TM HK416 Rail Upgrade

Marf83
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi Guys,

so I have had my TM 416 devgru for a while & im looking to upgrade/change the front rail, mainly due to the chunky feel of the TM one. I have had a look online & seen options from Dytac & Hao being reviewed which look good. I bought a dytac rem style rail, unfortunately it ended up being too long (13.5”, rather than 10” as stated).

the shop I bought it from didn’t seem to know whether they could get a 10” one so I have been looking myself & pretty much drawn a blank. 

I have 2 questions:

1) Should I/how easy is it to change the overall length of the gun? Is it as easy as me keeping the new rail & buying a new inner & outer barrel. What about the gas bits?

2) what rails have you guys put on? What should I buy & where from.

thanks in advance

Marf83

1. Making a gun longer is much easier than making it shorter, because when you're lengthening the outer barrel there's no requirement to extend the inner barrel too, and because you can just screw a barrel extension onto the existing outer to make it the length you want, so there's no requirement to change the outer barrel either. This is exactly what the basic HK416D does: it has a nearly identical 10.5" outer barrel, and a literally identical 275mm inner barrel, to your DEVGRU. The only thing that's different is Included with the HK416D is a 4" screw-on barrel extension to bring the outer barrel length up to the standard 14.5". The manufacturer's part number for the barrel extension is HK416-7; bear in mind that Eagle6's pricing reflects the fact that this is a genuine TM part from a disassembled gun. Similar parts are made by a variety of manufacturers at varying price points; here's a cheap DBoys one, for example.
  2. If you can't find the RAHG in stock anywhere, there's also Geissele SMR replicas. KIC still have the 10.5" rails in stock in black and "FDE" (looks gold to me).

To make the gun longer you just screw the extension on instead of the flash hider. If you absolutely must have your 14.5" outer barrel be one-piece I have a SOPMOD one I'm not using. I literally swapped mine out for a (custom made steel version) of the 10.5"/14.5" system. There's no need for you to change the inner barrel if you extend the outer, so there's no need for you to go fiddling around in the gearbox for volume matching or disassembling the hop-up to install a new inner. Again, if you absolutely must have your inner barrel be the full 363mm (which means you'll have to swap to the matching full cylinder), I have SOPMOD ones I'm not using because I swapped in a 275mm inner barrel when I went to the 10.5"/14.5" two-part outer barrel.

I guess you're balancing three options:

1. Keep the existing rail, buy the barrel extension, be done with it. By far the cheapest and easiest, but makes your gun quite noticeably longer, especially in CQB or when you have a suppressor on the end.
  2. Keep the existing rail, buy the inner, outer and cylinder from me, install them instead. Cheap, but you're not gaining very much - maybe a few FPS that would be much more easily gained with a stronger spring - and you have the same handling issues as option 1. I can't really see the point of this.
  3. Buy a new 10.5" rail, sell the existing rail, and probably lose a bit of cash in the process. Probably the most expensive, but it keeps the gun at its handy 10.5" length.

Pure silver you legend, thank you very much for your reply it helped me out considerably. I have purchased the 10.5” rail from the website you linked (which I had never heard of). I really didn’t want to compromise the length as I play a real mixture of environments.

thanks again much appreciated

Archived