Helmet for Big Heads

Marf83

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

I I have a fairly large head, 60cm (ish) & I’m struggling to find a fast type helmet that fits comfortably. I have bought & returned 4 now. I have kept a Nuprol fast helmet as it is just about doable with no extra padding in, on the loosest setting. Although I do get a headache after I’ve been playing for a bit. 

has anyone got any suggestions on what & where to buy.

thanks a lot

I have a huge melon and struggled to find one that fits ok... This one fits perfectly.

Not a FAST type helmet, but AirFrame one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DRHRZVZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Supporters

He's not joking, this was him at his last gameday 😜

soldier_bobblehead.png

Thanks guys, very helpful. I have just been sent a link to this...any experience?

https://www.tacticalxmen.com/products/fma-caiman-tactical-helmet-for-52-62-head-circumference

• Supporters

The FMA Fast in XL fits my 62cm swede. The FMA EXF bump (Team Wendy copy) fits well mostly due to the different shell shape and significantly better retention system (the boa system knock the OCC dial adjuster out the park). The largest of the FMA Maritimes just about fits me but your mileage may vary. Airframes do seem to be built for bigger heads but personally I just think they look ridiculous.

Lozart that’s a great help thanks. I’ve just ordered an FMA fast XL in a-tacs ix...beauty. Thanks again

• 4 weeks later...

I havnt bothered to look for a helmet to fit my gigantic head (64cm ish) do they actually make them that big or am I just cutting out a very large watermelon to fit over it? 😅

26 minutes ago, Ryfoolz said:

I havnt bothered to look for a helmet to fit my gigantic head (64cm ish) do they actually make them that big or am I just cutting out a very large watermelon to fit over it? 😅

FMA Airframe will fit you with no issues. 

11 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

FMA Airframe will fit you with no issues. 

The real one or a replica? Would you happen to have a link as my googling skills on a Sunday night are well below what they should be 😜

52 minutes ago, Ryfoolz said:

The real one or a replica? Would you happen to have a link as my googling skills on a Sunday night are well below what they should be 😜

Either, they are both massive. I have a 63cm diameter head and theres plenty more room. 

https://www.thornextactical.co.uk/products/fma-airframe-style-helmet-dark-earth

7 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Either, they are both massive. I have a 63cm diameter head and theres plenty more room. 

https://www.thornextactical.co.uk/products/fma-airframe-style-helmet-dark-earth

Thank you so much! Very helpful will be buying one of these now! Me and my buddy check all your reviews of the sites of the south east and have found them very useful when planning trips! 

12 minutes ago, Ryfoolz said:

Thank you so much! Very helpful will be buying one of these now! Me and my buddy check all your reviews of the sites of the south east and have found them very useful when planning trips! 

No problem mate

Glad to be of service.

Gunfire have the FMA Airframe on offer for about 30 euros a time at the moment. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a tac-on question that's somewhat relevant but tell me to bugger off if it's a hijack - I have some active earpro so I can still hear things but the pyro doesn't set off my tinnitus. I don't really want to have to fork out on another set to wear with a helmet.

My head is about 58cm I think (my tape measure isn't very handy for heads) - Would a regular headset fit under most of the helmets suggested, or would I HAVE to splurge on one that can be mounted to, or converted to mount to, side rails?

• Supporters
On 24/01/2020 at 20:43, KirbyHCI said:

I have a tac-on question that's somewhat relevant but tell me to bugger off if it's a hijack - I have some active earpro so I can still hear things but the pyro doesn't set off my tinnitus. I don't really want to have to fork out on another set to wear with a helmet.

My head is about 58cm I think (my tape measure isn't very handy for heads) - Would a regular headset fit under most of the helmets suggested, or would I HAVE to splurge on one that can be mounted to, or converted to mount to, side rails?

Most FAST style helmets will work, the high cut ones more so as they are specifically designed to work with headsets. You just need to remove the pads in the helmet where the headset sits.

On 27/01/2020 at 13:36, Lozart said:

Most FAST style helmets will work, the high cut ones more so as they are specifically designed to work with headsets. You just need to remove the pads in the helmet where the headset sits.

I assume ones with individual padding bits that tend to cost a tiny bit more rather than a cheapo with a skate style foam all-inside lining would be better for that use-case.

• Supporters
On 02/02/2020 at 04:37, KirbyHCI said:

I assume ones with individual padding bits that tend to cost a tiny bit more rather than a cheapo with a skate style foam all-inside lining would be better for that use-case.

Yes, I usually buy the FMA ones because they a) fit better and b) are far more adjustable with individual pads etc. The Emerson/Nuprol ones that just have a solid liner are properly gash.

• 2 years later...

Hello all, sorry to revive this thread. I'm desperately trying to find a helmet for a large head. Not exactly sure on my size, I reckon 62-63cm. I have a nuprol fast thing and it's fine for the first 30mins, after which I get a dreadful headache. I'm looking through the recommendations here and can't find any in stock anywhere, does anyone have any help to offer? Really want to find something

1 hour ago, Dragoon said:

Hello all, sorry to revive this thread. I'm desperately trying to find a helmet for a large head. Not exactly sure on my size, I reckon 62-63cm. I have a nuprol fast thing and it's fine for the first 30mins, after which I get a dreadful headache. I'm looking through the recommendations here and can't find any in stock anywhere, does anyone have any help to offer? Really want to find something

Cant have been looking that hard! 

A quick google search brings up my suggestion as in stock. 

FMA AirFrame Style Helmet – Dark Earth | Coldbore Airsoft

FMA AirFrame Style Helmet | Great Quality | 3 Colours (socomtactical.net)

Edited by Asomodai

That's helpful thank you, I had seen those but neither mention the size and I believe these come in a M-L and L-XL size, wasn't sure which they were selling. Or are the airframe's all the same size? If so i'll grab one, are both of these sites known?

I also need to find some cover for it which seem scarce too. Whole reason I want a helmet is to fit my exfog, so need some velcro around the back.

Edited by Dragoon

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Dragoon said:

That's helpful thank you, I had seen those but neither mention the size and I believe these come in a M-L and L-XL size, wasn't sure which they were selling. Or are the airframe's all the same size? If so i'll grab one, are both of these sites known?

I also need to find some cover for it which seem scarce too. Whole reason I want a helmet is to fit my exfog, so need some velcro around the back.

TMC make covers for the Airframe style hemets.

Also worth looking at the FMA FTP bump in L/XL. If you take a look at FMA.hk they do actually give the head sizes they go up to. I have a 62cm noggin so I feel your pain, I have the L/XL Wendy knock off and its definitely a better fit. That said, my FMA PJ style FAST (the one with the oval vent holes) fits really well too in the L/XL size.

3 hours ago, Dragoon said:

FMA Airframes are all the same size. 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

FMA Airframes are all the same size. 

No, they're not. http://www.fma.hk/helmet-tb402-p-1249.html size info in the description at the bottom. 

4 hours ago, Lozart said:

No, they're not. http://www.fma.hk/helmet-tb402-p-1249.html size info in the description at the bottom. 

That's odd. Mine came with no size differential and mine fits my 62/63cm noggin with plenty of room to spare despite the largest size on the site saying 61cm. 

I stand corrected. 

I have found this Ops Core helmet that will fit a 63cm head. 

Ops Core Green Od Fg Swat Tactical Maritime Abs Helmet Jump Rail L/Xl (lonex.co.uk)

Edited by Asomodai

1 hour ago, Asomodai said:

That's odd. Mine came with no size differential and mine fits my 62/63cm noggin with plenty of room to spare despite the largest size on the site saying 61cm. 

I stand corrected. 

I have found this Ops Core helmet that will fit a 63cm head. 

Ops Core Green Od Fg Swat Tactical Maritime Abs Helmet Jump Rail L/Xl (lonex.co.uk)

A friend's head size is around 65cm, do you reckon it would stretch to that? He's been looking for years to find a helmet that actually fits!

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.