Opinions on the WE GBB L85A2?

Diemaco
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I saw one of these for sale on a local dealer's website yesterday, and I'm sorely tempted as it was under £300. Is that a good price?

It certainly seems to look the part, but I don't know about the reliability/durability, or availability of spares, mags etc.

Has anyone here got one? What do you reckon to it? Is it still a worthwhile purchase (I gather that the model is a few years old now)?

WE gas rifles are a bit of a hit and miss. Some are known to have reliability issues. Its annoying that WE are the only company making the gbb l85. If its for skirmishing, get a TM. If it's for collecting, go ahead. But just be aware if loading nozzle issues and leaky mags.

On the other hand its quite easy and cheap to get parts for WE gbbr's.

RA-TECH also make quite a few upgraded parts for WE M4's and G36's

Have a look for L85 parts and see how well its supported.

use good ammo and don't over load the mags and the loading nozzles will generally give you no issues . however the L85 has one issue where the recoil springs can wear away the holes at the rear of the bolt carrier . This is very easily sorted by adding two thin ,steel washers to prevent wear .

Don't be tempted to throw RATECH parts at it . Most of the reliability issues with WE rifles come from RATECH's crappy "upgrades" and the fact people think they are better than the stock parts. 

The problems people have had with Ra-Tech is they are made of steel so will wear the other standard parts more quickly.  You just have to be careful which bits get upgraded.

20 hours ago, EDcase said:

The problems people have had with Ra-Tech is they are made of steel so will wear the other standard parts more quickly.  You just have to be careful which bits get upgraded.

No the biggest problem people have with RATECH is their parts don't often actually fit as they are poorly cast or machined 

On 13/01/2020 at 10:02, EDcase said:

On the other hand its quite easy and cheap to get parts for WE gbbr's.

RA-TECH also make quite a few upgraded parts for WE M4's and G36's

Have a look for L85 parts and see how well its supported.

True if you have the M4, they are cheaper than most however quite rare.

L85 parts are harder to come by, (even more rare as I found out are MSK parts), spent a good majority of the last 6 months looking for parts without having to pay £50 shipping fees from America / Asia.. There are parts from AngryGun and RaTech but their reliability and performance are another debate to be honest. Best place i found was milspecsolutions or fire support but these are also the only places ive found and once you start browsing you start to wish you'd bought the PTS or MWS (in my opinion). Parts for WE GBBR's have started to emerge again after about a year of "Out of Stock" but ive only really found (Some) magazine repair parts.

52 minutes ago, RYoung22 said:

True if you have the M4, they are cheaper than most however quite rare.

L85 parts are harder to come by, (even more rare as I found out are MSK parts), spent a good majority of the last 6 months looking for parts without having to pay £50 shipping fees from America / Asia.. There are parts from AngryGun and RaTech but their reliability and performance are another debate to be honest. Best place i found was milspecsolutions or fire support but these are also the only places ive found and once you start browsing you start to wish you'd bought the PTS or MWS (in my opinion). Parts for WE GBBR's have started to emerge again after about a year of "Out of Stock" but ive only really found (Some) magazine repair parts.

kyairsoft are the place to go for WE parts, not sure what their shipping is like though

Overall it sounds like the L85 is not the best choice of gbbr ;)

I have bought a few things from KYairsoft.  Efficient service and shipping was not too expensive.

13 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Overall it sounds like the L85 is not the best choice of gbbr ;)

I have bought a few things from KYairsoft.  Efficient service and shipping was not too expensive.

14 minutes ago, EvilMonkee said:

kyairsoft are the place to go for WE parts, not sure what their shipping is like though

Had a quick gander on Kyairsoft & Agreed, around about $8-$12 for shipping, restored some of my faith in WE's aftermarket & parts.

Love my WE L85, I have done the washers trick for the recoil springs, but I have seen an updated bolt which has a strengthening part built in. Service it properly and enjoy it

Archived