"134a" vs ASG ultrair vs Nuprol 1.0

Cromulon1994
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Tanakas, marushins ect like to be fed 134a, which seems almost impossible to get. It's also recommended in the NE Sten manual. 

I tested the sten on ASG ultrair last night at 300 fps on 0.25g bbs, which is very close to site limits. 

It's my understanding, it may be incorrect, that ultrair is halfway between 134a and standard green gas power wise. 

Is Nuprol 1.0 a good substitute for 134a? 

I'm very wary of Nuprol products as I remember their square BB range. 

134a is illegal to vent into atmosphere (Kyoto Protocol, 1997), which is why it's impossible to find. The environmentally responsible version, 144a is very easy to obtain - https://www.abbeysupply.com/products/gun-gas-144a

Nuprol 1.0 is still derived from propane, which is distinctly higher pressure than 144a. 

Propane based gases like nuprol will be ~125psi

144a is ~90psi

Making them about 33% more.

It's not to say it won't work, but it will likely impinge on the longevity of the gun.

On 24/11/2019 at 08:56, GiantKiwi said:

134a is illegal to vent into atmosphere (Kyoto Protocol, 1997), which is why it's impossible to find. The environmentally responsible version, 144a is very easy to obtain - https://www.abbeysupply.com/products/gun-gas-144a

Nuprol 1.0 is still derived from propane, which is distinctly higher pressure than 144a. 

Propane based gases like nuprol will be ~125psi

144a is ~90psi

Making them about 33% more.

It's not to say it won't work, but it will likely impinge on the longevity of the gun.

Thanks, subsequently failed to find a retailer that had any in stock that could have got me some before my game tomorrow. Oh well. 

Thanks for the help. I will just use the 144a. I thought that may have also been banned, I wasn't sure on the correct terminology. 

Archived