Alternatives to Geoff's / Longbow

sonofsammo
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I kinda have the same issue, i have a penchant for running geoffs .48 super precisions in an assault gun and whilst its spectacularly effective my wallet cant sustain it.

The compromise i've come to is to run their precision .32's most of the time which are "good enough" and each time i order i'll pick up a bag of .48's. then when ive built up a few bags and its a special event i'll bring them out and go nuts.

Of course we're all at 1j here, so theres not much threat of being outranged by boltguns.

39 minutes ago, sonofsammo said:

I've been running the MWS a lot more and if I keep it up with using Geoff's/Longbow, I'll be skint forever.
Can anyone recommend alternative .36s that are decent, but cheaper?
TIA 😄

Bz tactical have ASG Devil Blasters .36g in white for aroun 22 quid for 3300. 

I might have to pick up some myself since upgrading the L85s bucking with a maple leaf Macaron 50 and a soft 0hm means it's over hopping .28s on the lowest setting!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/01/2020 at 19:33, Adolf Hamster said:

I kinda have the same issue, i have a penchant for running geoffs .48 super precisions in an assault gun and whilst its spectacularly effective my wallet cant sustain it.

The compromise i've come to is to run their precision .32's most of the time which are "good enough" and each time i order i'll pick up a bag of .48's. then when ive built up a few bags and its a special event i'll bring them out and go nuts.

Of course we're all at 1j here, so theres not much threat of being outranged by boltguns.

wouldn't the FPS on a .48g be a bit low in a standard 350 fps gun? 

On 11/01/2020 at 12:06, Samurai said:

Both geoffs and longbow are BLS.

https://www.taiwangun.com/en/pellets/0,bls

They have them on sale sometimes.

Curious how Geoff’s leave a load of powdery residue on the internals and Lomgbow’s don’t if they’re made by the same people. 

27 minutes ago, E21A said:

Curious how Geoff’s leave a load of powdery residue on the internals and Lomgbow’s don’t if they’re made by the same people. 

That's just a bit of the magic dust that you get when you buy Geoffs. You have to justify the price somehow.

To my knowledge Longbow and Geoffs Precision are the same but Geoffs Super Precision are a strand better.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Musica said:

wouldn't the FPS on a .48g be a bit low in a standard 350 fps gun? 

Its managable, a lot of folk dont move much and you just learn to pick your shots, the range advantage means you can start taking advantage of folk who arent expecting you to be able to reach them.

Yes you need to learn the lead for when someone's sprinting but realistically that applies to any bb weight. Its a fair trade for range/accuracy.

The cost on the other hand......

1 hour ago, Adolf Hamster said:

Its managable, a lot of folk dont move much and you just learn to pick your shots, the range advantage means you can start taking advantage of folk who arent expecting you to be able to reach them.

Yes you need to learn the lead for when someone's sprinting but realistically that applies to any bb weight. Its a fair trade for range/accuracy.

The cost on the other hand......

I've been running  .30s in my EVO and get 275 FPS. I was put off trying higher as I thought it might not actually give me more range/accuracy going slower.  I think my stock hopup/bucking will do 0.32g without issue might give it ago.

• Supporters
9 minutes ago, Musica said:

I've been running  .30s in my EVO and get 275 FPS. I was put off trying higher as I thought it might not actually give me more range/accuracy going slower.  I think my stock hopup/bucking will do 0.32g without issue might give it ago.

raw fps=/=range

for X energy (which will be the joule limit for your site/gun setup) and assuming your gun can generate sufficient spin heavier ammo will always go further, they also tend to be less affected by wind/leaves etc (although not infallable) leading to better accuracy at range.

however, there are a few reasons why you wouldn't want to go for the heaviest you can get, first and foremost being cost (very much pertinent to this thread)

the other issue is flight time, personally i reckon it's a fair trade for extra range given most folk don't move much, but others might disagree, guess it depends on your playstyle. it is however absolutely possible to fire only to have someone duck out of the way but frankly that can happen on any weight bb. 

mostly it's the expense of them, it's ok for sniping if you don't go through much but only someone very rich or utterly insane would run them in an assault gun (i wish i could say i do it because i'm rich)

mate of mine hasn't had any issues running .32's in his evo, and that's what i run the vast majority of the time in all my guns, but i do like to save up a stash of the heavies for special occasions.

3 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

raw fps=/=range

for X energy (which will be the joule limit for your site/gun setup) and assuming your gun can generate sufficient spin heavier ammo will always go further, they also tend to be less affected by wind/leaves etc (although not infallable) leading to better accuracy at range.

however, there are a few reasons why you wouldn't want to go for the heaviest you can get, first and foremost being cost (very much pertinent to this thread)

the other issue is flight time, personally i reckon it's a fair trade for extra range given most folk don't move much, but others might disagree, guess it depends on your playstyle. it is however absolutely possible to fire only to have someone duck out of the way but frankly that can happen on any weight bb. 

mostly it's the expense of them, it's ok for sniping if you don't go through much but only someone very rich or utterly insane would run them in an assault gun (i wish i could say i do it because i'm rich)

mate of mine hasn't had any issues running .32's in his evo, and that's what i run the vast majority of the time in all my guns, but i do like to save up a stash of the heavies for special occasions.

Time to target is actually the metric that matters.  The .30g don't slow down like the slower ones do  and at range it will hit the target faster.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1CvFN-qxnQQhvGCLTwx4KLeJyA1T5_8ZZ

video that explains the testing methods used

• Supporters

Time to target is a metric yes, but not the only metric, other metrics include making it far enough to the target in the first place, hitting the target, and having enough energy for the target to acknowledge the hit.

As they show there is a crossover point, and for example in fast paced cqb lighter is a more solid option because it's cheaper, faster at the ranges you engage at and its limitations at range are irrelevant because you never engage far enough for it to matter.

On the flip side, i regularly use the extra range from heavier ammo to my advantage outdoors, if they cant reach me but i can reach them then its a situation very much in my favour.

Of course .48's are stupid expensive, so i run .3's or .32's almost all the time which is "good enough" for most scenarios.

Archived