Airsoft kit that's just WRONG ?

Tackle
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

1 minute ago, Cromulon1994 said:

Plate carriers with plates in them.

It's one thing not having an interest in something.  It's another thing saying there is no place for it in airsoft.

For instance I think people hanging "gun charms" off their guns is lame but I don't care if others want to do it.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Go Pros or cameras of any variety.  Turning a sport into a pissing contest about ego 

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, Skara said:

Low caps.

Airsoft isn't real steel, it's not even in the same solar system. They may be OK if you're using airsoft guns as a training to real steel shooting. But they're a complete waste of money for anything else.

Ahah, but have you played where everyone is using them, not mids either, just lo's, makes players actually "Think", something that's a bit of a rarity, & does make it interesting.

although, turn up at a game where everybody is using them......great, but turn up at a game where everybody SHOULD be using them, only to find you & your group of mates are the only ones with lo's.......that sucks big time, felt like the english at Rorkes Drift 🤕

IMG_4918.PNG

44 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Ahah, but have you played where everyone is using them, not mids either, just lo's, makes players actually "Think", something that's a bit of a rarity, & does make it interesting.

although, turn up at a game where everybody is using them......great, but turn up at a game where everybody SHOULD be using them, only to find you & your group of mates are the only ones with lo's.......that sucks big time, felt like the english at Rorkes Drift 🤕

Nah.

We've discussed this already some time ago, but to keep it short, there are two sides.

The first one wants them mandatory, because "reeeeee git aim" and think their guns can hit a coin 10/10 times at 60+ metres and are 101% sure the target will call it even if he doesn't feel it.

The other actually uses that grey sponge and realizes that no matter how well set-up a gun is, it still fires tiny lightweight round plastic pellets that get pushed out of the way by a dog's fart. Or a leaf. Or that lonely pine needle.

There is no "think" because physics > "think" every day of the year.

Again, I get it for training purposes.

From a more practical point of view, though, they are useless.

Anyway, let me add 40mm shower grenades to my list of useless things.

9 minutes ago, Skara said:

There is no "think" because physics > "think" every day of the year.

I agree to a point but in CQB it's moot - BBs will go 99% of where you want them to go. For that reason I think Lowcap (or real-cap!) are perfectly viable and I'd love to go to a game similar to what Tackle describes.

You are totally right for thick woodland though.

• Supporters

hicaps, fuck winding, i mean seriously screw that shit.

literally any new m4 variant, please just stop rehashing that platform, especially if it's got a 2" barrel, yes i know length doesnt matter i use a makarov but jesus the number of kids with arps and no concept of overkill is getting grating

any product novritsch makes

ghillie suits, never seen them actually, y'know, work

ridiculous scope risers, seriously i've seen dudes stack that shit until the sight is nearly a foot away from the barrel, and not even in a humerous way

glocks, seriously, dont get me wrong if i had to bet my life on a firearm i'd take the boring austrian box but this is airsoft can we have some more imagination please.

any p90 feeding system that isnt a p90 magazine

any box mag that's not for an actual support gun (yes i know an arp with a drum mag is fun but cmonnnnn)

40mm tubes with shower shells/40 mikes, because that's a shitload of weight to hang off your gun to be absolutely useless unless the target is close enough for using it to count as a dick move

bipods, not that i have anything against bipods, i like them and occasionally try and use them, but in the field you rarely seem to get the time in a given position to fuck around and get it set in a manner that'll actually let you hit anything making it kinda useless weight on the end of the gun

reusable grenades, because if it's a bfg it'll get nicked and i challenge you to find me a gas powered one that actually works, which is a shame because they'd be bloody useful on occasion.

suppressors on blowback pistols, because they have enough trouble cycling properly without adding weight on the end and you just know someone's put a longer barrel in "because it makes it more accurate". granted on an nbb they are actually useful.

land mines- great in theory, they sometimes even work, but when they arent fragging your team mates (because it doesnt matter how much you try and tell them they'll walk straight into that shit) whoever stands on it doesn't call it

thats all i can think of for now.

Crap guns. Seriously if it doesn't work don't sell it, it's that simple. This is especially true for gas guns, GBBRs even more so due to often the lack of parts compatibility so if it's crap and isn't popular enough for aftermarket parts then you're screwed

• Supporters
6 minutes ago, PopRocket123 said:

Crap guns. Seriously if it doesn't work don't sell it, it's that simple. This is especially true for gas guns, GBBRs even more so due to often the lack of parts compatibility so if it's crap and isn't popular enough for aftermarket parts then you're screwed

It's a bit of a joke really, who designs/builds/sells a gbbr (or AEG) that in order for it to work as it should, you the buyer have got to invest more time & money "upgrading" it ?.

You wouldn't buy a new car in the full knowledge that it's not great, but you can improve it by throwing money at it.

We must be bonkers 🤪

22 minutes ago, Tackle said:

It's a bit of a joke really, who designs/builds/sells a gbbr (or AEG) that in order for it to work as it should, you the buyer have got to invest more time & money "upgrading" it ?.

You wouldn't buy a new car in the full knowledge that it's not great, but you can improve it by throwing money at it.

We must be bonkers 🤪

I've been looking at getting a new GBBR recently and you're pretty much limited to an MWS or GHK if you want something that's going to be usable out of the box

I'm the polariser with some of these others I fully agree with:

Dead rags, useful if everyone is is aware of them and uses their eyes; when on a milsim etc. and training plates in a plate carrier do make it hold shape and sit on your body better.

• I don't use a "ghillie" I use a hood which covers my head, shoulders and back and I can tell you now you still feel a hit through it however I agree there are some leaf suit wankers who think even though you've shot them it wasn't for them so don't take it.
  • high caps, I use 35rnd mags due to the MWS life and haven't used full auto in a game in years and I agree it's annoying when your shot gets blown or knocked off target however it would definitely make people play a complete different way; i.e. not full auto and walk the bbs onto the target. I can't stand it when it's been agreed everyone uses mids or lows and them some wanker appears with high caps. how much ammo are people using throughout the day? Woodland I maybe do 600rnds a day and CQB 1000 if I'm really trigger happy which is like 4 mag refills, one after each game, I am carrying less than 2 midcaps of ammo at any one time any more is unnecessary. 
  • Box or drum mags that aren't on a support gun (ARP users I'm looking at you).
  • Rubber knives, just another thing to lose which can be swapped out with a simple hand on the shoulder then you don't have the problem of people being stabbed by coldsteel training knives which are rock solid.
  • Any form of camo in an urban environment, your DPM isn't fooling anyone.
  • Any hop up chamber which requires a tool to adjust.
  • chemlights/glowsticks
  • cheap BBs which shatter upon touching any surface

• PEOPLE WHO WE DON'T NEED IN AIRSOFT
  • Those who say "I won't spend more than £20 on any airsoft kit because it's only airsoft" when you ask me what my kit is and how much it costs then proceed to poke fun at why I spent over a grand on what I'm wearing and using, then proceed to moan about your kit falling apart during a game. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS MORE DISPOSABLE INCOME THAN YOU DOESN'T MAKE THEM A BAD PERSON.
  • The people who have no time keeping ability, if a briefing is due to start at 10 and you wander into the safezone at 9:45 you're stopping everyone else's day. 
  • The people who feel it necessary to shout orders at random people across a site, +10 if they did cadets in 2001 and therefore they've "got military experience and training".
    /rant
37 minutes ago, Tackle said:

You wouldn't buy a new car in the full knowledge that it's not great

We must be bonkers 🤪

We sell a lot of new Land Rovers it's not just airsoft.

1 hour ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

VFC G3 is, as I understand it, very good for a VFC GBBR and performs quite well. 

See "for a VFC GBBR" doesn't mean a lot to me as they're normally anything from underwhelming to will eat itself after a couple of games

• Supporters
1 hour ago, DopeYourScope said:

We sell a lot of new Land Rovers it's not just airsoft.

Yeah I forgot about Landy's, when my Patrol got nicked about 10 years ago I thought about buying a 110, started reading the various Landy mags, of which there are many, & the general consensus was "don't buy one if you don't like tinkering", guys with 2 or 3 year old models having to replace parts that on the jap equivalents would last the lifetime of the motor, needless to say I went off that idea pretty quick.

• Supporters

Rubber knives, just another thing to lose which can be swapped out with a simple hand on the shoulder then you don't have the problem of people being stabbed by coldsteel training knives which are rock solid.

they seem to be mainly an acheivement thing, i wear one for looks but frankly if i get close enough to someone and i've got the drop on them i just give a bang kill with my selecter lever on full auto and the trigger about 0.5grams off the break point just in case theyre one of "those" guys.

Any form of camo in an urban environment, your DPM isn't fooling anyone.

the inverse is also very much true, them tactical operators turning up to outdoor sites in their black uniform with maybe some token multicam, but i suppose i shouldn't complain, makes my job a lot easier.

2 hours ago, DopeYourScope said:

Any hop up chamber which requires a tool to adjust.

oh god yes, it would be fine if it held its setting, but we all know that's not a thing that happens.

inspired by that: stealth bb's, great in theory, completely fucking useless after about 30 minutes when your hop has re-settled itself and you don't know where the hell it's going but you're still shooting like it's going where your sights are.

on a related note, and considering we're now doing people: the "i had him in my scope at 9x" crowd who simaltaneously don't understand that zeroing is a thing, or that even well zeroed you still have to put a crapton of kentucky windage on it if you want to actually hit something.

chemlights/glowsticks

i did pick up a bunch of ir glowsticks, yet to actually employ them in a night game, plan was to get them going and sneakily hand them out to the enemy team. other than that i do agree they have very limited utility in airsoft.

cheap BBs which shatter upon touching any surface

or just cheap bb's, although i must admit i do somewhat mightily take advantage of the .25g "sniper" types and enjoy every minute of it. you can have the most amazing gun out there but it'll still shoot like crap on bad ammo.

Those who say "I won't spend more than £20 on any airsoft kit because it's only airsoft" when you ask me what my kit is and how much it costs then proceed to poke fun at why I spent over a grand on what I'm wearing and using, then proceed to moan about your kit falling apart during a game. JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE HAS MORE DISPOSABLE INCOME THAN YOU DOESN'T MAKE THEM A BAD PERSON.

kinda 2 ends of the spectrum really, both are trying to flaunt something, one is flaunting wealth and the other is flaunting thriftyness. i must admit i find both sides have a point, a lot of cheap stuff can be surprisingly decent, but likewise a bit of money put into the right kit can also make life a fair bit more comfortable (eg lowa's might be expensive boots but by god do your feet enjoy them) but then i'm that weirdo who can run a £14 red dot on an e&l just to annoy both sides :P

The people who have no time keeping ability, if a briefing is due to start at 10 and you wander into the safezone at 9:45 you're stopping everyone else's day. 

a lot of the places i go to just run the briefing and if folk are late then they can show up to the battle late, not a perfect system but seems a decent compromise.

The people who feel it necessary to shout orders at random people across a site, +10 if they did cadets in 2001 and therefore they've "got military experience and training".

i don't mind shouting useful information, but i absolutely agree at drawing the line at orders. once had a very annoying chap who took it upon himself to "lead the team to victory", as we were running in he shouted at me to take a route which i'd already planned to take, needless to say i immediately turned the other direction just to spite him.

we can also add the "calls out literally everything they see regardless of the situation" types who inevitably only show up right behind you as you're trying to be stealthy

few more for myself:

- tacking literally everything onto the front of a gun, yes granted i shouldn't be so judgemental but i cant help but think "why you no engage brain?" when i see someone with a bipod, torch, peq box and front grip on a gun, yes i know the original call of duty only limited you to 1 accessory and you hated having to choose between a grenade launcher and a red dot but just because in airsoft you can doesnt mean you should. if your going to have anything strapped onto a gun you should first ask yourself why you think it's useful for the game you're about to play, if the answer is no then leave it off.

- the "doesnt take the time to learn the basics" types, now i know this is partly endemic of the wide variety of people that you see popping up in airsoft and not everyone is an engineer, but it's amazing how many times you run into someone who's either red with rage at "people not taking their hits" or equally red with rage at "this gun is shit" when the root of the problem is they never took any time to figure out that hop units are a thing that might enhance their enjoyment of the hobby.

-[contraversial] the "it only takes 1 shot" types. whilst yes i agree in an ideal world that you do only need 1 shot to get a hit, sadly we don't live in that world. on the rare occasion i've been playing with a crowd honest enough to play the game properly the whole day i've been stuck solidly in semi, taking careful single shots and waiting until it's made its mark (or been taken off course by a nearby robin farting) these days are to be treasured. the sad reality is there are people who can go right up the scale, and your choices are to leave, be "that guy" who's either screaming "take your hits" or calling the marshall every 5 minutes, or just accept that this is going to be one of those days that you need to dust off that other position on the selector lever. end of the day i'll send as many bb's as it takes to get a hit call and if that's the whole mag then that's what it'll be.

-the "328fps problem", or more correctly "people who justify cheating through ignorance", this really annoys me, it's kind of terrifying how often i'm chrono'ing on the heavies only to get a comment of "that's a bit low", i realise that physics is a dark and mysterious subject full of witchcraft and ideas that sound like the end result of an adventurous night out, but for people who run sites is it really that hard to spend an evening's research (because, y'know, the internet is full of it) figuring out what your chosen joule limit is for the common bb weights, tape a strip onto the chrono so you know when someone says "i'm on .3's mate" what number you should be expecting it to spit out. if people are going to run hot on a site i want them to have to lie about it so when they get caught an instaban is justified.

i should probably stop now, gonna end up sounding like a right bitter sod :P

Basically everything @DopeYourScope said.

I am a fellow MWS GBBR owner and I love the realism of real caps and the fact I have to think through what I am doing. I played with Hi-Caps when I first started and although I enjoyed it it just felt...... meh. If you have a high cap so you don't have to carry a load of mags fair enough but if you have a hi-cap because you empty it in a 40 minute walk on game the 'get in the bin!'

Also the disposable income thing. I have worked hard all my life and been through some very tight times previously so don't judge me if I want to spend MY money that I earned on something I want just because you can't afford to buy it. I have had a number of comments made especially when I switched to GBBRs. One guys took such offence that I had a real steel red dot, it was like I had shit in his mouth. Turns out, as his mate told me later, he was jealous and threw his toys out the pram. Tw@t!

9 hours ago, Tackle said:

Yeah I forgot about Landy's, when my Patrol got nicked about 10 years ago I thought about buying a 110, started reading the various Landy mags, of which there are many, & the general consensus was "don't buy one if you don't like tinkering", guys with 2 or 3 year old models having to replace parts that on the jap equivalents would last the lifetime of the motor, needless to say I went off that idea pretty quick.

you wouldn’t want to know the number of major engine components and driveline stuff I replace on cars that haven’t even reached a couple of years old. I can’t count the number of intake manifolds which also happen to be the cam cover on 3.0 diesels I’ve had to replace I’ve just finished one as I type this 😂.

image.thumb.jpg.42e55e3320aa75215b62b9ce36a7e1ad.jpg

You know what's wrong as well?

Any magnified optic over 4x for regular skirmishes.

I've heard countless times "reeeeee my gun has no range" because the guy had set his sniper scope to 9x and is trying to engage people at 100+m with a 1J gun.

They are useful for milsims (or our long range tournaments as well, they involve a lot of objective reconnaissance before assaulting them) for spotting purposes.

External knee pads.

Holy shit, how useless are they?

You either sinch them so tight they'll stop any blood flow to your feet ending up with an amputation or they just fucking slide down and become ankle pads.

Still on knee pads: low quality crye replica pads, you know, the ones you sometimes find around the field.

WARQ style helmets with integrated eyepro. This might be me being too picky when it comes to eye protection, but holy.. how bad do they look?

If I'd want to wear such a huge and useless piece of equipment I'd ride my motorcycle. At least the helmet is mandatory and is actually rated.

People showing up with brand new boots, all shiny and slippery. Those are the ones who end up quitting early because their feet hurt too much xD

Also, fuck you all, my ARP9 + drum is bae <3 lets me run as light as possible (see avatar)

• Supporters

Before it all gets out of hand I'm just going to leave this here:

OH SHUT UP, YOU!

Let us rant :P

• Supporters

Lol, thread not derailed much 🙄

images (2).jpeg

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Skara said:

Any magnified optic over 4x for regular skirmishes.

I've heard countless times "reeeeee my gun has no range" because the guy had set his sniper scope to 9x and is trying to engage people at 100+m with a 1J gun.

They are useful for milsims (or our long range tournaments as well, they involve a lot of objective reconnaissance before assaulting them) for spotting purposes.

see that's a tricky one, whilst i do agree that you absolutely do not need magnification to get a hit (look at rs where irons or open red dots are perfectly fine well in excess of airsoft distances) what a good bit of glass will let you do is track the bb, which if you are trying to do range work even at low energy is good because it'll help you see if you're on target or not, very useful when you can't rely on a dirt splash or someone dropping down dead as indicators of where your shots are actually landing.

i recently moved up to a 1.5-6x on my m4 for precisely this reason, but that's part of a whole system and the glass is just a way of making sure the bb is going where i want it to (and if not then what needs to be tweaked to acheive it).

1 hour ago, Skara said:

External knee pads.

Holy shit, how useless are they?

You either sinch them so tight they'll stop any blood flow to your feet ending up with an amputation or they just fucking slide down and become ankle pads.

Still on knee pads: low quality crye replica pads, you know, the ones you sometimes find around the field.

knee pads are tricky, i agree on external ones, tbh the best setup i ever had was getting a family member to sew some pockets on the front of my dpm trousers and popping in a set of ones meant for work trousers, if it works it works.

these days i don't run them, although i must admit to wishing i did have them sometimes. maybe get the same thing done to the gorka.

I always wear knee pads (in games...lol :lol: not everyday like going to Tescos...), have done for over 20 years since I played a woodland game and slammed my knee cap down on a hidden rock - ouch.

Bijan knee pads work perfectly well. Other pads I have I cross the straps in diagonals, they don't cut the blood flow and rarely slip.

GUYS.

Full Thrust.

We don't have enough proprietary shit in our replicas, we clearly need another one!

16 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i recently moved up to a 1.5-6x on my m4 for precisely this reason, but that's part of a whole system and the glass is just a way of making sure the bb is going where i want it to (and if not then what needs to be tweaked to acheive it).

Scopes shine for me when I need to pick out a target. Bigger target = easier to spot teams if the site's running confusing camo etc.

on knee pads I do loves a good slide and my knees would be wrecked without em. my latest set were full shin to knee. still spun round my legs mind. when I get back to outdoors I will look at solving that but for now not an indoors requirement.

I quite like a bit of fun to my looks/ loadout. more army of two/ umbrella corp. I don't like over serious  loadouts (milsimmers worst nightmare)

Archived