alert potential buyers they might be getting ripped off and try to encourage some price adjustments to the open minded and level headed types via macks, or... ya know.... rip into them if they’re a twat 😂

6 hours ago, proffrink said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't ZeroIn also have a zero post requirement for their classifieds section?

Which is why I personally stopped using it about 5 years ago, as it was then worse than my past week's experience. Using that s***hole as a comparison to anything reasonable is questionable.

I'm using forums from other interest areas as examples, namely IT hardware/modding classifieds, and other pursuits - there are no piss takers floating about, because they've got to make 80+ constructive posts in a period of no less than 3 months to even be given access to classifieds, even then they are there on a probationary basis for the first month (ie any complaints from buyers/sellers can result in premature access removal). These are forums with 50-100k active users on average, maybe 20-30% actually have access because of the stringent rules preventing piss takers and scammers from being able to operate.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.