Owning many pew pews but only a few ever get used

Luke85
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Im in the fortunate position of having a decent sized collection of plastic slingers, and its ever growing. I very rarely use any of them beyond my Marui Scar recoil shock and a pistol as a side arm though. On the rare occasion I play with one of the others I always enjoy it, especially my shotguns, they always are great fun, it just rarely happens. My gear and loadout is all built specifically around my Scar, and its such a great plastic slinger I find it really hard to put down and run another gun for a game day...or even a round. Just wondering if anyone else has this rather fortunate predicament, and if so what do you do to mix things up with your collection as much as possible. Anyone else find it hard to put down their favourite gun for a day and run something a bit different for a change? 

Interesting topic! 🤔

i currently own 10, also planning on getting a few more, then I’m done! 😜

I tend to take as many as I feel like running for a Skirmish. I also mix it up on the day, so I get the most out of it (same goes for my gear and BDU’s), I like to have fun and set challenges for myself! 

For example this Sunday, I ran 3 🔫’S, all used in different rounds:

E&L AKS-74U (13 😵)

KTW Winchester Carbine (1 😵)

Shoot & Scoot Lee Enfield (1 🔪)

It’s like that saying “You get what you pay for”, but I always add “How much can you get out of it?” 😎

This is my experience and my opinion. 

💷GAMBLE💷

Same sort of boat myself, though I do tend to rotate my rifles to whichever was last worked on to see that it actually works in the field! 

My wife and I will be having a bash at having kids soon so I may have to quit for a couple of years. Hope all my stuff will be ok in the loft in the mean time! 

• Supporters

my collection isn't that massively expansive, but i do get the problem.

generally the issue i have is that having 1 gun that has through obsession over the years become superbly accurate and reliable, and it can be hard transitioning to my other guns as a result.

however they do get used, often as a backup or to lend out to folk who are having technical difficulties. it's always good to keep at least 1 reliable aeg around.

just like the op though, i do tend to enjoy my other guns when i run them, the jg aksu tends to be my go to for a bit lighter loadout (gun is lighter and no hpa tanks either).

Yes but I actively flog the ones I can't justify.  I think every airsofter goes through this phase of buying stuff then slimming the collection down again.

I have 4 RIFs (5 including the Mk23)

Considering one is a bolty, two are tournament guns and one is an arp9, I don't really have this problem since they all have a theoretical purpose.

Truth is, I always bring the ARP + one of the ARs (tournament guns) as a backup.

Last Sunday I took the 2 ARs because I wanted to try a new tournament loadout. This Sunday I'll bring the bolty + mk23 (keeping the ARP in the car as a backup) because I want to try a new sniper rig configuration.

I'll then bring the ARP + one AR to try the arp midcaps + insert (if possible). If not, just the ARP.

In any case I still bring AT LEAST 2 rigs every Sunday. And end up using the same one over and over.

The thing is, I DO have your problem, but with rigs rather than guns. :(

59 minutes ago, Asomodai said:

Same sort of boat myself, though I do tend to rotate my rifles to whichever was last worked on to see that it actually works in the field! 

My wife and I will be having a bash at having kids soon so I may have to quit for a couple of years. Hope all my stuff will be ok in the loft in the mean time! 

Hold on, aren't kids and RIFs the same?

I have my new sniper, my old sniper and a backup sniper for a "main" weapon.

I then have my "new" pistol, my old pistol and an Mk23 which has just been demoted to the kitbox as it just won't work.

So primary and backup, secondary and backup with an extra BASR thrown in that will soon be being sold off due to not wanting duplicates.

I don't even own an AEG any more.

I'm up to 6 long guns & 2 pistols atm....and was seriously considering my first TM rifle over the weekend....but considering how much i've put into my ICS in mods. (Yet to play it due to negative lead snapping on sun) and how good my G&G TopTech 416 clone is running and how awesome the Mk46 ran on Sunday as well. (The Nuprol & older ICS don't get used..and my MP5SD6 is for cqb only)

I can't really justify £600+ on a new gun atm...even though I want one, and if I bought it..then the others would just sit there and then i'd have to arse about and sell the rest..which I don't want to do as they're MY guns.. lol

• Supporters
13 minutes ago, Skara said:

The thing is, I DO have your problem, but with rigs rather than guns. :(

see i had this problem, a different rig+pistol setup for each rifle, but these days i just run the smersh and makarov.

it's not the speediest loadout, but practically i dont mind the slower reloads, you just reload pre-emptively and keep the pistol for the "they're kinda close" moments. at least you know your mag will  be there when you need it and keeping the same rig keeps the same movements.

18 minutes ago, Skara said:

Hold on, aren't kids and RIFs the same?

Thats right, little bobby and Jessica will be shifted to the loft as well. 

• Supporters
5 minutes ago, E21A said:

Just leave the scar at home. Take some of the others. You’ve got no choice but to use them then! 😂

this is what i do sometimes, take only the guns that havent seen some love in a while.

although the jg will likely be next up, she's just had a rebuild and once i get the wiring sorted i'll be itching to give her a go.

• Supporters

Fact a lot of angry keyboard-warrior thriftmongers don't want you to know - you're allowed to just own stuff just because you want to own it, you don't necessarily have to 'justify' it in any way, shape or form.

59 minutes ago, E21A said:

Just leave the scar at home. Take some of the others. You’ve got no choice but to use them then! 😂

Its crossed my mind 😁

Though it might feel like when you leave your dog at a kennel. My Scar watching all confused and sad as I drive off to a game day without it.

This thread reminds me I need to get rid of some pew pews sat in the attic unused and likely never will be that weren’t fully thought through purchases. 

But @TheFull9 I do agree people may get jealous of others choices based on differing circumstances which is sad in an honour based hobby. Human nature I guess.

• Moderators

ive a few and usually take 3 to a day, may swap at lunch but it does depend on where i am as i can DMR morning is lazy and in the woods and CQB so swap to another for the afternoon shoot out....would be easier with probably just  :lol:

• Supporters
2 hours ago, PopRocket123 said:

I try to have a different role in mind for every gun. That and I have set up my gear to be as adaptable to different guns as possible

I do the same thing with gear.  I used to attach TACOs on my plate carriers and have multiple chest rigs for different mag types, but over the past few years I sold off a lot of kit and replaced/upgraded all my PCs and CRs with kit that can accept either Spiritus micro fights or other placards which in turn accept inserts for all common types of magazines (556, 308, 9mm metal and 9mm plastic).  I've only got multiple rigs for different colour options, but I think the Spiritus or some copy/variant is the best and most economical kit choice for the airsofter who wants to own (for example) an M4, SCAR-H, MP5 and Scorpion Evo.  You can even get a zip to close up the entire pouch and pop a few sniper rifle mags in there, or just run it with pistol mag inserts for those sidearm-as-a-primary games.

1 hour ago, TheFull9 said:

I do the same thing with gear.  I used to attach TACOs on my plate carriers and have multiple chest rigs for different mag types, but over the past few years I sold off a lot of kit and replaced/upgraded all my PCs and CRs with kit that can accept either Spiritus micro fights or other placards which in turn accept inserts for all common types of magazines (556, 308, 9mm metal and 9mm plastic).  I've only got multiple rigs for different colour options, but I think the Spiritus or some copy/variant is the best and most economical kit choice for the airsofter who wants to own (for example) an M4, SCAR-H, MP5 and Scorpion Evo.  You can even get a zip to close up the entire pouch and pop a few sniper rifle mags in there, or just run it with pistol mag inserts for those sidearm-as-a-primary games.

I run a WAS RPC so I can use the interchangeable front panels with a taco rifle pouch and pistol pouch's on my belt. I currently have a couple of holsters I can swap between but I'm looking at getting one that attaches to the torch so as long as I run the same torch on my pistols they'll all fit 

• Supporters

That is quite literally exactly what I used to do, does work well no doubt.

Speaking to all readers here - The advantage to the Spiritus system by comparison to that is you can have just 1 placard and a bunch of cheap and very small/slim inserts to swap in to that placard and you've got basically all mag types covered.  Then if you buy another colour rig with compatible panel you've already got all the necessary inserts right there and ready to use.  Personally I was limited on storage space so that's the route I went down.

Are you a Spiritus Systems affiliate by any chance? :P

My main rig (Helikon TMR) is pretty much universal. Accepts M4, AK and pistol mags and soon will accept SMG mags as well due to Velcro inserts.

Doesn't have the customization capabilities of the MK4 chassis, but the way it's set up is perfect for my needs :)

If I didn't buy the TMR I would have definitely gone for the MK4. The genuine one, not the shitty repros.

oh, by the way, with some strips of male (hook) Velcro you can literally make your own inserts :)

We turned this thread into a shameless SS promotion xD

• Supporters
2 hours ago, Skara said:

Are you a Spiritus Systems affiliate by any chance? :P

I am the forum shill, been outed for it already.

I did say spiritus or equivalent a few times though for good reason.  HSP chest rigs, Helikon, spiritus clones etc all do the same thing in airsoft.

Archived