Best starter AEG?

Parttimeplinker
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello to all. So I’m just starting out in airsoft and I think it’s safe say I’ve definitely left it late in life to do so. But bad back and shot knees aside I’m looking forward to getting out there and having a go. Can anyone recommend a decent starter AEG. Anything mid budget and easy to work on and reliable. I’ve been having a look around and and think I like the a M4/AR15 or HK416 type. Any help and advice would be welcome. Thanks

• Moderators

whats mid budget???, could be £50 for some but £500 for someone else ;)

Have a look around the pinned topics, like here....

and see if anything helps....

Personally, id go for an ICS AEG, but others will say different, but its my opinion based on my experience and what i had cash wise at the time :) 

Bad back and shot knees? I would suggest something light and short. 

TM Aug High Cycle/P90 High Cycle/M4 Patriot High Cycle would be something a bit different, lightweight, short and is mid priced. 

I would suggest something that balances well.

There is nothing harder to use than a badly balanced gun, Irrespective of weight.

M4/AR15 there's a load of specna arms guns out there that will work very well.

My personal gripe with the M4/AR15 platform is the tacticool looks and balance. The lightweight crane stocks and heavy rail sections on some models can lead to very unwieldy guns. The VFC HK 416 is a prime example of this, Lovely gun but the rail is so heavy and not balanced because you can't get a good-sized battery in it to counterweight it.

The best M4/AR15 platforms for balance are the ones with solid stocks, where you can use a larger battery (personal opinion), For this reason, I would rate the M16 series of guns that are supposed to have solid stocks as being better.

The Classic army M15A1 Vietnam (actually an M16A1) has a lot of features, Is mostly metal and has a MOSFET installed. For £200. It's well balanced and shoots well out of the box. And you can balance it to perfection if needed as there is space at the front and rear for lead weights.

https://extremeairsoft.co.uk/shop/assault-rifles/electric-aeg-rifles/classic-guns/classic-army-m15a1-vietnam-x-series-rifle/

The Aug platform that @Asomodai recommends is also a gun I would recommend, however you have to want that platform. If you have no basic interest in it avoid it. Augs are different, they don't follow the same internal components rules as M4's, and have a habit of getting BB's stuck in the body. Not an issue if you like the gun (I own a few) and love them. If you just want a simple no fuss gun it'll frustrate you.

Same with the P90, Mag compatibility can be really bad at times, and the internals are a different configuration to M4 platforms.

Welcome

I'd suggest the Specna Arms Edge SA-03 (Or any of the Specna Arms Edge range)

M4 Style.  Good internals with MOSFET (electronic trigger control) and shoots very well for the price.

• Supporters

@Iceni speaks a lot of sense there about balance, a badly balanced gun can feel heavier than it should.

A key thing to think about is do you really need a lot of rail real estate? Because theres no point having a bipod, handgrip, torch, peq box and 203 launcher all strapped on there when you dont use them. A couple of short sections at the front end and a sling point is the most you really need.

Likewise adjustable stocks are overrated imo, the original m16 length is a nice balance for the majority of folk and its easier to get used to the 1 length than forever be adjusting it in and out trying to find the "sweet spot". Every time i take a notion and put the adjustable stock back on mine it lasts at most a day before i'm fed up and put the solid stock back on. Not to mention installing batteries of any size is super easy with the little door.

I'm not saying dont get whatever you want and cover it with whatever you want, just that a light handy balanced gun is a much more pleasant experience.

@Iceni <dont know how to delete that on mobile.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
2 hours ago, Iceni said:

I would suggest something that balances well.

There is nothing harder to use than a badly balanced gun, Irrespective of weight.

I think this is honestly something that'll come down to personal preference. I've never given a shit about balance, as long as weight doesn't make it too difficult to hold up. I doubt many others do either considering the glut of short-stock M4s out there.

The AUG you're recommending is equally unbalanced, just to the rear - which can affect things just as significantly.

Thanks for the advice. Very helpful. I think what you guys said about balance make a lot of sense. I’ll be thinking about that going forward. I’m not to concerned about bolting every conceivable option on to the gun. Maybe a forgrip and a red dot sight to get me started. I’ll pop into a airsoft store once my ukara comes through, I think there’s one near me called socom tactical,. and get a feel for a few different options. 

• Moderators

remember, at the end of the day they are only toy guns for firing little plastic bb's, you just need one you are comfy with, put what you want on it or dont, no one can tell you otherwise, you will meet some really serious people who may never leave the safe zone and others who dont care and are there to have fun away from the family!! :) 

i popped into fire support with an idea in my mind and left with something different!....so well worth doing, :)

just enjoy!

24 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

The AUG you're recommending is equally unbalanced, just to the rear - which can affect things just as significantly.

Re-read what I wrote. I never stated the AUG was balanced. And I actually stated avoid it unless it's a gun you actually want. LOL

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco
17 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Re-read what I wrote. I never stated the AUG was balanced. And I actually stated avoid it unless it's a gun you actually want. LOL

Indeed, but you did say that there's nothing worse than an unbalanced gun, which the AUG is. Seemed a bit weird to rant about balance and make it the primary focus, then recommend a bullpup to someone.

44 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

Indeed, but you did say that there's nothing worse than an unbalanced gun, which the AUG is

Only my A3 is unbalanced, I don't use that upper very often, using an A1 or A2 upper regardless of the body.
My A1 and A2 uppers sit with a very slight nose bias. But I think that might be something to do with the lead hot glued into the uppers opposite the cocking handle.

• Head Moderator

Simple.  TM HK416.  Works straight out the box (but do modify it to run on 7.4v LiPo battery and not its bespoke TM Sopmod battery). 

P.S. Welcome :).

2 hours ago, Jedi_Master said:

Simple.  TM HK416.  Works straight out the box (but do modify it to run on 7.4v LiPo battery and not its bespoke TM Sopmod battery). 

P.S. Welcome :).

I really like that gun. A lot. It looks awesome. But I’m just looking to dip my toe in the water before I dive in and that’s a £550 investment. Before batteries and a charger. I’m thinking for a first time purchase I could try and stay below £300 all in. But without ending up with something too basic. It’s funny that you brought it up though because I only just managed to talk myself out of buying a HK416 delta in black. I’ve still got it bookmarked on my phone. 🤔

Personally I would recommend the Specna Arms edge series, too. With your £300 budget you'd have a good AEG for £180 (including 2 120 round mid cap mags and a foregrip), then £20-30 for 2-3 more mags, £10 for a speed loader, £40 for a red dot, £25 for a couple of 7.4V lipo batteries, £20 for a charger which puts you £5 over your budget for everything you'd need (minus ammo and delivery costs). 

Worth going and fondling a load in your local shop. I remember doing that, fondling all manner of platforms and walking out with an AGM Sten. 

Can't really say why. Wasn't a wise purchase, but I liked it. 

50 minutes ago, Heath said:

Personally I would recommend the Specna Arms edge series, too. With your £300 budget you'd have a good AEG for £180 (including 2 120 round mid cap mags and a foregrip), then £20-30 for 2-3 more mags, £10 for a speed loader, £40 for a red dot, £25 for a couple of 7.4V lipo batteries, £20 for a charger which puts you £5 over your budget for everything you'd need (minus ammo and delivery costs). 

I like your recommendations but your charger price is way off talking double that for anything decent and your red dot price is way high. 

red dot https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Airsoft-Holographic-Red-Green-Dot-Sight-Reflex-Scope-4-Reticles-Fit-20mm-Rail/173989147552?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D4b7dde24b196431b9536259d809af04f%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D333477769470%26itm%3D173989147552%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ac3700ef0-377a-11ea-914e-74dbd1800fb0|parentrq%3Aa89167cf16f0abc2f2a58320ff7fbece|iid%3A1

If your budget is £300 I'd value magazines over a red dot anyway even indoors 2 midcaps is only just about viable. 

For £300 you could get a specna and the batteries/charging equipment maybe a speedloader +a few magazines (if you can find stock) 

For simplicity and not worrying if you are buying a fake one of the highly reccomended SKYRC B6AC I'd get this https://www.componentshop.co.uk/accucel-6-digital-charger-with-5a-power-supply.html 

Here are some cheap items that I would pick up in your order as they make charging safer and easier and the recommended charger I mentioned only has a xt30 connector and a specna uses a deans plug and most airsoft guns use a mini tamiya  so you'd really need the harness.  

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/airsoft-battery-charging-harness.html

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/jst-xh-balance-lead-extensions-2s-400mm.html

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/lipo-battery-fireproof-charge-bag-box.html

Add a two 7.4 lipos to the order with the connector required for the gun you want should be about ~£80.  In the future you might need to get a 3s extension balance lead but otherwise just batteries for your new guns. 

34 minutes ago, Musica said:

I like your recommendations but your charger price is way off talking double that for anything decent and your red dot price is way high. 

That's fair enough. For the balance charger I had the ASG balance charger in mind. They're £20 from patrol base. Might not be the best, but they're suitable as a starting point. I've got one and it works well enough although it doesn't have features like setting the battery to a storage voltage. 

Red dot wise you can certainly get cheap ones off amazon and ebay for £10+, but for closer to £40 (possibly with a riser) you're looking at G&G, G&P, ASG, Vector, etc. which may be a bit more durable. As you say they're not necessary and the money is probably better spent elsewhere initially. 

Archived