Raptor PKP build advice

Wo1f

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Building myself a support gun to keep those pesky speedsofters at bay when they venture into the woods. I've ordered a Raptor PKP which is essentially an A&K PKM with some furniture changes. To start with I've ordered the bullgear CNC hop chamber and the bullgear mag insert. I plan on running it till it pops, but when it does i want the parts ready to build it up better than ever. Due to having a silly long barrel (509) I'm thinking of a bore up cylinder set and a 6.03 to bring the air ratio to a somewhat better level; especially after adding a sorbo to dampen the impact and correct AOE. Is there any issues with doing this? I know they're supposed to be V2 compatible, but I've read stuff about nozzle lengths being a problem. 

Any other upgrades or suggestions? similar LMG builds?

• Supporters

can't say i'm that familiar with them, mate of mine has the pkm version which he guards more preciously than gollum guards the one ring (seriously it's scary), but aside from the box mag it's never had any issues i'm aware of.

also know a fella has the pkp and whilst he's not had it long i dont think he's had any issues besides leaving a trail of murdered batteries in his wake.

wouldn't be surprised if it's standard enough internals in there, but couldnt call that for sure. a basic mosfet might not be a bad idea to save the contacts under sustained fire.

I'm looking into a mosfet now as i plan on running the largest battery i can fit in the bullgear mag insert. Not sure on the dimensions so ill have to wait till it arrives before i buy a battery.

With regards the air nozzles, people seem to have luck with MP5K nozzles.  Have a lonex model one in my PKM. 

The bullgear insert is a very nice piece of kit, provides plenty of space. Fits 3800Mah lipos and life batteries with ease.

One thing I would suggest is to pick up a replacement microswitch or two, when you're ordering parts. Convenient to have them to spare. 

Down the line if it becomes your favourite AEG, you could always invest in a retro arms gearbox.

14 hours ago, DerDer said:

With regards the air nozzles, people seem to have luck with MP5K nozzles.  Have a lonex model one in my PKM. 

The bullgear insert is a very nice piece of kit, provides plenty of space. Fits 3800Mah lipos and life batteries with ease.

One thing I would suggest is to pick up a replacement microswitch or two, when you're ordering parts. Convenient to have them to spare. 

Down the line if it becomes your favourite AEG, you could always invest in a retro arms gearbox.

It will be my only AEG as I run gbbr’s. I’ll pick up some micro switches 👍.

dont suppose you have the dimensions of the battery compartment on the bullgear insert?

Gate X-ASR is a great little FET for that use.

For a simple setup don't worry about the outer barrel length, run a full cylinder (which it prob has stock) or even better a type 1 cylinder, with a 350 barrel.

1 hour ago, Davegolf said:

Gate X-ASR is a great little FET for that use.

For a simple setup don't worry about the outer barrel length, run a full cylinder (which it prob has stock) or even better a type 1 cylinder, with a 350 barrel.

That’s a lot of empty outer barrel though. Won’t that be an issue?

5 hours ago, Wo1f said:

It will be my only AEG as I run gbbr’s. I’ll pick up some micro switches 👍.

dont suppose you have the dimensions of the battery compartment on the bullgear insert?

Rough measurements, because my measuring tape is a bit knackered. Height: 5.6cm Breadth: 17.8cm Width: 3.2cm. 

Gives you an estimate. 

20191201_192537.jpg

20191201_192557.jpg

20191201_192646.jpg

15 minutes ago, DerDer said:

Rough measurements, because my measuring tape is a bit knackered. Height: 5.6cm Breadth: 17.8cm Width: 3.2cm. 

Gives you an estimate. 

20191201_192537.jpg

20191201_192557.jpg

20191201_192646.jpg

You’re a legend. Off to battery shop now 

5 minutes ago, DerDer said:

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy your new AEG

I’ll let you know once I get a battery 😂. Turns out an 11.1 5000 mah will fit 

• 4 months later...

Hi @Wo1f, I was just wondering how you got on with the Raptor PKP in the end? I'm looking at buying one myself and I was curious what you thought of it overall? If possible please can you provide a bit of a review?

As it stands I'm torn between this or an RPK from LCT due to the reduced weight and increased mobility resulting from the reduction.

On 22/04/2020 at 09:54, FreeFrag.UK said:

Hi @Wo1f, I was just wondering how you got on with the Raptor PKP in the end? I'm looking at buying one myself and I was curious what you thought of it overall? If possible please can you provide a bit of a review?

As it stands I'm torn between this or an RPK from LCT due to the reduced weight and increased mobility resulting from the reduction.

I’ve not managed to use it much yet to be honest with all of this corona crap. Build quality is good externally and internally it’s an A&K which are quite robust. Its VERY heavy though and quite awkward to hold because the width of the box mag makes it difficult to position your left arm on the grip. I’ve currently put a bullgear cnc hop chamber in it which is a VAST improvement on the standard and a the bullgear mag insert which has a stronger, adjustable feed motor and better designed space. The gun currently holds 7500 rounds. 

never had the rpk, but they’re like a big AK so ease of use will be much better. Having said that... won’t it be a V3 gearbox? They aren’t build for sustained rate of fire like the 249/pkm gearboxes. 

@Wo1f thank you for the feedback and info, it's really appreciated. I've seen the real PKM/PKP used and from what I've seen if they have to fire on the move it does look to be quite awkward and quite a strain on the wrist as they seem to use their off-hand to support the box mag. The other method I've seen (and I'm guessing this is down to reach) is to grip one of the bi-pod legs when it's in the deployed position. This is assuming rails aren't added for a foregrip.

It sounds as though you've pumped a lot of money into the build so far, out of curiosity would you be willing to divulge a ballpark figure on what it's cost to this point? The ammo capacity is astounding.

The RPK will just be a bog standard version 3 gearbox but I'd probably look at replacing internals with harder wearing components and my LCT's have proven to be very well made but as you say sustained fire is a very different scenario. Out of curiosity what makes the 249/PKM gearboxes more hard wearing/more suited to sustained fire? Surely the internals are much the same?

In terms of ergonomics I believe the RPK-74 is a tad shorter, significantly lighter and, from what I've seen, it's perfectly viable to put a rail upfront for a foregrip.

@FreeFrag.UK gun was just shy of £600. The mag insert/motor was £100, hop chamber was about £45 and the 5000mah 11.1 cost about the same. It’s literally been built and shelved😂

it’s more the shell itself that’s robust. Normal gearboxes usually snap at the front under lots of sustained fire or high FPS. V2 gearboxes in particular were notorious for breaking over 400 FPS. The a&k is a brick of a gearbox shell so it should take the repetitive impacts/vibration better. 

want any more info or pics, just let me know. 

@Wo1f - Thank you for the info, it's definitely appreciated and helps to put things in perspective a bit especially in terms of budgeting. Admittedly the £100 to bring the mag up to a point of being reliable is a bit disconcerting.

That makes sense although to be honest if I were to go the RPK route it would be set for 350fps simply to comply with the majority of sites and event organisers in combination with being able to seize advantage of the RPK's semi-auto function in the event things move indoors.

I've only seen it on one review but one thing which really concerns me about investing in the Raptor PKP is the receiver being aluminium while the front section is Raptor's steel configuration. In this particular review the reviewer highlighted some free movement (only a small amount of play) between the receiver and front end but due to the difference in materials it struck me that this could potentially become a significant issue. Is this something you've noticed or spotted? I know there's every chance that the reviewer received a bit of a lemon. Apologies if this end sup generating concern for yourself.

A well setup airbrake build would take loads of shock away from the gearbox case for serious sustained fire.

Stick to a realistic rate of fire and use phos bronze bushings, as are self lubricating and surface hardening by nature so take a right beating too / aka not dependant on grease so much.

Cool running motor and a nice gearset.

18 hours ago, FreeFrag.UK said:

@Wo1f - Thank you for the info, it's definitely appreciated and helps to put things in perspective a bit especially in terms of budgeting. Admittedly the £100 to bring the mag up to a point of being reliable is a bit disconcerting.

That makes sense although to be honest if I were to go the RPK route it would be set for 350fps simply to comply with the majority of sites and event organisers in combination with being able to seize advantage of the RPK's semi-auto function in the event things move indoors.

I've only seen it on one review but one thing which really concerns me about investing in the Raptor PKP is the receiver being aluminium while the front section is Raptor's steel configuration. In this particular review the reviewer highlighted some free movement (only a small amount of play) between the receiver and front end but due to the difference in materials it struck me that this could potentially become a significant issue. Is this something you've noticed or spotted? I know there's every chance that the reviewer received a bit of a lemon. Apologies if this end sup generating concern for yourself.

Is the raptor aluminium? I’ve just tested mine with an old shs motor and the only thing not steel seems to be the ‘gas system’ at the bottom that is A&K’s rate of fire adjuster, which isn’t wired in on the raptor as it’s a stupid design. (Basically a resistor. Uses the same amount of battery but turns the energy into useless heat instead of cycling the gun.) 

ive no play or wobbles in mine, but it is literally brand new, so maybe it will come with time?

For whatever reason it isn’t letting me select from my album pics I’ve took doing the magnet test...  if you’re interested send me a PM and I’ll WhatsApp them to you or something 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.