Trying to make a small site

AlexTheDark
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters
6 hours ago, Tackle said:

he got a very public lifetime ban for repeatedly cheating

Which is exactly what you can't do if you're all sneaking into someone else's premises and playing as peers, on the hush-hush.

This is going to be quite rambling as I’ve written it a bit at a time since this afternoon

I’ve missed out a lot of pointers, but it’s a start

As an event organiser there are other considerations:

The basics of knowing how to design & run a game / site as opposed to playing it.

We can all look at the design of a zone and improve the ability to defend it. Why does every fort have great big open doorways at the back and front, towers where defenders can be shot in the back, bushes and growth up close to the fort?????  They all make it attackable as opposed to defendable.

The answer is because that’s the point - give everyone a chance, the argument gets made that attack / defend get rotated, but making an objective fully defendable demoralises the attackers - or humiliates the losing defenders.

Make the game fun for all

You then add on all the overheads of running a site, with paying for it,, paying rates etc (sometimes a developer sitting on a premises will still cover the rates and get some rental income), multiple insurances, making it safe, staff costs .....

For something unusual you then need to add on the added risk, need a different calibre and quantity of Marshall’s etc

Have and enforce new rules.

I played the only paintball event at the mall. It was a disaster.

One organiser was due to run a limited capacity event using powder balls, but a local team who had done some private mini games among themselves decided they could run a game.

This would also be limited, but with clear paint 

Then they discovered the real costs of hire against the limited income on low paint capacity.  They changed to unlimited paint, and come the date the quality was poor

(As it was clear this was produced specifically for the event, we ended up with a lot spare afterwards. A little while later the paint had ‘cured’ and was in good condition)

The whole event began with delays and disorganisation - all the extra safety briefs etc of being in the mall, and their inexperience.

Almost instantly in the first game the floor was an ice rink, even ‘carpeted’ areas were soaked through. The next delay was stopping everything until someone had gone out to get sawdust, then distribute the sawdust.

Now instead of sliding on a wet sloppy floor we were sliding on clogged up sawdust.

Across an entire weekend we got about 2 or 3 hours of gameplay

Part of the ticket included helping clear up, but most people just gave up and left, at first there were “no paint refunds” but someone was given a refund & things kicked off with the rest, particularly with those who had bought stupid amounts.

We were sweeping up, and finding that the walls were bleeding clear paint from above, top off to that when we noticed that most of the organising team had left, we gave up and went

The organising team disintegrated, they couldn’t afford to pay the hire and I understand that money also disappeared.

Paintball was to never return to the mall

This was a cautionary tale about seeing easy £s and also ignoring assistance offered when it was only a minor disaster

There is one marshalling team that I would trust to run special events like this (they would have run the originally planned game) and very few organisers.

I would only recommend unusual venues it you can get together a good experienced marshalling team, make a venue safe, know & handle the potential risks and start with very limited and controlled events such as ‘experiences’ (zombie survival etc). 

Paintball’s can become a death trap on anything solid.  We have run unusual events for both paintball and airsoft.  

BBs can be swept out of the way, gel leaves a slippery surface

We make sure there are quite a few ‘controls’ and limits 

As we like our pyro this also necessitated ensuring that what we put on the floor is also fire safe!!!!!!

I will only run certain formats in certain places and with certain people

Each venue has its own problems to deal with 

if we want to add some basic player stupidity then we have:

the guy who smashed his face into the wall playing laser tag at swynnerton

the guy who ran into breeze blocks at game on at copehill

the guy who ran straight into razor wire at game on just after being told to go around it

the guy who dislocated his shoulder in the sack race (but i have the footage showing which celebrity paintballer caused it)

the event organiser who blew apart the floor of a tower into his skull 

the guy who saved breaking his back slipping at the mall, saved by smashing his pots and being cushioned by the paint

The ghillie sniper who caused a traffic jam beside an international airport due to crawling under every boundary line 

I have many more that I can tell, let alone the secret ones 

• Supporters
On 12/01/2020 at 07:03, Tommikka said:

What if there is an accident?  You are organising this so take on liability for the risk to others

Aside, the case law I'd highlight there is Vowles vs Evans and the WRU:

https://www.bailii.org/ew/cases/EWCA/Civ/2003/318.html

tl;dr version: a volunteer, unpaid rugby referee was held liable for an injury suffered by a player in an amateur game.  You run the game, you take the rap, regardless of whether money is changing hands.  Fortunately for Evans, the Welsh Rugby Union covered his liability.  OP here would have no such protection.

All I’ll add is this.........

Firearms Act 1968

(1)A person commits an offence if, while he has a firearm [or imitation firearm] with him, he enters or is in any building or part of a building as a trespasser and without reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him).

Basically ANY civil trespass with an imitation firearm becomes a CRIMINAL offence.

CBH

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Albiscuit said:

I still want him to send that letter to the council :D

See, cuz it ent unlegal unless there are signs saying it's not inversely anti-legal.

I can imagine their reply, lots of WTFs and question marks!!

that being said there is an empty toys r us building near me that’s  huge and would be perfect for an Airsoft site :D 

• Supporters

I'm surprised the hospital/sanitorium that's being talked about hasn't been snapped up already by one of usual Airsoft firms, I can only assume it's either unsuitable due to size/condition etc, or is earmarked for imminent development ?

2 hours ago, Tackle said:

I'm surprised the hospital/sanitorium that's being talked about hasn't been snapped up already by one of usual Airsoft firms, I can only assume it's either unsuitable due to size/condition etc, or is earmarked for imminent development ?

There isn't one.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Steveocee said:

There isn't one.

The OP mentioned a mental asylum (aka a sanitorium by us old buggers) 😜

9 hours ago, Tackle said:

The OP mentioned a mental asylum (aka a sanitorium by us old buggers) 😜

OP is deluded. I've lived in Derby for 33 years and there are no abandoned asylums just stood, never mind suitable for Airsoft.

There only ever really has been Kingsway and the whole site is being demolished and rebuilt as shiny new houses and flats.

Archived