Specna Arms G36 SA-G13 review.

RussHampson
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Here's a quick review of my G-13.
Picture is not mine.

So, I picked up one of the Specna Arms G36's with the intention of turning it into an MG36 eventually, here are my thoughts on it.

The gun is almost identical to my S&T G36 asides a few quality points; the body seems more sturdy, the pins feel less flimsy and the actual gearbox mechanism feels less cheap.

The replica looks great (duh, it's a G36), fits together easily and is super quick to strip down. I had a new spring and bucking in the rifle in under 10 minutes.

A few points that could be improved:
- S&T/Ares/Umarex G36's don't have the best feed. This was something I'd hoped would be fixed with the Specna version, but unfortunately not. I still get the odd double feed on full auto. 
- It uses the annoying older hop unit like on the S&T models, which is proprietary to this series. JG/TM hops are not compatible, and as such, there are no options for upgrades here.
- The alignment of the barrel was slightly off.

Now, it sounds like I'm panning the gun; I'm not.

One thing I will pan though is the dual scope/red dot setup.

Put simply, it's shoddy.
There isn't enough adjustment in either of them. Due to the cheap build of the sight unit, if you need to zero your sights to the right, you're done for.
I'm currently modifying both the scope and red dot so that they can move further to be adjusted effectively.
The scope is quite an easy fix; there is a rubber grommet that sits around the muzzle end of the scope, this can be removed to allow for more movement. If you want details on this, let me know. 
The red dot sight is another beast entirely. This is 100% the cheapest part of the gun. Badly put together, badly moulded and completely unserviceable without basically pulling the whole unit apart and almost starting from scratch. I have literally no idea how this part was put together in the factory.
I'll be working on fixing this part for a while I suspect.
I'm tempted to cut it in half and rebuild it altogether.

Now, don't get me wrong, there is a LOT of gun here for the price (I think I paid about £126 from Gunfire).
It shoots (relatively) well, the RoF is decent on a 7.4, FPS is consistent, even the proprietary hop unit isn't bad.
I'd happily pay more for the sight to be better quality though.
If anyone has any questions about the gun, feel free to ask.

specna-arms-sa-g13-ebb-aeg-bk.jpg

I ran a proper Hensoldt G36 scope and rail on my G36 (combined red dot and scope)

To be honest, it looked very nice but was totally useless. Eye relief was terrible, optics were sort of OK , but having to move my head around to focus ? 

Not a success in all honesty.

I went back to using a T1 red dot. Worked far better.

3 minutes ago, Archer said:

I ran a proper Hensoldt G36 scope and rail on my G36 (combined red dot and scope)

If I could afford one of those, I'd have it in a heartbeat! 

I think it's more of a novelty situation for me though as opposed to practicality. 

I run my other G36 with just a scope and T1 on the rail above it, gets the job done! 

A Hensoldt ? They crop up now and again. And they can be got for a resonable price, just have to shop around/keep your ears and eyes open.

Airsoft Boot Sales/Fairs can be a good source.

And if you can find a police disposal sale, you may be lucky there too.

Meantine, if you have spare cash :-

http://www.helstongunsmiths.com/default.asp?ID=1127&CB=1%2F12%2F2020+2%3A06%3A40+PM

We got one of our friends to drop some dollar, so he's just starting out in Airsoft.  He's bought a very nice looking SPECNA M4 (Can't remember which model...but it's front rails are Mlok and bronze.)  Very tidy and quite impressed with it.  Not bad for £230 tbh...  Gonna borrow it next sunday and have a play with it. :)

Thanks for the review..interesting read.

Yeah, the M4's are nice, I grabbed one of their PDW's a few months back. 

Solid RIF, but it was one that had one of the dodgy Mosfets in it. It'd fire on safe, when you changed fire mode, or even just when you bumped the gun into something. 

Updated it through the computer and haven't had a problem since. 

Interesting review, thanks.  I was considering one of the Speca G36s for a DMR build I've been thinking about for a while but will have to do some more research on the hop unit as I was intending to swap it out for an AirsoftPro one.

No problem! 

Yeah, the hop up situation isn't the best; I tried adapting a Lonex one for my S&T G36, but it wasn't terribly successful. 

I'd definitely recommend getting a secondhand TM or a JG if you want to upgrade it. 

The only aftermarket hop I've found specifically for Ares etc is this one: https://www.evike.com/products/81085/

But unfortunately it's out of stock.

Edit: Upon looking again, I'm not even sure if this would work. 

Bearing in mind that I'll likely gut the gearbox and completely rebuild it I'm leaning towards the JG, most likely this one just because I like the look of it and don't want something that's so long it's unwieldy!  I'm keeping a look out for a second hand one but will buy new if I have to, even then the upgrades will probably cost more! 😂

What I am waiting for from Specna is for them to 'edge' the G range. It's good to know I would need a rail as well

I don't think they'll make an Edge version unfortunately - this G36 is pretty much a carbon copy of an Ares, so my guess is that they use the same factory. I couldn't see them forking out for new tooling for another G36. 

It'd definitely be nice though; just a better sight and more standardised hop unit and I'd be happy! 

Archived