Nuprol Maintenance Kit

Splodge
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I recently purchased the Nuprol Airsoft Maintenance Kit as I was told it would be a great starter maintenance kit. I've been looking through what it included and have no idea what to use it for. All the guides i've taken a look at use silicone oil and silicone grease (Using a metal slide gbb). It included 'Plastic Lubricant, Oil Remover, Silicone Grease, Gear Grease and Bearing Oil'. Could someone let me know what all this does and if I need to buy anything else. 

Cheers 

The kit is intended for keeping the internal condition of your gearbox/firing mechanism in good nick, making sure all the gears/moving parts stay lubricated and so on.

I can see you've got an AEG rifle and GBB pistol; the best thing you can do, as a new player, with your AEG is to run a cloth patch through the inner barrel after every game to keep it clean. The rest of AEG maintenance includes taking the mechanical gearbox apart, which is a pain in the arse at the best of times and can take a little experience to get everything working as it should - for that reason I would recommend you steer clear of using the kit's contents *for now*.

With regard to the Glock - the silicone grease in the kit would work for keeping it lubricated. Essentially you want to make sure that the specific parts where the slide connects to the frame, are kept lubricated. Any point where metal moves over metal. That way you're reducing wear and keeping performance top-notch.

@Adolf Hamster wrote an excellent guide on how to do basic AEG gearbox maintenance here and I strongly recommend you give that a read before touching your own gun - perhaps consider getting a spare, cheap RIF to learn on - less of an issue when it all goes wrong! ;)

2 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

The kit is intended for keeping the internal condition of your gearbox/firing mechanism in good nick, making sure all the gears/moving parts stay lubricated and so on.

I can see you've got an AEG rifle and GBB pistol; the best thing you can do, as a new player, with your AEG is to run a cloth patch through the inner barrel after every game to keep it clean. The rest of AEG maintenance includes taking the mechanical gearbox apart, which is a pain in the arse at the best of times and can take a little experience to get everything working as it should - for that reason I would recommend you steer clear of using the kit's contents *for now*.

With regard to the Glock - the silicone grease in the kit would work for keeping it lubricated. Essentially you want to make sure that the specific parts where the slide connects to the frame, are kept lubricated. Any point where metal moves over metal. That way you're reducing wear and keeping performance top-notch.

@Adolf Hamster wrote an excellent guide on how to do basic AEG gearbox maintenance here and I strongly recommend you give that a read before touching your own gun - perhaps consider getting a spare, cheap RIF to learn on - less of an issue when it all goes wrong! ;)

Thanks for the quick reply. I've seen people dropping oil into their O rings and other rubber parts. Is that not necessary or will it last a while without? 

1 minute ago, Splodge said:

Thanks for the quick reply. I've seen people dropping oil into their O rings and other rubber parts. Is that not necessary or will it last a while without? 

NP

Silicon oil can actually degrade the rubber in o-rings depending on which rubber is used, I think - someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally I never do any of that and my GBBPs still work fine. The best thing you can do with regard to mag maintenance is make sure you squirt a little bit of gas into the mag before putting it into storage. You don't have to put loads in, just enough so that you can't press the valve knocker in without resistance.

Keeping gas in the mag will exert pressure on the o-rings, press them against what they're meant to be sealing etc. meaning they don't dry up or shrink as easily.

33 minutes ago, Splodge said:

I only drop oil in the mag if it's leaking and it usually fixes it. 

30 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

NP

Silicon oil can actually degrade the rubber in o-rings depending on which rubber is used, I think - someone else can correct me if I'm wrong.

Personally I never do any of that and my GBBPs still work fine. The best thing you can do with regard to mag maintenance is make sure you squirt a little bit of gas into the mag before putting it into storage. You don't have to put loads in, just enough so that you can't press the valve knocker in without resistance.

Keeping gas in the mag will exert pressure on the o-rings, press them against what they're meant to be sealing etc. meaning they don't dry up or shrink as easily.

Pretty sure your wrong on the oil as all green gas gas oil mixed in with it. 

You are spot on for storing the magazines gassed up and if you want to be extra sure store them with abbey maintenance gas in them. 

• Supporters

tbh for the most part aeg's maintain themselves pretty well, a lot of the things i find lacking in gearboxes tends to be poor manufacturing, a well made gun even after years of use can be perfectly fine.

what i'd say is more important is having a good range of proper good quality tools, there really is a difference between an off the shelf alan key set and a set of proper hex drivers with ground tips.

at the very basic level i'd say:

a 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3mm hex drivers (i use EDS but other brands are available)

a set of philips and flat head screwdrivers in various sizes

a pin punch set

and some proper needle nose pliers/side cutters

apart from that the next main thing i'd rely on is my box o'bits (well, boxes), having a stash of random bolts/nuts/screws for example saves tremendous headache when you lose something, i don't know if there's any decent kits out there to buy, my stash is sort of accumulated over the years.

58 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

tbh for the most part aeg's maintain themselves pretty well, a lot of the things i find lacking in gearboxes tends to be poor manufacturing, a well made gun even after years of use can be perfectly fine.

what i'd say is more important is having a good range of proper good quality tools, there really is a difference between an off the shelf alan key set and a set of proper hex drivers with ground tips.

at the very basic level i'd say:

a 1.5, 2, 2.5 and 3mm hex drivers (i use EDS but other brands are available)

a set of philips and flat head screwdrivers in various sizes

a pin punch set

and some proper needle nose pliers/side cutters

apart from that the next main thing i'd rely on is my box o'bits (well, boxes), having a stash of random bolts/nuts/screws for example saves tremendous headache when you lose something, i don't know if there's any decent kits out there to buy, my stash is sort of accumulated over the years.

Yeah. I've got a nice kit of screwdriver and whatnot from PC building. Figured that'd get me by

4 hours ago, Adolf Hamster said:

a pin punch set

after just needing these and not having any I will be getting a set very useful for evo and I know I need one for my hi-capas magwell.

Silicone is not a good lubricant for metal on metal. It can actually lead to galling of slides on frames over time.

Teflon based oils and greases are better for gbbs. Superlube Synthetic grease or synthetic oil is recommended. Silicone is the best lubricant for plastic on plastic and plastic on  metal,  and for o rings in guns and magazines.

I am clueless about aegs. If mine went wrong I would take it to somebody. 

Archived